Have Y'all Seen The Lawyer Commercial For NCAA Athletes That Have Had Concussions

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I was watching TNA Wrestling, yes I grew up watching Pro Wrestling, and still watch it still today, that's a topic for the Non-Sports Board..LOL..Anyways..One of the commercials I saw on the Spike Channel from a National Law Firm, was for athletes that have suffered from concussions while playing an NCAA sport..They might as well just said for any college football players, that's suffered concussions, while playing an NCAA college football, I'm sure that's who the law firm was targeting in the commercial..My heart sank as I was watching the commercial, I feel bad for those players that suffers from concussions, but, should the NCAA have a lot of lawsuits it has to pay out, it could really affect college football as we know & love it..

If the NCAA has a bunch of lawsuits & pays out an ungodly amount of money through those lawsuits..Could the NCAA simply shut down college football, so they won't be held liable for paying out so much money..I don't think it would ever come to that, but, college football is close to becoming flag football now days as it is, I cringe to think how big lawsuits & all that the money the will pay out through these kinda commercials, could change the game we love, even more so & not for the better, but, for the worse of the game..

What do y'all think about these type commercials & how could it negatively affect college football as we know it today???

Last edited:

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
TideMan09, anything's possible when ya got a law firm that is wanting a "Different Angle" to jump on the personal injury wagon, and score multiple clients, their all looking for something different nowadays and wanting to be the first litagators. It's called Tort Hunting, and it's a nasty way to be a Counselor at Law sometimes. I just wonder what's in the contract for a client. You see, on these big drug cases that you see on t.v., the Firm settles with the company being sued and the client, if lucky may see a sixteenth, (if that) for his pain and suffering. and that's just what these guys are. They're Tort lawyers trying to gain a buck. That's why you see commercials for it on t.v. The NCAA may very well find itself in "Tort Court" one day with a class action filed against it for cucussions, but the players will not benefit from it like they think they will. And I believe that "Money talks"...and you know what walks as to I think that the NCAA and it's organizations all the way up to the NFL will raise the argument that this was a Voluntary sport that caused the condition. I mean the players knew what could possibly happen in a sport this violent. I mean look at Boxing, I love to watch boxing, and the fighters go into the match and in standard contracts havta sign a no pros in case they are severely hurt or killed. But you"ve never heard of Tort lawyers hanging around a boxing arena have you? Of course not. I believe there may be a class action sometime in the near future on this, but it's going to be the players that wind up getting the screws put to them even more. I may be wrong. But in the future in College and Pro athletics we may be seeing the NCAA lawyers making a stipend, when someone signs his letter to play in College or contract to play Pro, that that is in the contract that they know full well and have been notified of what possible injuries may or may not be incurred.

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yup..I agree 100% with ya Brad & in a round about way, this kinda contract, will lead to paying players for college football, when a full ride on scholarship should be more than enough for these players..Heck..These players have access to their schools weight rooms, which rival any NFL teams facilities, and are taken care medically when injury happens while playing college football..These players have no idea ho lucky they truly are & it makes me sick to my stomach thinking about paying college football players..It takes college football to semi pro territory, and that's not good at all for college football if y'all ask me..
TideMan09, anything's possible when ya got a law firm that is wanting a "Different Angle" to jump on the personal injury wagon, and score multiple clients, their all looking for something different nowadays and wanting to be the first litagators. It's called Tort Hunting, and it's a nasty way to be a Counselor at Law sometimes. I just wonder what's in the contract for a client. You see, on these big drug cases that you see on t.v., the Firm settles with the company being sued and the client, if lucky may see a sixteenth, (if that) for his pain and suffering. and that's just what these guys are. They're Tort lawyers trying to gain a buck. That's why you see commercials for it on t.v. The NCAA may very well find itself in "Tort Court" one day with a class action filed against it for cucussions, but the players will not benefit from it like they think they will. And I believe that "Money talks"...and you know what walks as to I think that the NCAA and it's organizations all the way up to the NFL will raise the argument that this was a Voluntary sport that caused the condition. I mean the players knew what could possibly happen in a sport this violent. I mean look at Boxing, I love to watch boxing, and the fighters go into the match and in standard contracts havta sign a no pros in case they are severely hurt or killed. But you"ve never heard of Tort lawyers hanging around a boxing arena have you? Of course not. I believe there may be a class action sometime in the near future on this, but it's going to be the players that wind up getting the screws put to them even more. I may be wrong. But in the future in College and Pro athletics we may be seeing the NCAA lawyers making a stipend, when someone signs his letter to play in College or contract to play Pro, that that is in the contract that they know full well and have been notified of what possible injuries may or may not be incurred.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
T, I don't know if we will see CFB players paid, ever since the Unionization of those players failed. I think that the majority of them realized that the Colleges could argue all the way to Supreme Court that the players ARE being paid, in a way. I mean if you look up payment in the dictionary it defines it as a "monies or a reward for performing a task", and the players receive access to full time PROFESSIONAL football coaches to mold their skills into better players. I mean how much does a "personal coach" cost a qb wanting to improve his skill before he enters the NFL? Those guys cost a fortune! IMHO these kids are receiving that free in college, maybe by not as famous a coach or whatever, but by a PROFESSIONAL qb Coach. Plus, they are receiving FREE medical. You've never heard of a player that had knee surgery and his family takes out a loan for the procedure have you? lol...Of course not. Plus FREE room and board and etc and etc. I could go on about the benefits that a recruit receives once he enters college. And that's what I think the NCAA and Colleges could argue in a courtroom about payment received for services.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I agree 100% with Brad..These players are coddled to no end as it is & have access to things the rest of us could only dream about..I hope college football never pays players..Cause what they receive in return for playing college football..Is way more than enough already, but, I have a feeling some greedy players, that will have folks in their ears telling them they should be paid(Agents), will keep pushing that issue & it's not going to be good for the good of college football at all..I sure enuff hope I'm dead wrong about that Bro..
T, I don't know if we will see CFB players paid, ever since the Unionization of those players failed. I think that the majority of them realized that the Colleges could argue all the way to Supreme Court that the players ARE being paid, in a way. I mean if you look up payment in the dictionary it defines it as a "monies or a reward for performing a task", and the players receive access to full time PROFESSIONAL football coaches to mold their skills into better players. I mean how much does a "personal coach" cost a qb wanting to improve his skill before he enters the NFL? Those guys cost a fortune! IMHO these kids are receiving that free in college, maybe by not as famous a coach or whatever, but by a PROFESSIONAL qb Coach. Plus, they are receiving FREE medical. You've never heard of a player that had knee surgery and his family takes out a loan for the procedure have you? lol...Of course not. Plus FREE room and board and etc and etc. I could go on about the benefits that a recruit receives once he enters college. And that's what I think the NCAA and Colleges could argue in a courtroom about payment received for services.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
I wonder if Earle and other "normal" lawyers have as much disdain for them (ambulance chasers - In a wreck, Need a check) lawyers as most of us do or if they know we have to have them. In other words, I wonder if they think tort reform is needed or not.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
I wonder if Earle and other "normal" lawyers have as much disdain for them (ambulance chasers - In a wreck, Need a check) lawyers as most of us do or if they know we have to have them. In other words, I wonder if they think tort reform is needed or not.
After almost 20 years in Law Enforcement and working as a baliff, I've seen and read about all sorts of cases that come through the court system on Personal Injury. And 10 times outta 10 when there's a settlement, I wonder how much did the client actually receive? Talking with Judges, they really think Tort reform is needed, because it keeps their court dockets full unless the parties decide to fast track. Which is hardly ever done in a case like this. I just hope that the NCAA will head this off first with an formal inquiry into not just concussions, but other injuries that may be obtained by playing CFB. Because it will start with concussions and wind up with any former player with some sort of previous injury obtained wanting to join the act. JMO.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
With all due respect to lawyers (and I mean that), there simply are too many lawyers in the USA (IMO). According to the American Bar Assn, there was 1 lawyer per 254 people in the USA in 2010, with over 140,000 law students coming thru Law School for the last 5 years (only years I saw records). Contrast that with the rest of the world......according to Wiki, the UK has 1 per 401 people, France has 1 per 1,403 people. Our per capita lawyer rate (again IMO) contributes to the number of Personal Injury cases.

Aside from all that, I'm surprised the wording in whatever agreement the student athlete signs doesn't already contain indemnity and hold-harmless clauses to protect the university and the NCAA. Perhaps the lawyers on the board (if I haven't alienated them) can comment on that.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I am a lawyer and sure it bothers you at some level. We are professionals and as a group want to maintain our ethics. If you read our industry publication you would see that we are serious about our ethics as lawyers get suspended and disbarred all the time. Nonetheless, you have good attorneys and bad ones as with any profession.

But think about this rhetorically for a minute. There might be too many lawyers granted. But I would also argue tort reform to date has caused this. In order to make a living lawyers have had to take on more marginal cases and inflate them further rather than just focusing on cases with real damages that need to be compensated. Also criminal dockets are overwhelming the court system leaving less time handling civil matters.

It's easy to hate lawyers as a group I know but in reality if have ever had a serious injury personal or financial you need a lawyer because you can't leave your fate up to the benevolence of insurance companies or corporate generosity.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I was watching TNA Wrestling, yes I grew up watching Pro Wrestling, and still watch it still today, that's a topic for the Non-Sports Board..LOL..Anyways..One of the commercials I saw on the Spike Channel from a National Law Firm, was for athletes that have suffered from concussions while playing an NCAA sport..They might as well just said for any college football players, that's suffered concussions, while playing an NCAA college football, I'm sure that's who the law firm was targeting in the commercial..My heart sank as I was watching the commercial, I feel bad for those players that suffers from concussions, but, should the NCAA have a lot of lawsuits it has to pay out, it could really affect college football as we know & love it..

If the NCAA has a bunch of lawsuits & pays out an ungodly amount of money through those lawsuits..Could the NCAA simply shut down college football, so they won't be held liable for paying out so much money..I don't think it would ever come to that, but, college football is close to becoming flag football now days as it is, I cringe to think how big lawsuits & all that the money the will pay out through these kinda commercials, could change the game we love, even more so & not for the better, but, for the worse of the game..

What do y'all think about these type commercials & how could it negatively affect college football as we know it today???
Did that commercial really target the NCAA as a party defendant? The NCAA is NOT the NFL. The NCAA doesn't make the decision to play or not play a particular player, so how on earth could they be responsible for it? That organization doesn't even set guidelines for play after a concussion. The NCAA is a dry hole for liability purposes. I'm afraid a lot of people equate it, basically a voluntary membership organization, to the NFL. This is a completely false analogy. The suit can only lie against the school or the doctor who cleared play. The doctor could be a target, but the school is protected by SOVEREIGN IMMUNITY. If you haven't paid attention to my past 100 posts on the topic, do a search. UA invokes it regularly. FSU was brought up as a defendant in the Winston case. FL law limits liability to $200K per person, $300K per incident. The commercial may hint at more, but it ain't there. Now, for me, my practice is confined to business law (still less since 2008), estate planning and handling. I detest lawyer advertisements, just like I do commercials for patented drugs (in common with all the doctors I know).

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yup it specifically said NCAA Sports..The commercial said if you have played any NCAA Sports & have suffered head injuries or concussions..To contact this law firm..I wish I had recorded it, but, it caught me by surprise as I was watching it & I haven't seen it on any other channels or have actually seen it again..I've been trying to find it on YouTube & if I do..I'll post it in this thread..It had to be a fairly new commercial..I had never seen it before nor since actually..After watching it I had the sense it was targeting college football even though it just said if you've played any NCAA Sports to contact them..
Did that commercial really target the NCAA as a party defendant? The NCAA is NOT the NFL. The NCAA doesn't make the decision to play or not play a particular player, so how on earth could they be responsible for it? That organization doesn't even set guidelines for play after a concussion. The NCAA is a dry hole for liability purposes. I'm afraid a lot of people equate it, basically a voluntary membership organization, to the NFL. This is a completely false analogy. The suit can only lie against the school or the doctor who cleared play. The doctor could be a target, but the school is protected by SOVEREIGN IMMUNITY. If you haven't paid attention to my past 100 posts on the topic, do a search. UA invokes it regularly. FSU was brought up as a defendant in the Winston case. FL law limits liability to $200K per person, $300K per incident. The commercial may hint at more, but it ain't there. Now, for me, my practice is confined to business law (still less since 2008), estate planning and handling. I detest lawyer advertisements, just like I do commercials for patented drugs (in common with all the doctors I know).

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
As I said I think this commercial pretty much targets former NCAA college football player, despite it saying, any athlete that suffered concussions that required medical treatments while playing an NCAA Sport..I reckon college basketball players could suffer them when they bang their head on the hardwood floor, or baseball, softball players gets binged in the head from a line drive..College wrestlers is another sport I could see suffering concussions, but, when you say NCAA & concussions, you automatically think college football..I may be wrong thinking this commercial target former college football players..That's just my opinion though & was the 1st think I thought of when I saw this commercial the other night when I started this thread..Which sport do y'all think this commercial is targeting ????..

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
As I said I think this commercial pretty much targets former NCAA college football player, despite it saying, any athlete that suffered concussions that required medical treatments while playing an NCAA Sport..I reckon college basketball players could suffer them when they bang their head on the hardwood floor, or baseball, softball players gets binged in the head from a line drive..College wrestlers is another sport I could see suffering concussions, but, when you say NCAA & concussions, you automatically think college football..I may be wrong thinking this commercial target former college football players..That's just my opinion though & was the 1st think I thought of when I saw this commercial the other night when I started this thread..Which sport do y'all think this commercial is targeting ????..
I hate to be "the lawyer," but they're not saying they'll sue the NCAA at all. They're just referring to "NCAA sports." You have to listen to the "fine print." :)

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Gotcha..I took it as if you played say college football & suffered concussion that needed medical treatment after you finish school, they would take you case & possibly sue the NCAA on you behalf to receive medical care & treatment for treatment you're still having to go through now & & take over if you're trying to get help or money through the NCAA..But. I understand what you're saying though ..
I hate to be "the lawyer," but they're not saying they'll sue the NCAA at all. They're just referring to "NCAA sports." You have to listen to the "fine print." :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Gotcha..I took it as if you played say college football & suffered concussion that needed medical treatment after you finish school, they would take you case & possibly sue the NCAA on you behalf to receive medical care & treatment for treatment you're still having to go through now & & take over if you're trying to get help or money through the NCAA..But. I understand what you're saying though ..
Throwing out the "NCAA" label is their misleading hook and it's intentional. To repeat, I see no grounds at all for suing the NCAA for a concussion issue. The NCAA does not equal the NFL, not even by even a long shot...

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
I just wish they let players earn money away from the field, that could go a long way to keeping the University from ever having to "pay" players.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.