Boise blasts SEC, Big 10

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
The University of Alabama built their "Brand" over 124 years of playing what for the most part is an elite brand of football. The johnny come latelys of the world want everything now. It just doesn't work that way Boise. Pay your dues first, then see what happens.
You speak truth, but sadly the instant gratification-success-money theme has become part of our National identity. I pray for the US and our direction nightly.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Other than rich alumni, most of the budget for their football team would have to come from the fans filling up their stadium of, I think it is 36,000. We pack more fans into Bryant Denny for a practice. I wonder how much they wasted on all that ugly blue carpet that they thought would give them an edge.

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Boise is kind of like someone who just lost a fist fight, shouting over his shoulder, 'You ain't heard the last of this'... As he does a tactical retreat.

When Boise plays legit teams on a 'Green Grass' field and dominates on a regular basis,
they should call the SEC or Big 10 to get their butt handed to them by some great teams.

IMO: Boise is kind of a 'Powder Puff Team', wondering why none of the 'Big Boys' want to come to his house for play time.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Btw - let's not be deceived by the rhetoric. How many big name teams has Boise actually beaten? This is something that never gets asked even though it's an obvious question. So let's take a look. Since his big beef is with the Big Five, let's see what Boise's OVERALL record on this is:

1996 Arizona State, L
1997 Wisconsin, L
1997 Washington St, L
1998 Washington St, L
1999 UCLA, L
2000 Arkansas, L
2000 Washington St, L
2001 S Carolina, L
2001 Washington St, L
2002 Arkansas, L
2002 Iowa St, W (one month to prepare)
2003 Oregon St, L
2004 Oregon St, W (note that Oregon St lost six days earlier in Baton Rouge to Saban)
2005 Georgia, L
2005 Oregon St, L
2005 Boston College, L
2006 Oregon St, W
2006 Oklahoma, W (one month to prepare)
2007 Washington, L (the Huskies were 4-9 that year)
2008 Oregon, W
2009 Oregon, W (eight months to prepare)
2010 Va Tech, W (but note Va Tech also lost to James Madison)
2010 Oregon State, W
2011 Georgia, W
2011 Arizona St, W (one month to prepare)
2012 Michigan St, L
2012 Washington, W (one month to prepare)
2013 Washington, L (eight months to prepare)
2013 Oregon St, L (one month to prepare)

Boise State overall record vs Big Five teams: 11-18

Now figure that of those 11 victories, FOUR were instances where they more than one week to prep and another was when they got Oregon State on short rest right after the Beavers traveled to hard-hitting LSU and lost a dogfight, 22-21, in Baton Rouge.

Does anyone want to surmise that maybe getting beat up by a Saban-coached defense on the road might have contributed to the next week's loss (insert 2012 aTm reference here)?

The part that boggles my mind is why their win over OU is a standard point of reference but the loss to an awful Washington team just two games later is NEVER brought up. I realize that because of when it was a lot of people saw it but then again - App State beat Michigan in the Big House, a FAR MORE IMPRESSIVE accomplishment given the distance between programs (talent-wise) than Boise having a month to prepare for a coach who has given choking a new name ("Stoop-ing").

The fact is that Boise is below .500 in their attempt to "expose" how wasteful college football spending is.

Besides - how does it help your case to win that one big game you play but then somehow lose to teams like Nevada (2010) or TCU (2011) when the entire national championship game is riding on the outcome?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Does Boise even make money on their sports program? If not is if fair to make the students pay?
Whether or not BSU has a profitable football program is probably not relevant - any losses would be the result of additional expenses, most of which are not required to run a football program at their level. The football program, hence the players, bring in a huge amount of revenue. It is up to the athletic department to turn that into a profit through fiscal policy.

As for making the students pay - the players certainly should not be paying for things like adequate medical insurance to cover their injury expenses for a period of time post-college football.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Three years ago I made this point about Boise State:

Let's take your argument about how "in one game" Boise State could beat anybody. Sure. One would not have to affect the ratings one iota to already know this. The landscape is full of them including Appalachian State over Michigan in the Big House a few years ago. But since when is college football a one-game season? The people who believe this is true sure didn't speak out years ago when it was Tulane going unbeaten or Marshall. And those teams both played tougher schedules than Boise State does on a regular basis. But nobody seriously argued that because App State could beat Michigan "in one game" that that means App State should get a shot at the national championship, do they?

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
Whether or not BSU has a profitable football program is probably not relevant - any losses would be the result of additional expenses, most of which are not required to run a football program at their level. The football program, hence the players, bring in a huge amount of revenue. It is up to the athletic department to turn that into a profit through fiscal policy.

As for making the students pay - the players certainly should not be paying for things like adequate medical insurance to cover their injury expenses for a period of time post-college football.
I thought their program lost money, I was wrong. I was talking about your average students paying more to have a football team. Doesn't seem to be the case for Boise.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Since joining the Power Five conferences: Utah, 9-18. TCU, 6-12. W Virginia, 6-12. Yes, all three have lost FIFTY PERCENT of their conference games since moving to the big leagues. Oh, how impressive!!

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
And now with Chris Petersen at Washington I would expect we have seen the end of Boise State.
Hope your wrong.
I want to see Boise take many thrashings.

Kind of like the 'Knock Out Game', where a young punk tries to blind side someone.
If it don't work the only thing keeping the punk from getting his butt kicked is his gang.
Boise doesn't have a gang... ;)

With Peterson gone, Boise has lost it's punch.
NOW COMES THE ENTERTAINMENT WE CALL 'PAY BACK'... :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.