Bottom 30 pre-season poll

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Just shows how hard it can be to schedule non-conference games. Usually games get scheduled 5-10 years in advance. If you scheduled Kansas, Hawaii and Rutgers in 2007 you would have thought ok, 2 Teams coming off of BCS Bowls and a Rutgers team from a BCS conference that went to a bowl game. Seven years later you'd be better off with North Texas, FAU and Western Kentucky!

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Just shows how hard it can be to schedule non-conference games. Usually games get scheduled 5-10 years in advance. If you scheduled Kansas, Hawaii and Rutgers in 2007 you would have thought ok, 2 Teams coming off of BCS Bowls and a Rutgers team from a BCS conference that went to a bowl game. Seven years later you'd be better off with North Texas, FAU and Western Kentucky!
Kinda like Bama scheduling WVU when they were a top 10 team with a Heisman frontrunner and coming off an Orange Bowl win.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well they have grade requirements that are on par with Vandy. I guess they weren't really that smart after all. However had GA Tech and Tulane not left the SEC we wouldn't have Mizzou or A&M today. Maybe HSV or Selma knows why they left....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was a mutual thing when they left. Their stadium is being rebuilt now and I think the capacity is still only going to be 30K. IIRC, they were a charter member and it would have been very hard to remove them. Once again, IIRC, it was a mutual thing. They didn't belong with the big players, even to a greater degree than Vandy, and you could make an argument that Vandy doesn't belong. OTOH, I think they are also charter members. Now, GA Tech was strictly one-sided. They wanted out and the other members consented...

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
I read something a while back that said Tech turned around in 2 years and tried to get back into the SEC. But Coach Dodd was told at the time that he had essentially burned the bridges behind him.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
It was a mutual thing when they left. Their stadium is being rebuilt now and I think the capacity is still only going to be 30K. IIRC, they were a charter member and it would have been very hard to remove them. Once again, IIRC, it was a mutual thing. They didn't belong with the big players, even to a greater degree than Vandy, and you could make an argument that Vandy doesn't belong. OTOH, I think they are also charter members. Now, GA Tech was strictly one-sided. They wanted out and the other members consented...
Yeah I looked that up and it seems like Bobby Dodd hated Alabama and CPB even more that the barn or Tennessee. I guess they are a better fit for the ACC though. I saw a picture if CPB wearing a football helmet into GA Tech's stadium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I read something a while back that said Tech turned around in 2 years and tried to get back into the SEC. But Coach Dodd was told at the time that he had essentially burned the bridges behind him.
Actually it was in 1975, eleven years after GT left the SEC in 1964. The Atlanta TV market was larger than the rest of the SEC combined so it was Coach Bryant, foreseeing the big TV money and expansion we have today, telling Dodd that he would sponsor GT's application for re-admittance to the conference. Dodd said thanks, but no thanks, because he knew the Mississippi schools would never allow him back in. Dodd would not take GT to Oxford nor Starkville. He had played Ole Miss twice. In Atlanta and New Orleans. He never scheduled Mississippi State.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.