Link: Yeldon's Demise has been Greatly Exaggerated

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click here

As a society, why are we so quick to dismiss what's proven for the latest, "greatest," phenomenon? As it pertains to fans of Alabama Crimson Tide football, superstar tailback T.J. Yeldon is being cast aside as yesterday's news in favor of sophomore phenom Derrick Henry.

Don't get me wrong; Henry deserves the amount of attention he's receiving.

But one must ask oneself the question: Will Henry really accomplish anything that Yeldon hasn't already? This whole situation is very reminiscent of how former Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram was treated his final season in Tuscaloosa -- with the younger star Trent Richardson playing the role of Henry.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I think TJ will still be our starter and get most of the touches (not as many as last year). Derrick and Kenyan will get their touches also. TJ will be a 2nd or 3rd round NFL draft choice and Kenyan may also.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
good points, but one very bad one regarding "perceived fumbling issues"...it's more than just perception...it's reality.
I agree. I had trouble with the link, but this is the only thing, other than off the field issues, that I think would keep DH from just totally passing him by.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
He needs to stop fumbling in big games. He fumbled in the aTm game in 2012, fumbled in the Iron Bowl in 2013 then turns around and coughs another one up in the Sugar Bowl in 2014. It's the amount of fumbles that are the big deal but when he does it.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
He needs to stop fumbling in big games. He fumbled in the aTm game in 2012, fumbled in the Iron Bowl in 2013 then turns around and coughs another one up in the Sugar Bowl in 2014. It's the amount of fumbles that are the big deal but when he does it.
I almost said something similar and I would add that he has fumbled at very key moments of games that kill momentum.

All fumbles are bad, but some stick out worse when the game is at a critical time. That's when he seems to fumble.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Yeah TJ has to stop laying it down in very critical situations..
Without that fumble on the one last year we may have beaten A@M by six touchdowns.
As it was they made a decent comeback.
Nothing's worse than a TO to change momentum.
sip

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
He also fumbled in the 2013 Texas A&M game, and if I'm not mistaken the 2012 LSU and Georgia games. It's obviously a mental thing. Arms gets loose when the game gets tight. He performs very well in big moments, just can't hold onto the ball.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
Good backs fumble sometimes and that's OK. But when I see TJ fighting through a crowd with one arm on the baby, and I'm screaming at the TV to wrap it up, and 3 plays later he fumbles it, that's not OK. At least the problem seems to be coachable - put both arms on the ball shouldn't be that hard to do.

But when he finds some running room, boy is he fun to watch. Henry is fun too, but he is more like an express train, magnificent breakaway speed. But TJ runs upright and smooth, and he seems to get a lot of reaction out of small head fakes.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I hate to pile on but I guess I will take the 15 yd. penalty here. I am hoping he spends time with ball security so we can all be at ease on every running play like we were with Ingram, Richardson, and Lacey. Sometimes we take things for granted. It can be done. I still remember people bashing Eddie about his fumbling issues before he became the feature back.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
He fumbled inside the 5 yd line against A&M in 2013 as well when a touchdown would have put the game away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Yes he has fumbled at key times..but let's not forget his catch in the LSU game and his key first down in the SECCG where he was stopped 5 yards short at first and battled for the first down. Right after that first down AJ threw to Cooper for the winning touchdown.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Yes he has fumbled at key times..but let's not forget his catch in the LSU game and his key first down in the SECCG where he was stopped 5 yards short at first and battled for the first down. Right after that first down AJ threw to Cooper for the winning touchdown.
Sometimes we forget the good things about players.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
He's made a lot of key plays for us, but his fumbling is a real problem that needs to be corrected. If my memory serves me correctly he's fumbled in every close game we've been in over the last two seasons. His track record with fumbling is, frankly, terrible.

edit: Actually, he didn't fumble in the SECCG. So five out of six close games over the last two seasons.

Last edited:

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
when he's at his finest he reminds me of marcus allen the way he glides, but the fumbling always seems to come at the worst times. other than that, he's a tremendous player.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I don't think anyone is doubting that TJ has tremendous ability. I'll remember that play against Mizzou for the rest of my life, the play to convert the first down in the SECCG was huge, and obviously the screen pass. However, we are seemingly loaded with studs at RB who could make these plays. If they can make these plays without fumbling then they are the better play than Yeldon. In fact if they can come close to his production without fumbling they are the better play IMO.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I don't think anyone is doubting that TJ has tremendous ability. I'll remember that play against Mizzou for the rest of my life, the play to convert the first down in the SECCG was huge, and obviously the screen pass. However, we are seemingly loaded with studs at RB who could make these plays. If they can make these plays without fumbling then they are the better play than Yeldon. In fact if they can come close to his production without fumbling they are the better play IMO.
Agreed. I think it's actually significantly simpler than that.

We have others who can make those plays. We also have others who can hold onto the }^#}^ ball. Hold onto it, and the criticism goes away. Continue it, and lose your spot. And millions in the NFL.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
His fumbling is due to too much effort, actually. They've happened in such critical moments because it's usually him trying stretch out for a score or a first down. He's trying too hard to get that extra yard instead of just focusing on ball security.

JMO.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
His fumbling is due to too much effort, actually. They've happened in such critical moments because it's usually him trying stretch out for a score or a first down. He's trying too hard to get that extra yard instead of just focusing on ball security.

JMO.
I know for a fact cause that his fumble against Kentucky was inexcusable. He got brushed and fumbled. He needs work in all areas of ball security, but I have no doubt that he knows it and is going to be working like crazy on it. Of all the starters on the team Yeldon probably has the most pressure because Drake has shown his ability, Henry has too in flashes which has created a hype machine, and the other backs are all studs in their own right.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yup..He simply doesn't hold the ball "high & tight" when he carries the ball..He holds the ball loosely down by his side when he runs the ball..He's done that since he's been at Bama..It's how he ran with the ball in high school & I take it he was never taught the proper technique while in high school..And our coaches haven't been able to break him of that bad habit..I hope he can be taught the proper technique before he goes Pro..Cause NFL teams will pass from taking him cause he doesn't use what is perceived as the proper way of holding the ball as a RB..

JMO.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.