Link: Blake Sims' Private QB Coach Helping Him Build Mental Game, Discipline

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Here's a good write up from The Anniston Star that interviewed Ken Mastrole, the QB Coach, Blake has been working with this summer, to help mentally improve his game & become a better & help Blake win the QB battle this summer & coming Fall Camp..

Here's The Link..CLICK ME

Mastrole said Sims’ training is built around “mental and visual techniques” which includes film study. He also puts Sims through a series of on-field drills to work on eye discipline, timing, footwork and other tools that one needs to successfully play quarterback. Mastrole said he hasn’t spoken with Alabama’s coaches and that he doesn’t focus too much on a team’s specific playbook.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yup..Nothing against Blake, but, I agree with ya & I hope Coker takes control of the offense, and wins the job early on in Fall Camp..So the offense can get behind Coker & they mesh together as a unit..I really hope there's no QB controversy when we play West Virginia..They're a team that can beat us if we're not clicking together as a unit on offense..JMHO
I really has Blake won't win, but I really admire his spirit.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Blake is very obviously one of the "good guys," and we all wish him well. I'd absolutely love to see him win the starting role, for a number of reasons. However, he was never recruited to be a drop back, pro-set QB. I've just never seen a QB be switched from the QB roster to RB and then be switched back, only to win the top QB job. Always a first for everything, I guess...

Braveheart

All-SEC
Feb 12, 2006
I think Blake has the physical abilities to be a pretty good SEC QB. Good runner, decent arm strength. I don't know if he can be consistently good with the long ball but he's got plenty of arm strength to toss the short and intermediate routes and in college, if you can do that you can be a very effective QB.

It's the mental aspects he has to improve on. I'd like to see him win the job but that's just it, he's got to EARN the job. Time will tell.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Not sure a coach can teach someone to not panic and make poor decisions.
To pull it down and try to run against 7 guys already in your back field sez you made a poor choice.
Unless your JM, to throw it up for grabs rather than fall on the ball, can be another poor choice.
To ignore quality established Running Backs and try to be a one man team... Poor Choice.

I hope the coach can work wonders, cause at some point Sims may have to deliver.
If not Sims; I hope Cooper is everything he has been advertised to be, and has the luck of the Irish when needed.
Either way we need a QB with his head in the game.

Part of the success of GM and AJ is that they made great decision most of the time.
(THAT WINS GAMES)

Last edited by a moderator:

11b

Jul 8, 2013
I cannot figure out how to copy using tapatalk,so in reply to ole man dan i had a drill Sargent that I am glad to say disagrees with your first statement. It worked for him.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I'm sorry but if he hasn't "got it" mentally in the five years he's been with the football program I don't think some work with another QB coach is going to help a whole lot. BS is nice to have as a backup and to come in and run the read option in blowouts to run out the clock. His biggest problem is that to win championships there are a handful of throws in top tier games that have to be made and BS cannot make those throws. Those throws take poise, being cool in the pocket and under pressure, along with fantastic accuracy and reading the defense. Like the throw AJ made deep to Coop to beat Georgia, the throw AJ made deep to Coop that should have sealed the AU game, and so forth. I wouldn't have confidence that BS could make those big time throws. Sure BS could beat probably 2/3 of the teams on our schedule but I don't see him being able to make the throws to beat the elite teams. JMO

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I'd have more faith in the potential success of this endeavor had Blake started working with the guy say... two, perhaps three, years ago. He'd be polishing those skills at this point as opposed to developing them. Wishing him the best all the same.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
It seems to me that we remain quite vested in Blake's continued development since his erstwhile replacement hasn't taken a meaningful snap in more than three years. Here's hoping all three candidates work hard all summer and the best man wins the job.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't know if he's the answer but at least the guy keeps on trying to improve. Gives some hope if things go sideways at QB.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Would someone explain to me why QB's need a private tutor? Do we not have coaches who can teach them all they need to improve and produce? Nussmaier and Kiffin have to know more than a QB "coach" we never heard of until now.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I think Blake has the physical abilities to be a pretty good SEC QB. Good runner, decent arm strength. I don't know if he can be consistently good with the long ball but he's got plenty of arm strength to toss the short and intermediate routes and in college, if you can do that you can be a very effective QB.

It's the mental aspects he has to improve on. I'd like to see him win the job but that's just it, he's got to EARN the job. Time will tell.
If Blake does win the QB job that means a lot since we all presume that Coker is the real deal. I honestly think coker will win the job but blake would still play a big part, I think.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
If Blake does win the QB job that means a lot since we all presume that Coker is the real deal. I honestly think coker will win the job but blake would still play a big part, I think.
Blake has no shot of winning the QB job. Writing has been on the wall for weeks now for those that can read between the lines. He's a fine team player and backup QB.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Would someone explain to me why QB's need a private tutor? Do we not have coaches who can teach them all they need to improve and produce? Nussmaier and Kiffin have to know more than a QB "coach" we never heard of until now.
Maybe it has something to do with the amount of time he is allowed to be coached during the summer months by Bama coaches so he has to go outside to get special training.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
Blake has no shot of winning the QB job. Writing has been on the wall for weeks now for those that can read between the lines. He's a fine team player and backup QB.
I agree. I just really hate it for Blake. It seems he has been team first from day one, I'm glad he came to BAMA.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
What lines? I don't think Blake will start either, but no chance? Are you psychic or something? Coker hasn't even played a snap in scrimmage.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
What lines? I don't think Blake will start either, but no chance? Are you psychic or something? Coker hasn't even played a snap in scrimmage.
Probably the lines where Saban has continued to mention Blake as a possibility when media members ask about Coker starting.

I'm not sure he'll start, but some folks seem to immediately dismiss Blake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Probably the lines where Saban has continued to mention Blake as a possibility when media members ask about Coker starting.

I'm not sure he'll start, but some folks seem to immediately dismiss Blake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Of course CNS is going to mention BS. Gotta keep the fire lit under our future QB JC.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.