Link: Blake Sims' Private QB Coach Helping Him Build Mental Game, Discipline

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
What lines? I don't think Blake will start either, but no chance? Are you psychic or something? Coker hasn't even played a snap in scrimmage.
The lines where CNS mentions BS as a possibility to start but he really doesn't have a chance to. Its called keeping Jacob Coker motivated through coach speak. Don't take everything so literal...

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Sims needs to continue doing everything he can to improve. He has a better chance of playing this season than many are giving him. Based on skillset and the fact that Bama recruited Coker hard to transfer here says a lot. However, Coker's already missed time due to injury and hasn't taken a meaningful snap in a game yet. I will not be surprised if Coach Saban plays this out like he did with McCarron and P Sims a few seasons ago - where both got minutes in the first game or two, it became obvious that AJ should be starting and they moved on from there. The variable here is injury. No one knows how durable Coker is; and if he gets hurt Sims and/or Bateman need to be ready to go.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Would someone explain to me why QB's need a private tutor? Do we not have coaches who can teach them all they need to improve and produce? Nussmaier and Kiffin have to know more than a QB "coach" we never heard of until now.
It is a growing trend. Salespeople now hire personal coaches to focus on the minute details that a coach doesn't have time for or doesn't promote. Kiffin doesn't get much 1 on 1 time with each QB. He is in charge of running the whole offense. Did you know that Nick Saban has a personal performance coach? It is because he wants to constantly improve and be held accountable to doing the things he needs to be doing. Same with Sims.

I hope Sims continues to improve because even if Coker does win the job in August, the likelihood of him getting hurt is better than most because of his injury last year. We'll need a QB who is preparing to be the starter should our first string go down. I think Sims will do a fine job once he gets in and doesn't feel like he has to impress the coaches or the fans. i remember a backup QB Jeff Hostetler winning the Super Bowl after Sims was injured.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I believe the QB job starts with Blake at QB against WVU and Coker getting some reps during the first few games. By the time Alabama heads to Oxford on October 4, I figure Coker will be the starter with Blake getting reps throughout the remaining games.

This will probably not be a popular post. However, deep down most of us know that if Blake is the starter, we are in serious trouble.
Really? Talent alone doesn't win games. Alabama has proven that. However, I see two games on the schedule that would cause me some worry if Blake is QB. Blake isn't the reason for the worry, either. I worry about LSU because they continue to play Alabama hard. I worry about Auburn because Malzahn is a good coach.

I hope Sims can make for a good competition this fall but two spring games in a row he just looked completely lost on the field. I don't understand why his stats were so good in the closed scrimmages and so abysmal in front of the crowd.
Saban continues to say they didn't run plays that suit Blake's skillset. Folks who were at practice and/or the scrimmages agree with that by talking about Alabama running the diamond formation, which Bama ran zero times during A-Day.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I love Blake's attitude. He isn't going to read any message boards and say he doesn't have a chance. He is giving this all he's got and will not go down without a fight. We will be better off because of this attitude.

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia
Would someone explain to me why QB's need a private tutor? Do we not have coaches who can teach them all they need to improve and produce? Nussmaier and Kiffin have to know more than a QB "coach" we never heard of until now.
Padre, I would think it has much to do with the the rules that prohibit coach-player contact during the summer months. Blake is taking advantage of an opportunity to better himself while staying within the NCAA requirements.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
If I was a QB and my name was even mentioned in a conversation about being the starter, I'd do most anything, except pull a Tanya Harding, to further my chances to start.
I would use a trainer if I thought it would land me the job.
I seem to remember AJ as a regular at the Manning Camps...
I'd be first to practice, and the last to leave.
I'd study all the film I could.
I'd be like a growth on Kiffen's side asking him questions.

If I didn't win the job...
I'd be on the sidelines still stuck to Kiffen.
I'd be ready on a moments notice to enter the game.
I'd play every play I'm allowed on the field, like it would be my last touch (Ever).

BamaBuff24

1st Team
May 2, 2000
FWB, FL USA
If that is the case then why AJ went to the Manning Football Camp for three years? Golfers have private instructors and their school's golf coach. You do whatever you need to do to better yourself no matter what field your in. RTR!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.