Alabama's 6th Congressional District - Your Thoughts on the Candidates

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Love Gary Palmer, but he won't win.

DeMarco would be a reliable guy.

Beason is a buffoon but he means well on middle-class concerns.

Chad Mathis is a vile jackass, and I resent the Club for Growth for funding him.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
DeMarco/Brooke - 2 sides of the same coin
Beason/Mathis - 2 sides of a different coin

Never heard of the others other than seeing a few yard signs for Gary Palmer.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
DeMarco/Brooke - 2 sides of the same coin
Beason/Mathis - 2 sides of a different coin

Never heard of the others other than seeing a few yard signs for Gary Palmer.
At least there are two sides of the coin. I've heard a lot of positive info recently regarding Brooke, but I'm just wondering why on earth a good doctor like Brooke would want to become a politician. As we all know, "new blood" rarely has any effect changing the system. To the contrary, they are often changed by, and become part of, the system.
But in the pursuit of term limits, I'm willing to give him a chance.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
At least there are two sides of the coin. I've heard a lot of positive info recently regarding Brooke, but I'm just wondering why on earth a good doctor like Brooke would want to become a politician. As we all know, "new blood" rarely has any effect changing the system. To the contrary, they are often changed by, and become part of, the system.
But in the pursuit of term limits, I'm willing to give him a chance.
Chad Mathis is the doctor. Will Brooke is an executive with Harbert Management.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
And these two are getting ugly with one another. :)
With so many candidates, there almost has to be a runoff. I think they've conceded the #1 spot to DeMarco, and are fighting for second place. They each clearly view the other as a threat, and are going personal and negative as a result.

I think all of them would vote pretty much the same in Congress. Brooke, however, comes from a wealthy family and made a lot more on his own. So I think he's far less corruptable than the others.

Plus, he's the only one that has offered substantive ideas. The others tout humble beginnings (as if being born poor is a qualification), being conservative (as if the others aren't), and being proud of being a Christian (cue the church and/or prayer group photo). And they all promise to "fight" all sorts of things (apparently, the verb "fight" gets high marks in focus groups, because this is one fightin' group of candidates). The one thing they agree on is that they'll all "fight" (there's that word again) any and all things Obama.

I think he'd be the best Congressman of them all, but fully understand that the wealth factor might keep him from being electable. Still, I'm going to vote for him.

Last edited:

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
My issue with Mathis is that this clown comes out of nowhere and hurls all sorts of epithets at his opponents, almost none of which are true.

Scott Beason may be a loudmouth, but you can't knock his voting record. DeMarco's, too.

Gary Palmer runs a freakin' conservative think-tank!

Mathis is a clown, and I'd be happy to debate him on that point, believe you me.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
My issue with Mathis is that this clown comes out of nowhere and hurls all sorts of epithets at his opponents, almost none of which are true.

Scott Beason may be a loudmouth, but you can't knock his voting record. DeMarco's, too.

Gary Palmer runs a freakin' conservative think-tank!

Mathis is a clown, and I'd be happy to debate him on that point, believe you me.
All of the contenders commercials are embarrassing but there's just something about Mathis I don't like. I get the feeling he'd do or say something outlandish just to get his name out there.

Didn't he try to bring up something about Brooke just now moving into the district when he himself is a recent Yankee transplant?

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
All of the contenders commercials are embarrassing but there's just something about Mathis I don't like. I get the feeling he'd do or say something outlandish just to get his name out there.

Didn't he try to bring up something about Brooke just now moving into the district when he himself is a recent Yankee transplant?
What is your definition of recent?

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Beason, Brooke & Palmer held a joint press conference to denounce Mathis' tactics. Can't say I've ever seen this before.

http://blog.al.com/wire/2014/05/in_rare_move_3_district_6_cand.html
I got the mailer referenced in the article, and it struck me as pretty low and sleazy.

In general, none of the GOP candidates has done much to differentiate himself from any of the others. Based on the radio ads I've heard, it's all

Conservative values
Defender of the Faith
Boo, Obamacare

w/o a shred of detail to suggest what they might actually DO.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I want to know how they are going to overturn Obamacare. Even with a Republican president in 2017, I don't see that happening.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.