Athlon's pre-season top 25

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Re: Athlons pre seaeon top 25

Not trying to be pessimistic, but on what objective grounds is a #2 ranking based? Does CNS as our coach carry that much weight?

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK

Not trying to be pessimistic, but on what objective grounds is a #2 ranking based? Does CNS as our coach carry that much weight?
Alabama’s 2013 season ended on a down note, but as usual, the Crimson Tide is loaded for another run at the national championship. Coach Nick Saban continues to recruit at a high level, and the offense can lean on the one-two punch of T.J. Yeldon and Derrick Henry until quarterback Jacob Coker settles into the starting role. The defense has a few holes to fill at cornerback, but Alabama will rank among the best in the nation once again. Also helping the Crimson Tide’s case to get back to the national championship is a favorable schedule, including a visit by defending SEC West champion Auburn in Tuscaloosa in late November.
http://athlonsports.com/college-foo...iew-and-predictions-no-2-alabama-crimson-tide

At the bottom they list 5 reasons for picking Alabama #2.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Ole Miss rated ahead of LSU huh? I wouldn't bet the ranch on that one.
What also amazes me somewhat is that none of these pre-season prediction magazines say hardly anything about our offensive line needing to be better. They mention "holes in the secondary" and they talk about the QB position, but obviously think we're fine and dandy up front. They must not have watched us very much last year.
sip

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

Ole Miss rated ahead of LSU huh? I wouldn't bet the ranch on that one.
What also amazes me somewhat is that none of these pre-season prediction magazines say hardly anything about our offensive line needing to be better. They mention "holes in the secondary" and they talk about the QB position, but obviously think we're fine and dandy up front. They must not have watched us very much last year.
sip
Alasipi, my thoughts exactly (offensive line and defensive line for that matter) but I've come to take these things with a grain of salt. Most of these guys who do these do not bother going beyond QB, RB, WR and defense (as a whole) as well as the team's reputation/head coach when they write this stuff. It's amusing. And yes, let's be honest, the Sooners should be ahead of us or right there. We definitely have some work to do to get back on top but I know if any team can do it, we can do it.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Our schedule doesn't look hard at the moment but I'm with Sip. Our OL is a major concern to me.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
How can any of you maintain any credibility saying OU should be ahead of us based on last year but Payroll U to our East should not?

I'm of the "who cares" school. Next.

CSA4Ever

Scout Team
Jun 6, 2010
The purpose of these magazines is to sell magazines and over the many years, I have learned that the writers are no smarter than the fans. A high pre-season rating merely means that barring losses, a team MAY have an easier road to top 4 final ranking.

I don't know how this season will play out. There are just too many unseen variables involved. One or two major injuries can change any team's prospects.

My hope is that our teams make it to the final four and possibly play for the big one!

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Well..there's only one thing that can be pretty much guaranteed--Oklahoma will lay two eggs against two teams who have no business beating them. When was the last time that didn't happen?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Reason bama is rated as highly as we are, and will continue to be rated that high, is because every year we pretty much have a 2-3 game schedule. Basically AU and LSU are the only teams that can match us on talent and threaten to beat us. A&M and UF could beat us if they caught us on a bad day. No chance for anyone else. People also remember what happened last time we lost the last two games of the season with one of them being embarrassed in the sugar bowl both times.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Reason bama is rated as highly as we are, and will continue to be rated that high, is because every year we pretty much have a 2-3 game schedule. Basically AU and LSU are the only teams that can match us on talent and threaten to beat us. A&M and UF could beat us if they caught us on a bad day. No chance for anyone else.
I think you're right about LSU talent wise Force. I don't think Auburn can match us yet but they're dang sure making progress.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I think you're right about LSU talent wise Force. I don't think Auburn can match us yet but they're dang sure making progress.
I would probably agree with that regarding AU but because of the rivalry that game will almost always be competitive, until GM leaves at least.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.