Athlon's pre-season top 25

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Preseason polls mean very little, but I would rate both OU and auburn ahead of us at this point.
I could see why but I disagree. OU lost to a terrible Texas team and got blown out by Baylor 42-10. Just like Utah beat us doesn't mean they had a better team. Like you say though preseason polls are just for discussion and message board fodder.

CSA4Ever

Scout Team
Jun 6, 2010
Well..there's only one thing that can be pretty much guaranteed--Oklahoma will lay two eggs against two teams who have no business beating them. When was the last time that didn't happen?
My age-related memory impairment took over. :biggrin2:

Forgot about the egg-laying tendency. You are correct.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Re: Athlons pre seaeon top 25

Speaking of eggs. Egg Bowl is for #2 in the West. LSU and the barn play for 4th.

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
How can any of you maintain any credibility saying OU should be ahead of us based on last year but Payroll U to our East should not?

I'm of the "who cares" school. Next.
To your point, I agree with Graytide--I WOULD put both the barn and the Sooners ahead of us in a preseason poll.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014

Oklahoma would have to be ahead of us.
We were a better team last year and will be again this year. The talent difference is too big to ignore. Beating a disappointed Bama team in a game that meant everything to the OU players (they were trying buck Stoops' infamous nickname as well as wanting to show that the SEC wasn't all it was cracked up to be) doesn't warrant them being ranked above us.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK

Preseason rankings are a projection of where teams will be come September--not a reflection of the previous year. It is perfectly reasonable to say that OU will not be as good as Alabama for the 2014 season.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
My age-related memory impairment took over. :biggrin2:

Forgot about the egg-laying tendency. You are correct.
Please know that I have the utmost respect for the Oklahoma program and their fans.
My post wasn't a demeaning intended insult, just a recent trend I kinda noticed. That, of course, could change at any time.
The Oklahoma teams with Greg Pruitt were the absolute most prolific offenses I've ever seen.
I remember, as a kid, going, "Wow"!
sip

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
OU getting a lot of run off that Sugar Bowl, too much imo. That QB that looked like Brady against us looked like Brandon Avalos in their spring game.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

Preseason rankings are a projection of where teams will be come September--not a reflection of the previous year. It is perfectly reasonable to say that OU will not be as good as Alabama for the 2014 season.

Exactly, same reason why Auburn is ranked behind us. They had a better season than us...but that doesn't reflect on 2014. I agree with FSU being #1 because of what they bring back.

We have the talent to contend, so I don't have a problem with where we are.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Well..right now, in my opinion, every team is rated last, and beginning with the opening kickoff of the season, they all have a chance to rise to the top.
That's what makes the game of college football so great and I hope it never changes.
sip

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I can agree that everyone is putting a lot of stock into OU because of their Sugar Bowl victory over Alabama. Also the simple fact is that Alabama is probably going to start of ranked so high is because of their track record since 2008. Jacob Coker (or whoever is the QB) could have a season like JPW did in 2008 and Bama could still go 12-0 in regular season. They are just so loaded in talent and have such great coaching. Bottom line is that proven QB or not Alabama and CNS are going get the benefit of the doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
Bama and FSU clearly have an edge when it comes to total roster talent. I'm not worried about the O-Line yet. The spring game shows nothing in my opinion. Maybe Bama has the best D-Line in the country. I also don't think the left side of the line is settled yet. Cam won't be the starter in my opinion, and I'm not sold Arie holds his spot either. I would hate to see him lose it, but he has to be better side to side or he's going to struggle again this year. The #2 ranking is warranted on past performance, coaching, and overall talent on the current roster. The preseason rankings are all a crap shoot and mean nothing anymore with the playoff system. I think the rankings are fun, like in college basketball, but I don't care about the number next to the logo anymore.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I can agree that everyone is putting a lot of stock into OU because of their Sugar Bowl victory over Alabama. Also the simple fact is that Alabama is probably going to start of ranked so high is because of their track record since 2008. Jacob Coker (or whoever is the QB) could have a season like JPW did in 2008 and Bama could still go 12-0 in regular season. They are just so loaded in talent and have such great coaching. Bottom line is that proven QB or not Alabama and CNS are going get the benefit of the doubt.

Well, JPW actually had a great senior year in 2008. Sure it was all play action, but I would take that great running game with a senior JPW next year.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Well, JPW actually had a great senior year in 2008. Sure it was all play action, but I would take that great running game with a senior JPW next year.
Well under Saban he was;

2007 255/462 2846 yards 18 TD and 12 INT
2008 187/323 2273 yards 10 TD and 8 INT

It's hard to imagine Coker could do worse than that. Especially with all of the weapons Alabama has for him to throw to.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.