*** OLB Keaton Anderson Commits to Alabama ***

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Re: OLB Keaton Anderson Updates

Consider this another one of the commitments in response to spread offenses. This is a type of prospect that we probably wouldn't have taken several years ago, but who has a defined role now. Certainly helps, too, that he's well liked and generally considered a strong leader among his peers, which could help down the stretch in recruiting other prospects.

Physically, Anderson is relatively comparable in a lot of respects to Sunseri, in that he's a bit undersized but moves pretty well and plays a lot more physical than his build would indicate. He's also a lot like Vinnie in that he's a fine tackler and always finds himself around the football. Having said that, though, a lot of people are overlooking the fact that Anderson is a decent bit bigger. He's a couple of inches taller and around 15-20 pounds heavier than Sunseri was at this juncture, so it's not fair to just assume he'll necessarily be used in the exact same way.

With a 6'1 frame, though, I'm not sure you'll see his playing weight ever get above 220-225 pounds, so I would be highly surprised if he ever saw time at inside linebacker. I think you'll see him used as a hybrid OLB / safety.

Last edited:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

I've read his family is loaded & owns Books A Million..What's the chance he's given a preferred walk on status & his family pays his way..I'm not saying he's bad or anything, but, will need a couple years under Coach Cochran before he get serious PT..
Sort of like Vinnie, TideMan? Depending on what position the coaches want him to play, he could be 225-230 before he gets on campus.

He does come from a fine family -- sort of like the Jones' boys -- so maybe his folks will pick up the tab for a while. Anderson's on Court Street in Florence used to be one of the best little book stores in the South.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

What's the chance he's given a preferred walk on status & his family pays his way.
Zero.

And it might not take anywhere near as long as you think for him to see the field, either. Our depth situation at safety in 2015 and beyond is quite thin, and if he can grasp the scheme mentally early in his career, there is always room on the field when you play spread teams for guys who can move relatively well and who can tackle in space.

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Zero.

And it might not take anywhere near as long as you think for him to see the field, either. Our depth situation at safety in 2015 and beyond is quite thin, and if he can grasp the scheme mentally early in his career, there is always room on the field when you play spread teams for guys who can move relatively well and who can tackle in space.
Yep, with the spread offenses, if he can run he can play earlier than later.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

Just heard about this and glad to see his commitment was already posted. This guy can really play. Kind of reminds me of Darren Mustin when he came out of Brentwood. Plays big, smart, under control and is fast enough.

I can't count how many times they used him on offense handing off to him on a sweep out of the slot.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Keaton talked to al.com about his commitment and what position(s) he might play at Alabama. Link

On the field, Anderson had 191 tackles last year as a weak side linebacker. He said he could play there or in the hybrid "star" position for the Crimson Tide. At 6-foot-1 and 215 pounds, Anderson doesn't want to gain much more weight in order to keep his speed. Mentally, he stays sharp.

"I definitely think a big thing that I take very serious is the mental side of the game," Anderson said. "Where other people may have all the ability in the world, I think I study more film than most people. Of course the ability of the way I actually play (is a strength), but some tips that I may see on film that other teammates won't. That's something I look into very much."

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

Consider this another one of the commitments in response to spread offenses. This is a type of prospect that we probably wouldn't have taken several years ago, but who has a defined role now. Certainly helps, too, that he's well liked and generally considered a strong leader among his peers, which could help down the stretch in recruiting other prospects.

Physically, Anderson is relatively comparable in a lot of respects to Sunseri, in that he's a bit undersized but moves pretty well and plays a lot more physical than his build would indicate. He's also a lot like Vinnie in that he's a fine tackler and always finds himself around the football. Having said that, though, a lot of people are overlooking the fact that Anderson is a decent bit bigger. He's a couple of inches taller and around 15-20 pounds heavier than Sunseri was at this juncture, so it's not fair to just assume he'll necessarily be used in the exact same way.

With a 6'1 frame, though, I'm not sure you'll see his playing weight ever get above 220-225 pounds, so I would be highly surprised if he ever saw time at inside linebacker. I think you'll see him used as a hybrid OLB / safety.
I have no idea how anyone knows who will and who won't, but...I grew 3 inches taller from 18-23, and a guy a year younger than I grew 5 inches in that same time span. Are we certain, as an HS junior, he won't grow any taller?
By the same token, one of my bf's from childhood was 5'10" in the 8th grade - same height he was when he passed away about 15 years ago at the age of 46.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

I have no idea how anyone knows who will and who won't, but...I grew 3 inches taller from 18-23, and a guy a year younger than I grew 5 inches in that same time span. Are we certain, as an HS junior, he won't grow any taller?
By the same token, one of my bf's from childhood was 5'10" in the 8th grade - same height he was when he passed away about 15 years ago at the age of 46.
Anderson is only a couple of months shy of 18, I believe, but in any event, although those types of growth spurts certainly do happen from time-to-time, you really can't expect it as a general matter, and it certainly cannot become the basis of a recruiting strategy.

If you take a commitment from a kid at roughly 18 years old who is 6'1, well, you take him with the understanding that he'll be 6'1. Maybe the genes work out such that he's suddenly 6'4 two years later, but you just can't bank on that. You have to make your decisions on what you see before you in the flesh.

Obviously, if he shoots up another two or three inches, we'll probably have to revamp how we will use him. For now, though, expect to see him play a hybrid spot at somewhere around 220 pounds.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Zero.

I agree!
He is our next Vinnie! :cool:

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

BET hit the nail on the head. Already plays the equivalent of the money position in HS.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014

Keaton talked to al.com about his commitment and what position(s) he might play at Alabama. Link
Boom. Film junkie, he will be a major player on our defense in the future. Smart guys like Anderson tend to be self-motivated, and they tend to see the field sooner rather than later.

IMO he looks like a smarter version of Sunseri with better physical attributes. Color me excited.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Boom. Film junkie, he will be a major player on our defense in the future. Smart guys like Anderson tend to be self-motivated, and they tend to see the field sooner rather than later.

IMO he looks like a smarter version of Sunseri with better physical attributes. Color me excited.
IMO it's pretty hard to get smarter than Vinnie with him growing up the son of a NFL and college coach. I hope Keaton reaches that intelligence level one day and if he continues to work hard I think he will.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014

IMO it's pretty hard to get smarter than Vinnie with him growing up the son of a NFL and college coach. I hope Keaton reaches that intelligence level one day and if he continues to work hard I think he will.
I forgot about Vinnie's dad for second. Vinnie was very smart but I didn't think he was a film junkie (could be wrong). Anderson is the kind of player who will beat you with his mind before the game. I think we're gonna be surprised at how good of a player he is once he gets here.

boatmax

Scout Team
Sep 10, 2004
Guntersvliie, AL

I've read his family is loaded & owns Books A Million..What's the chance he's given a preferred walk on status & his family pays his way..I'm not saying he's bad or anything, but, will need a couple years under Coach Cochran before he get serious PT..
Not to mention that his grandfather owns a 140' yacht that he brings up from Ft. Lauderdale up the Tennessee River to Knoxville.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
After watching this video I found of Keaton..I can see why he will earn a free ride cause he deserves too & will be perfect in the style of D we're building to combat the HUNH offenses..

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Welcome, Keaton. Always happy to see one of our local talent sign with the University. Especially in light of the strong UT connection of the family. RTR.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.