Link: "Alabama desperate for 12th game in 2015, will 'take anybody'"

BamaBuff24

1st Team
May 2, 2000
FWB, FL USA
About Oregon State, want a storyline game. A link between CPB and CNS through CMR. CMR played for CPB and he coaches a game against CNS. It would be a homecoming for him.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Don't really care what other programs do. All I said all along is that we were the ones that canceled the MSU series. Like I said before I'm sure CNS and the decision makers did what was in the best interest of our program which is what they should do. Listen twice as much as you talk and you might learn something. 2 ears 1 mouth for a reason.
That was done because we thought the SEC was going to go to a nine game schedule which Saban favored. The other coaches however had the biggest reservations.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
That was done because we thought the SEC was going to go to a nine game schedule which Saban favored. The other coaches however had the biggest reservations.
Yea but my point all along was that Saban knew there was no where near enough support to go to a 9 game conference schedule. It wasn't like it was going to be a 50/50 outcome. I think Saban is the only coach who really wanted to do it. Again, Saban will say that's why we dropped MSU but that excuse doesn't hold water with me. And then we turn around and say we can't find anyone to play or we want to do a "neutral" site game in Atlanta. Why would MSU want to do that? It would be like a home game for us. If Saban wants to do neutral site we need to find somewhere outside the south to play the game at.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I also think that after the SEC rotational schedule came out and we play AT Georgia in 2015 Saban probably didn't want to play at Michigan State that year also. I believe he did what he felt was in the best interest of the program.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yea but my point all along was that Saban knew there was no where near enough support to go to a 9 game conference schedule. It wasn't like it was going to be a 50/50 outcome. I think Saban is the only coach who really wanted to do it. Again, Saban will say that's why we dropped MSU but that excuse doesn't hold water with me. And then we turn around and say we can't find anyone to play or we want to do a "neutral" site game in Atlanta. Why would MSU want to do that? It would be like a home game for us. If Saban wants to do neutral site we need to find somewhere outside the south to play the game at.
It was not about the 9 game SEC schedule. Read this piece - it was about the change in philosophy from home/home series to neutral site games - dictated by $$$: http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2013/09/source_michigan_state_didnt_wa.html

Saban had never done or said anything that would have me question his desire to play tough competition as often as possible every season. I am not sure how you let this thought creep into your head, but it didn't come from his words or actions. Or does canceling a single series matter more that all of the games that he has scheduled?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
It was not about the 9 game SEC schedule. Read this piece - it was about the change in philosophy from home/home series to neutral site games - dictated by $$$: http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2013/09/source_michigan_state_didnt_wa.html

Saban had never done or said anything that would have me question his desire to play tough competition as often as possible every season. I am not sure how you let this thought creep into your head, but it didn't come from his words or actions. Or does canceling a single series matter more that all of the games that he has scheduled?
You misrepresented my quote. I never said it was canceled because of the potential 9 game SEC schedule. That's what almost everyone else in this thread said was why Saban canceled the series. I said that's a bad excuse because Saban knew we weren't going to a 9 game conference schedule. I also said the same thing that you were referring to that Saban doesn't want to do home and home series anymore. He wants to do "neutral" site games but the problem I brought up is why should MSU want to come to Atlanta for a neutral site game that would pretty much be a home game for us. Not sure if you quoted the wrong post or not. I don't really think $$ had anything to do with it. Bama is one of the top revenue and profit generating athletic departments. I believe he canceled it when he figured out we were playing AT Georgia in 2015 and Saban probably didn't want to play at Michigan State, at Georgia, at Auburn, and at Texas a&m in the same season.

Edit: and also as I have said all along I believe CNS did what he thought was in the best interest of the program which is what he should be doing. I would just rather play Michigan state than an FCS team.

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
John David Phillips. Any of y'all remember him? I remember there was high hopes for him that year but he struggled and yes, the humidity was brutal for that game.

That was a great game. BYU played very well that night.

Oh and Selma, I'm sure all of those teams would just LOVE to play us and show us how its done, but they just can't work out a free weekend. Funny how that works, ya know?
Yep, they all run off screaming... 'You ain't heard the last of this'.

(In reality, the guy who kicked your teeth in, never sez that ;))

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Southern Mississippi already has 4 OOC games scheduled in 2015. One of which is at home against BYU. Which is one of 6 away games that BYU has scheduled. Which means they would not be receptive to playing a seventh in Tuscaloosa.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-15/conf-usa/2015-southern-miss-golden-eagles-football-schedule.php

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-15/indep/2015-byu-cougars-football-schedule.php
I remember back when dinosaurs roamed the plains, and FSU was trying to make their bones,
Bobby Bowden used to boast, 'We'll play anyone, anywhere, and any time'.

Guess those days are gone for most small universities who claim they want to break into big time football. ;)

Last edited:

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
I don't really think $$ had anything to do with it. Bama is one of the top revenue and profit generating athletic departments.
I think $$ had a lot to do with it. Bama's athletic dept. as a whole since CNS has been here has averaged about 13m profit per year...and that's winning 3 NC's and having seven home games every year. We have what 16 or 17 sports and football revenue pays for 95% of them. We need home games. How do you get seven home games? You play schools that will come to T-town and don't require a return trip by us...and that's mostly FCS and smaller FBS schools.Take away the revenue of a home game and add in the expense of a road game and I would bet you'd cut your profit by close to 25%. Could Bama make it with six home games? Sure. That will be tough on AD's and HC's, balancing SOS needs and financial needs.
Then there's the local economy to consider. I read an article a few years ago that estimated a Bama home game pumped about $15m into the local economy. I'd bet the PTB in T-town don't want to lose that if at all possible.

IMO, to have a profitable athletic dept. you need a winning football team, a great supportive fan base, and play seven home games a year...and we have all of 'em.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I think $$ had a lot to do with it. Bama's athletic dept. as a whole since CNS has been here has averaged about 13m profit per year...and that's winning 3 NC's and having seven home games every year. We have what 16 or 17 sports and football revenue pays for 95% of them. We need home games. How do you get seven home games? You play schools that will come to T-town and don't require a return trip by us...and that's mostly FCS and smaller FBS schools.Take away the revenue of a home game and add in the expense of a road game and I would bet you'd cut your profit by close to 25%. Could Bama make it with six home games? Sure. That will be tough on AD's and HC's, balancing SOS needs and financial needs.
Then there's the local economy to consider. I read an article a few years ago that estimated a Bama home game pumped about $15m into the local economy. I'd bet the PTB in T-town don't want to lose that if at all possible.

IMO, to have a profitable athletic dept. you need a winning football team, a great supportive fan base, and play seven home games a year...and we have all of 'em.
I don't buy your thesis. A lot of programs do home and home series that are in much worse financial shape than we are in. We also pay out large sums, a lot of times in the millions, for an FCS team or a team like southern Mississippi to come to Tuscaloosa. I'm sorry I just don't think money played a big role in the decision.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't buy your thesis. A lot of programs do home and home series that are in much worse financial shape than we are in. We also pay out large sums, a lot of times in the millions, for an FCS team or a team like southern Mississippi to come to Tuscaloosa. I'm sorry I just don't think money played a big role in the decision.
Saban said that it did. I accept it. Not sure why you don't.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Saban said that it did. I accept it. Not sure why you don't.
No need to get upset because I have a different opinion. Just off season message board talk about something that doesn't even really matter. I stand by my previous posts. Is something wrong with that or do I have to agree with you?

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
Perhaps doing a lot of home and home series is one reason most programs are in worse financial shape. I haven't done any research but I'd bet there is a direct correlation between athletic departments that are in the black and playing at least seven home games.

Could we do it? Sure...but just because we can doesn't mean we should.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.