Diamond Notes : Alabama Opens 2014 NCAA Tournament against Kennesaw State on Friday

Diamond Tide

Baseball Moderator
Staff member
Jun 23, 2000
Tuscaloosa , AL USA
diamondtide.tidefans.com
Crimson Tide enter 24th NCAA tournament at the two seed in the Tallahassee Regional

May 29, 2014

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -
The Alabama Crimson Tide (34-22) will travel to Tallahassee, Florida, for the opening round of the 2014 NCAA Baseball Championship. Alabama opens the Tallahassee Regional on Friday, May 30, against the Kennesaw State Owls (37-21), with first pitch scheduled for 11 a.m. CDT, at Mike Martin Field at Dick Howser Stadium.

Alabama enters the Tallahassee Regional as the No. 2 seed after earning an at-large bid into the tournament. Kennesaw State is the No. 3 seed in the regional, earning an automatic bid into the tournament after winning the Atlantic Sun Tournament. The game between Alabama and Kennesaw State will be available on ESPN3.com, with Joe Davis and Greg Swindell calling the action.

Florida State (43-15), the No. 1 seed in the Tallahassee Regional and the No. 5 national seed will take on the No. 4 seeded Georgia Southern Eagles (39-21) at 5 p.m. CT on Friday night. Florida State was an at-large entry into the NCAA Baseball Championship. Georgia Southern won the Southern Conference Tournament by defeating Samford, 4-3, in the championship game on Sunday.

No. 2 Seed Alabama (34-22) vs. No. 3 Seed Kennesaw St. (37-21)
Mike Martin Field at Dick Howser Stadium - Tallahassee, FL

Schedule - Friday, May 30 at 11 a.m. CT
Television - None
Streaming - ESPN3.com/WatchESPN
Radio - Tide 99.1 FM and CTSN
Livestats - RollTide.com

Probable Pitching Matchup

Friday: UA-Spencer Turnbull (Jr., RHP, 5-6, 2.28 ERA) vs. KSU-TBA

The Tide will start junior right-handed pitcher Spencer Turnbull on Friday against Kennesaw State. Turnbull has a 5-6 record with a 2.28 ERA. In 14 starts this season, Turnbull has thrown a team-high 87 innings, with 59 strikeouts while holding opponents to a .193 batting average. Kennesaw State has not made a decision on a pitcher for Friday's game, but it's likely that the Owls will start either sophomore RHP Jordan Hillyer or sophomore LHP Travis Bergen.

Alabama in the NCAA Tournament

Alabama is making its 24th NCAA tournament appearance, posting a 67-47 (.587) in 114 career NCAA tournament games. UA has been to the NCAA tournament in six of the last seven seasons. Alabama missed the 2012 NCAA tournament, snapping a four-year run. Mitch Gaspard's led the Tide to the NCAA tournament in four of his five seasons as the head coach at Alabama. This is Gaspard's sixth NCAA tournament as a head coach (Northwestern State, 2005).

UA is making their fifth trip to Tallahassee for an NCAA Regional. Alabama played in Tallahassee in 1983, 1991, 2011 and 2013. The Tide is 9-6 in NCAA Regional games in Tallahassee. UA won the 1983 region and advanced to the championship game in 1991 and 2011.

Follow the Tide Live

All Alabama baseball games throughout the 2014 season will be broadcast by the Crimson Tide Sports Network (CTSN). The radio broadcast for all games of the 2014 season will be available on 99.1 FM in Tuscaloosa and available on the CTSN throughout the state. Chris Stewart and Lee Tracey will provide the call for every game that the Crimson Tide plays in the NCAA tournament. Livestats will be available at for all games of the NCAA Tallahassee Regional at RollTide.com.

About the Crimson Tide

The Crimson Tide is seventh in the SEC with a .278 batting average, while averaging 5.2 runs and 9.5 hits per game. Alabama's had 10 or more hits in 29 games this season, while reaching the 10-hit mark 17 times in the last 29 games. After starting the year 4-5 with a .224 batting average through nine games, Alabama posted a .290 average with a .412 slugging percentage, with 36 of its 40 home runs and 70 of their 79 doubles coming during that stretch. The Tide ranks second in the SEC and 17th in the country with 40 home runs this season.

Alabama is eighth in the SEC with a 3.29 ERA for the season, ranking 56th nationally. UA ranks fifth in the SEC with a .228 opponent's batting average, while ranking 10th in the country, allowing 7.38 hits per nine innings. Alabama posted a 21-11 record at Sewell-Thomas Stadium and 13-11 away from home, including an 11-10 mark in road games and a 2-1 mark at neutral sites.

Scouting the No. 3 Seeded Kennesaw State Owls

Kennesaw State is making its first ever NCAA tournament appearance, after winning the Atlantic Sun Conference Tournament last week with a 7-1 win over Lipscomb. The Owls are 37-21 overall and have won 23 of their last 24 games, dating back to April 6. The only loss for KSU during that stretch was an 8-6 defeat to Western Carolina on May 13. Since the loss, KSU has won seven straight games.

As a team, the Owls are hitting .301 while averaging 6.1 runs and 10.8 hits per game. Leading the offense is junior catcher Max Pentecost, who has a .423 average with nine home runs, 55 RBI, 21 doubles and 57 runs scored. Bo Way is second on the team with a .364 average and Alex Liquori is hitting .363 with 42 RBI.

On the mound, KSU has a 3.50 team ERA, while allowing 4.5 runs and 9.3 hits per game. Jordan Hillyer has a 7-3 record with a 3.36 ERA and a team-high 71 strikeouts in 93.2 innings and 15 starts. Travis Bergen is 7-4 with a 2.74 ERA in 14 appearances as a starter this season. Justin McClavin has been solid out of the bullpen, appearing in a team-high 35 games, posting a 4-3 record with 14 saves and a 2.24 ERA.

Series versus Kennesaw State

Friday's game between Alabama and Kennesaw State will be the first ever meeting between the two schools.

Scouting the No. 1 Seeded Florida State Seminoles

Florida State enters the regional with a 43-15 overall record and is ranked as high as No. 3 in the USA Today Coaches Poll. The Seminoles finished second in the ACC with a 21-9 record, which led the Atlantic Division. FSU has a .278 team batting average, while averaging 6.7 runs and 9.3 hits per game. DJ Stewart leads the team with a .348 average, to go along with seven home runs, 48 RBI and 19 doubles. John Nogowski leads the team with 49 RBI and 47 runs scored, while hitting .311 with five home runs and 12 doubles.

The Seminoles have a 3.02 ERA, while holding opponents to a .236 average, allowing 3.5 runs and 7.9 hits per game. Luke Weaver is 8-3 with a 2.66 ERA in 15 starts, and he leads the team with 101.1 innings pitched and 81 strikeouts. In 14 starts, Mike Compton is 7-2 with a 3.06 ERA. Jameis Winston has made 23 appearances, posting a 1-0 record with seven saves in 23 appearances.

Series versus Florida State

Alabama is 2-7 all-time versus Florida State, after losing twice to the Seminoles in the 2011 Tallahassee Regional. The Tide's first win against FSU was a 4-3 victory on March 23, 1967. UA's other victory over the Seminoles was a 7-5 win in the NCAA South Regional, in Tallahassee, in 1983.

Scouting the No. 4 Seeded Georgia Southern Eagles

Georgia Southern is making its 14th NCAA Regional appearance, after winning the Southern Conference Tournament last week, earning the conference's automatic bid into the NCAA tournament. The Eagles finished the year with a 39-21 record, while posting a 15-12 mark turning SoCon play. GSU is hitting .289 for the season, while averaging 6.7 runs and 10.1 hits per game. Garrett Chapman leads the club with a .346 average, with seven home runs and 30 RBI. Aaron Mizell leads the team with 13 home runs and 52 RBI while hitting .313 for the year. Stryker Brown has a .325 average with 10 home runs, 44 RBI and a team-high 46 runs scored, and Kody Adams is hitting .304 and is second on the team with 44 runs scored.

On the pitching side, GSU has a 3.17 ERA while holding opponents to a .251 average. The Eagles are giving up 4.2 runs and 8.6 hits per game. Jason Rishman leads the team with 45 appearances, posting a 5-1 record with a 1.06 ERA. Matt McCall has appeared in 38 games, posting a 4-2 record with nine saves and a 4.08 ERA. Josh Wirsu is 9-3 with a 2.43 ERA in 15 starts and a team-high 92.2 innings pitched.

Series versus Georgia Southern

In a series that dates back to the 1980 season, the Crimson Tide is 13-6 against the Eagles all-time. In the most recent meeting, Alabama swept a three-game series when the teams met in Tuscaloosa, Feb. 15-17, 2002. Alabama has won six straight games against Georgia Southern.

NCAA Tallahassee Regional Schedule

Friday, May 30
11 a.m. CT Game 1: No. 2 Alabama vs. No. 3 Kennesaw State
5 p.m. CT Game 2: No. 1 Florida State vs. No. 4 Georgia Southern

Saturday May 31
Noon CT Game 3: Loser Game 1 vs. Loser Game 2
4 p.m. CT Game 4: Winner Game 1 vs. Winner Game 2

Sunday, June 1
11 a.m. CT Game 5: Winner Game 3 vs. Loser Game 4
4 p.m. CT Game 6: Winner Game 4 vs. Winner Game 5

Monday, June 2
6 p.m. CT Game 7: Winner Game 6 vs. Loser Game 6 (if necessary)

-UA-

RTR,

Diamond Tide
:biga:

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
For those that want to listen with their iphone/android, 99.1 FM is available on the radioPup app which is free to download. Once you open it, look under "Cities" and "Tuscaloosa" and you will find it. Hopefully, they won't cut the stream during the game.
I am listening now and it is working.

Edit: they turned it off. Boo.

Last edited:

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Down 1-0 in the bottom of the 7th, only 2 hits for us thus far. Looking eerily like last year, regrettably. :frown:

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
And lose 1-0 to Kennesaw St. Cannot even score on Kennesaw St? If anyone can explain to me why Gaspard and Andy Phillips should not be fired at season's end- I am listening. It really is Just pitiful. Repeat of last year- no spark or enthusiasm at all. Gaspard and Phillips simply need to go- they do not deserve to coach in the new stadium in 2 years.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
And lose 1-0 to Kennesaw St. Cannot even score on Kennesaw St? If anyone can explain to me why Gaspard and Andy Phillips should not be fired at season's end- I am listening. It really is Just pitiful. Repeat of last year- no spark or enthusiasm at all. Gaspard and Phillips simply need to go- they do not deserve to coach in the new stadium in 2 years.
IMO same reason CAG got another year... Football is king. No reason we shouldn't be a team that makes regionals 9 out of 10 years, super regionals 6 out of 10 years and the CWS at least 2 or 3 times a decade. Until the PTB care about baseball, Gaspard will stay and we will still treat recruits like dirt! (yes, I have 1st hand knowledge of how Gaspard and his staff lied to and treated a recruit like dirt. The kid went elsewhere (Big 12 school and was all conference as a freshman.)

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Ugh, it's results like today that suck all the fun out of the postseason - before it even gets going good.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I dont think we have to worry about this. His buyout is a pittance if he has any remaining which I seriously doubt. You dont spend $35M on essentially a new ballpark and not care about the product on the field. There will be changes if not this year definitely next year.

I think Coach Battle came in with the mind set that he has never been an AD before and needed a year to get his feet wet. So too, he probably decided that since he wasnt here before that he probably wanted to come in and give every coach a clean slate to prove themselves. In all likelihood last year was a pass except for women's basketball where it was patently obvious that something had to be done and facilities were already up to par. Last year was a freebie for CMG. Given the pedigree of the staff with their connection and fondness as players and former coaches at UA they are being given every opportunity to be successful because it never looks good when you have to fire one of your own (aka, Shula). However, He is no doubt being evaluated this year.

If he returns, it is simply because CBB is giving him credit (no extension) for the improvement in the front 2/3 of the season. I cant deny that I saw some real improvement in the team this year. However, the late season meltdown has been very troubling.

My expectation is that he returns next year coaching for his job yet again however the stakes will be higher and the circumstances will be much more difficult. If I am CBB, he will need to produce at minimum a super regional appearance. But CMG will have to do most likely playing at the Hoover Met where the park is bigger more pitcher friendly and negotiating the repetitive travel logistics. A difficult task - no doubt.

The only other option would be go ahead and make the change and allow the new coach to essentially navigate the same issues. I am not sure that is fair to him. I am not sure what we have coming back but if next year is considered a lean year then its probably best to go ahead and make the change. If we expect to improve and mature, then I would probably let CMG take a shot at it because given the logistics I think it will be difficult.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
Very depressing for those of us who love Bama baseball. This was the first year I didn't attend a game since college. And despite the regional being just 90 miles away the last two years, I've opted not to go. I just had no hope we would win.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I will never go back as long as this fool is our coach. New stadium (cough cough refurbished cough cough) or not. If this is not evidence enough nothing will change your mind.

Shutout out by Kennesaw State? Awful. I truly feel for poor ol Turnbull. With some decent bats he gets 10 wins somewhere else.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I didn't think we had a legitimate chance of winning the regional, but I thought we'd lose twice to FSU. Really surprised by today's lackluster performance. If this is how Gaspard gets his team to respond once they've "rested", I'd hate to see how bad it would have been had we played a few games in the conference tourney.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I didn't think we had a legitimate chance of winning the regional, but I thought we'd lose twice to FSU. Really surprised by today's lackluster performance. If this is how Gaspard gets his team to respond once they've "rested", I'd hate to see how bad it would have been had we played a few games in the conference tourney.
Yep to lay down in the SEC Tourney to "get ready" for the regional only to lay an egg should tell one where this crazy train is going.....

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Yep to lay down in the SEC Tourney to "get ready" for the regional only to lay an egg should tell one where this crazy train is going.....
Hope so - Gasp Air (for all the obvious baseball claptrap he 'emits') Gasp Air gotta go and not a sacrificed season too soon.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Kennesaw State is no slouch. They have won something like 23 of 24 games. Also, a lot of these teams like that have one very good pitcher so you see a lot of upsets in the first round of regionals.

I'm not trying to make excuses, just saying the loss wasn't totally unexpected.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Kennesaw State is no slouch. They have won something like 23 of 24 games. Also, a lot of these teams like that have one very good pitcher so you see a lot of upsets in the first round of regionals.

I'm not trying to make excuses, just saying the loss wasn't totally unexpected.
The KSU roster does not list where the players are from, but I suspect most of them are local and have played in the East Cobb program. It is one of, if not, the best travel baseball programs in the country.

http://www.eastcobbbaseball.com/

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If by some chance we beat Florida State, do we play the loser of the Kennesaw-GSU game tonight and then have to win a doubleheader against the winner tomorrow?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.