News Article: Lane Kiffin calls Alabama's offense 'half-and-half system' led by tailbacks

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2014/05/lane_kiffin_calls_alabamas_off.html

Key notes:
- Offense the Crimson Tide ran this spring was "really kind of a half-and-half system," keeping many elements of Alabama's 2013 offense while changing others.
-Envisions expanded roles for T.J. Yeldon and Kenyan Drake and plenty of carries for Derrick Henry."
-Former Vigor star Jalston Fowler is up to 260 pounds and will play fullback full-time
-Center Ryan Kelly has emerged as a leader on the offensive line
- Cameron Robinson was "really impressive" working with the first group at left tackle
- Amari Cooper had "a great spring,"
- DeAndrew White is back at full speed.

-On the quarterbacks, Kiffin said both Blake Sims and Cooper Bateman did well in the spring, although noting that Sims "did not perform real well in the spring game."

Interesting statements he made tonight. "half and half offense" I"m somewhat surprised by that, but then again, could it be that he kept the same offense from 2013, but made some changes? Possibly.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
JNM, half run/half pass is how I interpreted it. I think he was brought in to make some changes. USC's offense, as far back as McKay, made far more hay with a fullback and throwing the ball to the backs in space. I expect at least that many new wrinkles, without getting away from pounding the ball.

Big year for Ryan Kelly. Coaches said all the right things about him last year. Up to him to prove them right.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Normally coordinators don't share this much information. Wonder is Saban loosened the leash a bit for Kiffin. Love his comments about the offense. Should be very explosive.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I don't think the "half and half" comment is about passing and running. We can expect that to continue as in past years.

IMO, he's talking about how he's going to be incorportating some new elements with what we had last year.

Therefore, we should expect some different looks and he hinted at that by talking about Jalston Fowler being a full time full back. I love watching a fullback lead a great tailback into the hole!!! Man, I can't wait!!!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I don't think CNS hired Kiffin to be a 'yes man' - his track record as OC is impressive and I'd be shocked if CNS didn't utilize the talent he brings.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Good news about Ryan Kelly and Cam Robinson. We need those guys to have big years. On another note, I'm gonna be dreaming about Fowler lead-blocking for Henry. Imagine having to avoid one then tackle the other. The term business decision comes to mind.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Maybe Kiffin means he's worked out an agreement with Saban that allows Kiffin to comment to the press about half the time. The other half, he won't be talking.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Good news about Ryan Kelly and Cam Robinson. We need those guys to have big years. On another note, I'm gonna be dreaming about Fowler lead-blocking for Henry. Imagine having to avoid one then tackle the other. The term business decision comes to mind.
Particularly glad re: the Robinson comment. I believe that the general concensus is that the right side of the OL is in pretty good shape. It`s the left side that needs shoring up. Anybody agree/disagree?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Particularly glad re: the Robinson comment. I believe that the general concensus is that the right side of the OL is in pretty good shape. It`s the left side that needs shoring up. Anybody agree/disagree?
I went to a scrimmage and the A-Day game. While I heard the right side of the OL was fine, I actually saw nothing to indicate improvement over 2013's performance.

Granted, a stellar DL had something to do with that. But count me skeptical until they prove it on the field against SEC competition.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I went to a scrimmage and the A-Day game. While I heard the right side of the OL was fine, I actually saw nothing to indicate improvement over 2013's performance.

Granted, a stellar DL had something to do with that. But count me skeptical until they prove it on the field against SEC competition.
Who's starting on the right side? Shepherd and Brown? I think both are fine players but I wouldn't say they are great. Maybe they have improved a lot over last year.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
Kiffin has never been the "great communicator" when dealing with the press. Half and half probably just means balanced in Lester speak.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Who's starting on the right side? Shepherd and Brown? I think both are fine players but I wouldn't say they are great. Maybe they have improved a lot over last year.
There were several running with the first team. Grant Hill struck me as both the most consistent (though he had his busts, too), and flexible, playing G, T, and even a little C.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I was like you also entering spring but Saban was quite high on Brown during and after spring. While I don't think Shepard is all-star material as most of our OT's have been in the last several years but he is a good solid player. He is going to have to fend off a couple of challenges this camp and fall but if that happens he will be a good back-up.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.