SEC ponders 'Division IV'

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
Always funny what items a news source highlights.

We hope everyone realizes we are moving into a new era and (Division IV) is the way to retain your collegiate model. It would be a disappointment and in my view a mistake not to adapt the model. This is a historic moment. If we don't seize the moment, we'll make a mistake.
The bold is added in by ESPN and not part of the quote. Now read it this way:

The SEC, for example, would like to pay full cost of college attendance, provide long-term medical coverage and offer incentives to kids who return to school and complete degrees.

Slive, however, said a potential move wouldn't disrupt championship formats, including the NCAA men's basketball tournament.
"I've been so optimistic that we're going to stay in Division I that we haven't sat down and tried to map it out," Slive said.

We hope everyone realizes we are moving into a new era and this is the way to retain your collegiate model. It would be a disappointment, and in my view a mistake, not to adapt the model. This is a historic moment. If we don't seize the moment, we'll make a mistake.
That one little add in taken out of the context of the entire message projects a very different stance, IMHO.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
So is the proposed Division IV just going to be a new subdivision within Division I? So we'd then have the FCS, the FBS and the BCS (for lack of a better term), all competing for separate football championships but all other sports still remaining under the same DI umbrella?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I read this article. I believe the SEC has thrown down the gauntlet. The NCAA can deal with this or the Power 5 may well secede and set up another organization.
I am glad the Conference made this about applying more resources for the athletes (e.g. injury insurance, etc.). The financially marginal conferences will not be able to pay for this, but why should this prevent the financially able conferences from doing so?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
It was, is and will always be disparity between the haves and have nots. This no different. IMO the NCAA will not go along with this and we will see the power 5 conferences secede and form it's own organization.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
It was, is and will always be disparity between the haves and have nots. This no different. IMO the NCAA will not go along with this and we will see the power 5 conferences secede and form it's own organization.
One can only hope.....

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
I'm trying to imagine how hard it will be for the NCAA to put the screws to a major college program going forward with all the unrest in the ranks. Especially when so many of the violations would resemble the same benefits the universities are insisting on.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
I think it was a matter of time and things are starting to take shape quickly. When all the conference realignments occurred the last couple of years I thought it would come down to four 16-team conferences setting the stage for an 8 team playoff. If it winds up being 5 conferences that still will happen within 2 or 3 years IMO. I also think the number of scholarships will go to 100 per team. I strongly agree with TUSKtimes comment about the NCAA enforcement power, or lack of, as well. How this all relates or applies to other college sports I have no idea.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I'm trying to imagine how hard it will be for the NCAA to put the screws to a major college program going forward with all the unrest in the ranks. Especially when so many of the violations would resemble the same benefits the universities are insisting on.
You would need to hire a commissioner type position with disciplinary powers paid for by the big 60 schools

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
I commented above that I thought long ago this would wind up being four 16-team conferences leading to a 8-team playoff, but it appears to be heading to being 5 conferences (The current big 5). The more I think about it, the more I'm not so sure this will wind up being your conventional make-up of conferences. For starters let's say the Big 5 decide to secede and move to the new Division IV (or whatever it's called). Just picking a couple of quick examples - I wonder just how much the Wake Forest's or Kentucky's, etc, etc will want to be a part of that? As many of us believe, the split is going to happen...but I am starting to think it will be a complete remake of the structure of the college football conferences. Curious as to what y'all think?

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
If the HAVES don't form Division IV or secede, they may become one of the HAVE-NOTS!

rjtide

1st Team
Dec 15, 1999
AL
Why? You want College Football to be replaced by an NFL JR model?
we're kinda already there. hate to break it to ya......guys like ha-ha and trent richardson and cyrus k and landon collins and amari cooper and etc did NOT come to Bama for the purpose of majoring in civil engineering or pre med or pre law. they came here to pay for CNS......who is widely viewed as the best coach in college football. and, more importantly, viewed as one of the best, if not the best, at helping guys get drafted by the NFL.

kwftide

1st Team
Oct 20, 1999
Mebane, NC
we're kinda already there. hate to break it to ya......guys like ha-ha and trent richardson and cyrus k and landon collins and amari cooper and etc did NOT come to Bama for the purpose of majoring in civil engineering or pre med or pre law. they came here to pay for CNS......who is widely viewed as the best coach in college football. and, more importantly, viewed as one of the best, if not the best, at helping guys get drafted by the NFL.
"they came here to pay for CNS"

Not sure if that was a spelling error or a Freudian slip. Either way, it works.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Why? You want College Football to be replaced by an NFL JR model?
The "have-nots" will never "catch up" with the haves, in any way, shape or form; this was admitted to by USA's new Prez, and it goes for all of the other "have-nots". They can never match the tradition or the money the "haves" currently possess; so, the "Robin Hoods" can try and take money from the "haves", but they can never equal their traditions. Ever. (This is mainly football I am speaking of, because it is the rear end of that gorgeous gal we call college athletics - it's the "money-maker".) So they will continually want to hobble the "haves" to give themselves a better shot at more of the "pie".
Sound familiar?

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
No idea if this whole idea ever grows legs, but on the chance it does, I hope one of the things we do soon after it happens is restore our won/loss record to reflect the actual results on the field and remove all that NCAA mandated 'vacating' and 'forfeiting' of games. How signing a napkin or getting an extra textbook helped us beat Tennessee, or anyone else, is a reach only the boys in Indy could make - while maintaining a straight face.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.