Sam Cooper (yahoo blogger) takes issue with Lane K.

bobmack12champs

1st Team
Mar 1, 2001
Florence, Al. USA
his issue with Lane is for the statement he made about TJ,Drake and Henry probably having more talent than any three backs on a team in the nfl."Really" says cooper, He says "if he had compared them to ncaa teams it wouldn't have raised eyebrows, but to compare them with the nfl where the backs have come from all over the country" blah, blah blah.This isn't verbatim but you get the picture. You can get this on yahoo sports.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
In all fairness to LK his statement IMO is a little ridiculous. Maybe with MI TR and EL that *might* have been true but TJ is really the only proven commodity. I think DH and Drake will both play and be good in the NFL but right now we just don't know. I mean everyone thought TR was going to be a great RB to the point he went #3 overall and so far it just hasn't worked out. 49ers and Seahawks would get my vote as having the best running backs. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000216936/article/ranking-the-nfls-deepest-backfields

Last edited:

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
I would rather he had not said it but it is just his opinion. Opinions vary. It remains to be seen how good they will be in coordination. Statements like Kiffin's add fuel to bulletin boards in opposing locker rooms and make it harder for the back on game day. If they are as good as he thinks it won't matter. How exciting will it be if he is right. I believe he is, at least partly.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I figured when I first read his statement about our three running backs that somebody would complain about it. I figured it would be SEC rivals.

I think CLK was probably using a little hyperbole in his statement, but it also shows he thinks he's got some awesome talent to work with at UA and that he's really excited about it!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
If all this guy has to do is get riled up over an assistant coach trying to lavish biased praise on his own players. Then he needs more to do. Who cares?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with Buzz who cares what a blogger says. Why would anyone take seriously what someone's opinion is who has probably never even been on a football field.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Did Eli Gold play football?

I never played organized football, so I guess I should just cancel my membership here at TideFans.
Yea most of the time those who have played a sport are the worst at evaluating talent. Look at Michael Jordan, Isaiah Thomas, etc etc.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
Similar article out of USAToday stated that none could start in the NFL, making Lane's statement absurd to him. Only because it's not legal to draft them. Based on talent, why not say it? How does anyone know? Anyone seen lately what's starting in the NFL? Given most teams commitment to the running game, which team has or would need 3 running-backs the caliber of Alabama? Richardson, Lacy and Ingram are two first round picks and a early second. Any NFL team have 3 backs that were taken in the draft or happen to now be on the roster that was taken that early? No reason these three can't do the same. What Lane said is just not that outlandish in substance. And just in case Lane wants to discuss LBs in the future, Ditto.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I would say, if you are describing raw talent and include the dreaded "p" word, then I agree with him. Not sure any team in the NFL would have 3 backs on its roster that, if their "p" is even 90% realized, could equal these 3. Salaries are a major concern.
I wish he hadn't have said it, because I loathe bragging (or "smack" in any form or fashion - it's low class, IMO) even though I have taken the bait a time or two and done the deed, just not normal for me. Actions, not words. It might not cause any harm (vis a vis bulletin board material), but it has no possible benefit. JMO

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Your petulant suggestion that the opinion of one who never suited up is somehow invalid.
This is a pet peeve of mine. That somebody who never played the game should shut up or that their opinion is invalid. Using that logic, nobody but authors should talk about books, nobody but actors or directors should discuss movies or TV shows, nobody but politicians should discuss politics, etc.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Every time one of the national media or a big blog like Yahoo gives us, "Negative publicity" for praising our players, it just opens 200 or 300 more doors to the homes of prize recruits we may not have had an opportunity to visit otherwise.
Go ahead and talk about us Yahoo, we'll take all the publicity and promotion we can get!
sip

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Did Eli Gold play football?

I never played organized football, so I guess I should just cancel my membership here at TideFans.
Does Eli Goal criticize those with careers in football in a professional context? No. He presents himself as a well-informed spectator. People on this board criticize coaches and players but it's just for the sake of conversation and we don't get paid to have relevant opinions.

Whatever the case, what CLK said is a trifle and for a professional writer to concern himself with a coach over praising his players is just silly.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I would say, if you are describing raw talent and include the dreaded "p" word, then I agree with him. Not sure any team in the NFL would have 3 backs on its roster that, if their "p" is even 90% realized, could equal these 3. Salaries are a major concern.
I wish he hadn't have said it, because I loathe bragging (or "smack" in any form or fashion - it's low class, IMO) even though I have taken the bait a time or two and done the deed, just not normal for me. Actions, not words. It might not cause any harm (vis a vis bulletin board material), but it has no possible benefit. JMO
I don't think that is the point gray tide was making, you read it different than I did.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.