Bergdahl released, but eventually charged...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Give credit where credit is due, the Obama Administration secured the release of SGT Bowe Bergdahl, who apparently had wandered off from his FOB in 2009.

Of course, the US had to "negotiate with terrorists" but it is good to not have a US soldier in Taliban hands.

Bet he'll have some stories to tell.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Re: Bergdahl released

The debrief should be interesting. In a couple of ways.
If it is true that he just wandered away from his FOB, then he could be the poster child for complying with force protection guidance. "Don't be a [silly person] like me. Don't leave your COP/FOB without your buddies."

I wonder how many times in the last five years he contemplated his decision to leave his FOB.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001

Good that he'll be home, soon.

I hope this turns out to have been a wise decision.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

The man is safe, I don't care how or why at this point.

Ideologies are fine, but the world's not black and white - lotsa grey...

Kudos to the Obama administration for getting this done!

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Five years?
Almost.
Nick Rowe spent five years as a guest of the VC.
Four of that was alongside SSG Dan Pitzer. When SSG Pitzer was eventually released through the "good offices" of Tom Hayden, the Army tried to recoup four years of parachute pay SSG Pitzer had been receiving while a POW. SSG Pitzer scoured the finance regs and found an excuse for the Army not to recoup the jump pay: lack of availability of aircraft. The VC had not made aircraft available to Pitzer from which to jump in order to maintain parachute proficiency. Not his fault, so the Army let him keep the jump pay. A true story related to me by SGM Dan Pitzer himself.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama

Happy for the young man and his family, but I think this will prove to be a bad decision.

O'Bummer is obviously using this as a means of trying to shine up a very tarnished image and I am afraid his blatant stab at damage control for his fading tenure will eventually cost many American lives. Those 5 guys are still terrorists and they aren't leaving Gitmo with any warm and fuzzy thoughts about the USA.

Now the rest of the world knows that we will negotiate with terrorists and that O'Bummer is even weaker than previously thought.

BTW, anybody notice how quickly O'Bummer used his parents for a photo op?

pluckngrit

Suspended
Nov 2, 2003

And here's the REAL story you won't see on "mainstream" media.

"Let it be known that this man is a traitor! he walked off an OP in the middle of the night and and went to the local village and told them he wanted to join the taliban. He then spent the next months showing the taliban how US army units operated and how to attack them. We spent months looking for him. Aug 26th my best friend was killed on an operation to recover him. He had a wife and two kids. He is just one of many who gave their lives to recover him. I can still hear his wife and kids crying at his memorial. Today the headlines are portraying him as a hero and the peice of .... president himself called his parents and told them he was coming home. * Bergdahl, I hope that worthless piece of * dies a slow painful death face down in a ditch!!!! Words cannot express the anger I feel seeing these headlines."

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

And here's the REAL story you won't see on "mainstream" media.

"Let it be known that this man is a traitor! he walked off an OP in the middle of the night and and went to the local village and told them he wanted to join the taliban. He then spent the next months showing the taliban how US army units operated and how to attack them. We spent months looking for him. Aug 26th my best friend was killed on an operation to recover him. He had a wife and two kids. He is just one of many who gave their lives to recover him. I can still hear his wife and kids crying at his memorial. Today the headlines are portraying him as a hero and the peice of .... president himself called his parents and told them he was coming home. * Bergdahl, I hope that worthless piece of * dies a slow painful death face down in a ditch!!!! Words cannot express the anger I feel seeing these headlines."
I'm not sure how we would know this ("Well, one of the Afghans told us."), and if we did know this, we we didn't just drop a JDAM on his butt. Problem solved.
I know, it was on the internet, so it must be true.
Bonjour.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Posted by Dan Witmer, a soldier that was there, on the "Army Times" blog...it appears Burgdahl should be Courts Martialed

"You want it from the horses mouth?? Here ya go..We were at OP Mest, Paktika Province, Afghanistan. It was a small outpost where B Co 1-501st INF (Airbone) ran operations out of, just an Infantry platoon and ANA counterparts there. The place was an Afghan graveyard. Bergdahl had been acting a little strange, telling people he wanted to "walk the earth" and kept a little journal talking about how he was meant for better things. No one thought anything about it. He was a little “out there”. Next morning he's gone. We search everywhere, and can't find him. He left his weapon, his kit, and other sensitive items. He only took some water, a compass and a knife. We find some afghan kids shortly after who saw an american walking north asking about where the taliban are. We get hits on our voice intercepter that Taliban has him, and we were close. We come to realize that the kid deserted his post, snuck out of camp and sought out Taliban… to join them. We were in a defensive position at OP Mest, where your focus is to keep people out. He knew where the blind spots were to slip out and that's what he did. It was supposed to be a 4-day mission but turned into several months of active searching. Everyone was spun up to find this guy. News outlets all over the country were putting out false information. It was hard to see, especially when we knew the truth about what happened and we lost good men trying to find him. PFC Matthew Michael Martinek, Staff Sgt. Kurt Robert Curtiss, SSG Clayton Bowen, PFC Morris Walker, SSG Michael Murphrey, 2LT Darryn Andrews, were all KIA from our unit who died looking for Bergdahl. Many others from various units were wounded or killed while actively looking for Bergdahl. Fighting Increased. IEDs and enemy ambushes increased. The Taliban knew that we were looking for him in high numbers and our movements were predictable. Because of Bergdahl, more men were out in danger, and more attacks on friendly camps and positions were conducted while we were out looking for him. His actions impacted the region more than anyone wants to admit. There is also no way to know what he told the Taliban: Our movements, locations, tactics, weak points on vehicles and other things for the enemy to exploit are just a few possibilities. The Government knows full well that he deserted. It looks bad and is a good propaganda piece for the Taliban. They refuse to acknowledge it. Hell they even promoted him to Sergeant which makes me sick. I feel for his family who only want their son/brother back. They don’t know the truth, or refuse to acknowledge it as well. What he did affected his family and his whole town back home, who don’t know the truth. Either way what matters is that good men died because of him. He has been lying on all those Taliban videos about everything since his “capture”. If he ever returns, he should be tried under the UCMJ for being a deserter and judged for what he did. Bergdahl is not a hero, he is not a soldier or an Infantryman. He failed his brothers. Now, sons and daughters are growing up without their fathers who died for him and he will have to face that truth someday."

http://mobile.armytimes.com/article/20140531/NEWS/305310046

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Posted by Dan Witmer, a soldier that was there, on the "Army Times" blog...it appears Burgdahl should be Courts Martialed

"You want it from the horses mouth?? Here ya go..We were at OP Mest, Paktika Province, Afghanistan. It was a small outpost where B Co 1-501st INF (Airbone) ran operations out of, just an Infantry platoon and ANA counterparts there. The place was an Afghan graveyard. Bergdahl had been acting a little strange, telling people he wanted to "walk the earth" and kept a little journal talking about how he was meant for better things. No one thought anything about it. He was a little “out there”. Next morning he's gone. We search everywhere, and can't find him. He left his weapon, his kit, and other sensitive items. He only took some water, a compass and a knife. We find some afghan kids shortly after who saw an american walking north asking about where the taliban are. We get hits on our voice intercepter that Taliban has him, and we were close. We come to realize that the kid deserted his post, snuck out of camp and sought out Taliban… to join them. We were in a defensive position at OP Mest, where your focus is to keep people out. He knew where the blind spots were to slip out and that's what he did. It was supposed to be a 4-day mission but turned into several months of active searching. Everyone was spun up to find this guy. News outlets all over the country were putting out false information. It was hard to see, especially when we knew the truth about what happened and we lost good men trying to find him. PFC Matthew Michael Martinek, Staff Sgt. Kurt Robert Curtiss, SSG Clayton Bowen, PFC Morris Walker, SSG Michael Murphrey, 2LT Darryn Andrews, were all KIA from our unit who died looking for Bergdahl. Many others from various units were wounded or killed while actively looking for Bergdahl. Fighting Increased. IEDs and enemy ambushes increased. The Taliban knew that we were looking for him in high numbers and our movements were predictable. Because of Bergdahl, more men were out in danger, and more attacks on friendly camps and positions were conducted while we were out looking for him. His actions impacted the region more than anyone wants to admit. There is also no way to know what he told the Taliban: Our movements, locations, tactics, weak points on vehicles and other things for the enemy to exploit are just a few possibilities. The Government knows full well that he deserted. It looks bad and is a good propaganda piece for the Taliban. They refuse to acknowledge it. Hell they even promoted him to Sergeant which makes me sick. I feel for his family who only want their son/brother back. They don’t know the truth, or refuse to acknowledge it as well. What he did affected his family and his whole town back home, who don’t know the truth. Either way what matters is that good men died because of him. He has been lying on all those Taliban videos about everything since his “capture”. If he ever returns, he should be tried under the UCMJ for being a deserter and judged for what he did. Bergdahl is not a hero, he is not a soldier or an Infantryman. He failed his brothers. Now, sons and daughters are growing up without their fathers who died for him and he will have to face that truth someday."
I just saw a video in which Bergdahl (in Taliban captivity, so take it for what its worth) said that he was part of a patrol and had been lagging behind, and he was captured.
These two stories are incommensurable, but, fortunately, verifiable.
If the Army Times version is true, the US should welcome home the man and then put the soldier on trial, and, if guilty, execute him. This is what republics do. Lucius Junius Brutus executed his own sons for treason.
Does this Administration have the republican virtue to do the right thing?

Last edited:

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

I just saw a video in which Bergdahl (in Taliban captivity, so take it for what its worth) said that he was part of a patrol and had been lagging behind, and he was captured.
These two stories are incommensurable, but, fortunately, verifiable.
If the Army Times version is true, the US should welcome home the man and then put the soldier on trial, and, if guilty, execute him. This is what republics do. Lucius Junius Brutus executed his own sons for treason.
Does this Administration have the republican virtue to do the right thing?
ive vey always thought execution for desertion was...overkill.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

I'm not sure what to really make of all of this. Seems like we gave up a lot, 5 Gitmo detainees, for someone who disappeared under dubious circumstances. There is a reason that they were still in Gitmo.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

Freed Soldier's Hometown Prepares Welcome Home Party

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/01/bowe-bergdahl_n_5427707.html

HAILEY, Idaho (AP) — The news of U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl's release from captivity Saturday spread quickly in his hometown in southern Idaho, and residents immediately began making plans for a welcome-home celebration.
An annual event called "Bring Bowe Back" scheduled for June 28 was quickly renamed "Bowe is Back."

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md

So let me get this straight. Zero will heroically bring a traitor back home and release 5 Taliban commanders to kill more of our troops. Yet he can't be bothered to stop playing adult twister with Reggie Love all night long enough to give the order to protect Benghazi.

When will this nightmare end?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.