Question: Help requested - Planning a trip to Tuscaloosa for Auburn game

tideche89

Sep 26, 2010
Hi! I have always enjoyed reading tidefans and I am hoping I can get some assistance here planning a trip to Tuscaloosa for the Auburn game. I have not been back to Tuscaloosa after graduating in the late 80's. I will be driving from Houston with my wife who has never been to a college football game before. The plan is to drive over the Friday after Thanksgiving and drive back on Sunday. So here are my questions:

I am considering hotel rooms in Hoover and Meridian for the weekend of Nov 28th. Is one better than the other? Meridian seems to be the better choice because it is on the way to Houston but it is a little further away from Tuscaloosa. Both have decent sounding hotels at reasonable prices.

As expected, the Tuscaloosa hotels are pretty much sold out except for a few places that don't sound all that great. I cannot decide if I should go ahead and pay the premium for a not-so-great Tuscaloosa hotel room or just focus on the activities around the stadium and leave once that is done.

I have never bought college football tickets from Stubhub. I assume it should not be a problem but if anyone has input, I would appreciate it. I have checked the seating chart and noted the various sections. I am planning to buy my ticket s in the next few days.

Anything else I should know given that it is the Auburn game? Any other tips?

I know these questions have come up before and I apologize if some of these have already been answered many times. I figured y'all would cut me some slack because it is the off-season.

Thanks!

Roll Tide!

Tideche89

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
There is a new Embassy Suites ( I think it is Embassy anyway) due to opened is fall here in downtown T-town overlooking the river so check to see if it available. Check with the hotels periodically as there may be a cancellation.

The campus has changed a lot since you were here. Be careful since the traffic patterns are totally different now. Some roads are moved or don't exist anymore. If you can't get a local hotel, park at the downtown parking deck behind city hall on University blvd. Google it. There are buses to carry you to and from the stadium. The downtown area is the place to be good restaurants, lots of night spots. I recommend the burger place Mugshots if you can get in. 5 is a good spot to eat- trendy. Dipalma's has great Italian(try the creme brulee cheesecake.) I hear Tin Top is good, but I haven't eaten there yet. Cypress Inn is still around and is always good, Southern Ale house across the river on McFarland is good. Bob Baumhower's Victory Grill is good and his Wing restaurant is decent for sport bar/restaurant.

I really can't tell you much about the bars as I don't go out much any more. I have been to Wilhagens( old Lee's Tomb) downtown to watch some games.

Stubhub is the place to buy tix. My brother bought seats and they had to replace his as the seller sold him student tickets that he would have to pay the exchange. As you know Auburn ticket's won't be cheap. Good luck and have fun.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Unless there is a compelling reason to drive, I would fly SWA out of Hobby into Bham. Get a rental there and spend Friday and Saturday night in Bham. Did this in '02.

Btw. I'm ChE 79 :)

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I wouldn't stay at a lower rate motel in T-town. Hoover or Meridian would probably work fine. Game day traffic will be easier coming from Meridian.
I've bought tickets on Stub Hub with good results and their site is user friendly.

Good luck and Roll Tide!

Capstone46

1st Team
Jun 5, 2000
Based on the fact you are making your first trip back since the late 80's, I would suggest trying to stay at the Four Points Sheraton on campus or the new Embassy Suites to be completed shortly. The Embassy Suites will be Wilson's flagship property (of Holiday Inn development) and it is in the heart of downtown. As a new hotel it might have rooms available. Staying in Tuscaloosa will allow you to enjoy the total experience of coming back for the first time in 25 years.
You simply aren't going to recognize campus or Tuscaloosa. You are going to be shocked. Pre game activities with Kick Off on the Quad will put you in the heart of activities. Visit the adjacent new Engineering Quad. I would research everything you can about game days on campus and all you can learn about Tuscaloosa. If you know where you are going and what you are going to do, it will enhance your homecoming experience.
Good luck and roll tide.

Crimson57s

1st Team
Aug 18, 2012
You came to a good place for advice. There are a couple of threads like this every year, and the TF members always come through with solid information.

We have used the downtown garage mentioned above for several years and it's great. We walk to and from it, as the busses have their schedule and we have ours. It is covered and free.

You won't recognize anything, between the growth and the effects of the tornado.

I suggest you take your wife to Bryant Museum. It will help her understand what we get so excited about, plus you will want to see all the recent additions.

If I were driving your route, I would opt for a motel in Meridian, as there will be far fewer people on the interstate in that direction. Traffic is a nightmare. The stadium now holds more people than actually live in T-town, and the roads are not designed for that load, so be patient.

There is also a wealth of information on rolltide.com. The week of the game, go there for the times of all the gameday activities.

The biggest lesson I've learned is, given all the time and effort you put in to go to a game when you live far away, don't cut the gameday experience short. Go early, go see everything you can, and stay to the end. Nothing beats being there at the finish and joining in Rammer Jammer!

tideche89

Sep 26, 2010
Thanks everyone for the input so far. I did not know about the embassy suites opening in Tuscaloosa. I did some searching and it appears that they have a projected opening date in December so it may not be open for the game. I would have been quite willing to pay a premium for that if it was available. I did not find a four points sheraton and google pointed me to the Capstone when I searched for it. I assume it has been renamed the Capstone. It was all sold out. I am trying to be realistic given that I am starting my search six months before rather than a year before.

I went ahead and booked refundable rooms in both Meridian and Hoover as backup in case I cannot find something in Tuscaloosa. That leaves me with with both the driving and flying options. Given that it is also Thanksgiving weekend, the airfares are a bit high so we may choose to drive.

Tickets on stubhub seem to be in the $500 range which I guess is to be expected. I just need to pull the trigger on that and we will be good to go. Then I can focus on seeing if I can improve on my hotel options.

Again, thanks for all your input. Keep it coming if you have anything to add and I will certainly appreciate it.

Roll Tide!

Tideche89

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I agree with the previous poster who recommended SWA into Birmingham.

Get a room at the Wynfrey in Hoover. If it's full, there are multiple options in the Embassy Suites quality range. But between now and game day, keep trying to get the Capstone -- you might luck into a cancellation. If you do, it'll be expensive, but well worth it.

Campus is hugely different -- and better in every way -- from your undergrad days. You might want to see if you can get a tour of the Shelby Quad. It's state-of-the-art engineering, science and tech.

You won't believe the tailgating on the main quad. Tents, barbecue, coolers and fun as far as you can see. Truly a spectacle.

The Strip is a bit updated on the campus end, but not much. There's been the usual turnover in storefront occupants, but it still has the same feel it always has.

On the entertainment front, downtown is the major change in the last 20-25 years. All sorts of options, at varying price points. Black Warrior Brewing has a taproom on University. DePalma's is still solid, and recommendations for Mugshots and Five are sound. Tin Top is good, but it's impossible to duplicate the fresh seafood at the Bon Secour location.

There are two upper end options in downtown -- Epiphany and Chuck's Fish.

For a nightcap, Alcove is a great choice. And all of that is in easy walking distance from the parking deck already recommended.

Good luck on your hotel.

Last edited:

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
The site I typically get all of my tickets through is seatgeek.com. I would highly recommend checking then out. I've gotten great deals on tickets to pretty much every major sport, and I got killer seats to the Bama vs Ole Miss game last year. (Front row at the 45 yardline) the thing about seatgeek is they pull from all of the major ticket sites such as stubhub, ticketmaster, and a bunch of others. Not only do they offer the same seats as stubhub, they also rate how good of a deal you are getting so you can know you aren't getting ripped off in the process. It's where I always start my search, and I've had great success with it. Hopefully that'll help your ticket search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
If you depart early enough, you will have no trouble driving from Hoover. I do it every game without issue. Post game traffic is obviously another matter

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
DO NOT BUY YOUR TICKETS YET!!!!!

I went to the Iron Bowl in 2012. If I had bought the seats now it would have run me about $400 per seat. That's for a seat with a face value of $85. I wound up paying about $115 and I purchased the the Sunday before the Iron Bowl - they got here Tuesday before a Saturday game.

Now - odds are you cannot wait that late.

However - you need to let the season unfold a little bit. Each loss by either team will lower the price. The game didn't match two unbeatens last year and it won't this year, either. The week one of the teams loses normally sees a massive drop in ticket prices to something more affordable - or at least a little bit less.

Auburn won't be 3-9 this year, either, so you can't get them on November 23. But let it play out - patience is the key.

And I wouldn't use CraigsList for anything. I've used StubHub for dozens of sporting events and while it tends to cost a little more you're at least guaranteed to get a seat. You might get scammed outside of BDS (or any other stadium).

tideche89

Sep 26, 2010
Thanks for tips about parking, eating out, barbecue and getting seats. I am sure Tuscaloosa has changed a lot since I was last there that I am going to need those tips about eating out. When I last had season tickets (88 season), Derrick Thomas was playing for Bama and we had to drive to Birmingham for a few games, so it has been a really long time.

I am debating about ticket purchase timing. Selmaborntidefan does bring up a good point because it feels like current pricing appears to based on the belief that there will be two unbeaten teams playing that day. However, I doubt there will be much of a change in prices before September. Can I be that patient?

Again, thanks everyone.

Roll Tide!

Tideche89

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This is going to sound strange, but I think everyone will back me up on it: tickets are actually the LAST thing you have to worry about. Seriously. Your lodging and travel plans (particularly since it's over the Thanksgiving break and the interstates are full of traffic jams and the air is full of planes) have to come first.

Tickets WILL COME DOWN in late September (or earlier if someone loses before then). I've watched every day the last two years. Fans right now who have already decided they are not going are trying to get every penny they can out of those seats. Once the season starts, you will see a drop of about $25-$40 per seat simply by virtue of the approaching game. The first loss will knock the tickets down even more.

For example, last year in the summertime, tickets were about what they are now ($325). After Auburn lost to LSU, they dropped to about $195. Even though that is more than double face value, a person would have saved $130 PER SEAT just by waiting. My advice on StubHub is that you actually need to wait until October 12 and then make your decision. That's the day after Auburn plays MSU. If both teams are unbeaten then, you will probably have to decide to bite the bullet (although I'd check here on the tickets board because there are fans who thought in September they're going but circumstances change).

Remember this: if the tickets go up by then they usually won't go up by enough to matter (e.g. they're not going to skyrocket from $325 to $400 overnight unless it's again for the SEC and it's after we've beaten LSU). But they WILL drop enough to matter.

Now, I'm sure the counter argument is the obscene prices for the aTm game last year. But you have to remember some mitigating circumstances:
a) Kyle Field seats almost 20,000 fewer fans at present than BDS
b) Texas is a MUCH larger buying market than Alabama
c) the game was early in the year (when weather was presumably "better," though that may be a matter of dispute) when both teams were unbeaten and neither had lost since their last match-up.

To give a personal example of circumstance: I refused to pay $400 for a nose bleed seat for the Alabama-Michigan game here in Dallas even though I had the funds. A hurricane was bearing down on Alabama and literally thousands of tickets suddenly became available the last week - so I got a nosebleed seat at $125 (face) rather than $400. Because of that one thing, I went to two games in BDS that year simply because I had the funds.

Granted, that's a little different since the game was in another state. But simply make your plan and be patient.

Plane tickets is another story - because you have to remember the demand for plane tickets on Sunday after Thanksgiving will be different than the demand if you fly in on Friday.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
This is going to sound strange, but I think everyone will back me up on it: tickets are actually the LAST thing you have to worry about. Seriously. Your lodging and travel plans (particularly since it's over the Thanksgiving break and the interstates are full of traffic jams and the air is full of planes) have to come first.

Tickets WILL COME DOWN in late September (or earlier if someone loses before then). I've watched every day the last two years. Fans right now who have already decided they are not going are trying to get every penny they can out of those seats. Once the season starts, you will see a drop of about $25-$40 per seat simply by virtue of the approaching game. The first loss will knock the tickets down even more.

For example, last year in the summertime, tickets were about what they are now ($325). After Auburn lost to LSU, they dropped to about $195. Even though that is more than double face value, a person would have saved $130 PER SEAT just by waiting. My advice on StubHub is that you actually need to wait until October 12 and then make your decision. That's the day after Auburn plays MSU. If both teams are unbeaten then, you will probably have to decide to bite the bullet (although I'd check here on the tickets board because there are fans who thought in September they're going but circumstances change).

Remember this: if the tickets go up by then they usually won't go up by enough to matter (e.g. they're not going to skyrocket from $325 to $400 overnight unless it's again for the SEC and it's after we've beaten LSU). But they WILL drop enough to matter.

Now, I'm sure the counter argument is the obscene prices for the aTm game last year. But you have to remember some mitigating circumstances:
a) Kyle Field seats almost 20,000 fewer fans at present than BDS
b) Texas is a MUCH larger buying market than Alabama
c) the game was early in the year (when weather was presumably "better," though that may be a matter of dispute) when both teams were unbeaten and neither had lost since their last match-up.

To give a personal example of circumstance: I refused to pay $400 for a nose bleed seat for the Alabama-Michigan game here in Dallas even though I had the funds. A hurricane was bearing down on Alabama and literally thousands of tickets suddenly became available the last week - so I got a nosebleed seat at $125 (face) rather than $400. Because of that one thing, I went to two games in BDS that year simply because I had the funds.

Granted, that's a little different since the game was in another state. But simply make your plan and be patient.

Plane tickets is another story - because you have to remember the demand for plane tickets on Sunday after Thanksgiving will be different than the demand if you fly in on Friday.
Great advice. I think the prices will come down due to the fact of a 3 loss auburn team playing in the game.:biggrin2:

b2v4ua

All-SEC
Dec 12, 2009
Springville,Al
My two cents for what its worth. If you don't want to deal with the traffic leave B'ham 5 hours before game time. It has worked for me for 3 straight years. Parking is a nightmare and I would have been able to tell you a great place to park but they are ripping it down....progress. Roads around the stadium are closed so as someone earlier suggested parking downtown in a deck and taking a bus in might do you better. TTown has changed quite a bit. Nothing beats the tailgating in and around the Quad and the stadium will shock you on the editions to it. The whole demeanor before the game is thrilling with the music and videos. Heck even the way you yell is different then when you last were there. ( you'll see once you get inside). Enjoy the best stadium, fans, and oh yeah the BEST football team in the nation....Roll Tide

tideche89

Sep 26, 2010
Ok, I guess I will wait till we are a few games into the season before I buy the tickets. It is going to really test my patience though!

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions and input.

Roll Tide!

Tideche89

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Oh it will - but it will be worth it. Because in the back of your mind if you pay $400 PER TICKET will be, "Gee, we could have saved $500 just by waiting a month."

If I had paid that total in the spring of 2012 for the game I got, I would have been sick as a dog. Esp after we seemingly were out of it with the aTm loss.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
For lodging, check out the Comfort Inn in Livingston, AL. It's about an hour south of Tuscaloosa and it's right off I-59. Livingston is where the University of West Alabama is, so it's a decent hotel. There's not much to do or a lot of places to eat there (although Diamond Jim's steakhouse is great), but it would save you the extra half-hour to Meridian. There are still rooms available, though reviews are mixed because it's under remodel.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.