Game Thread: OK, time for the big one - Bama vs. Florida, 7:00 PM, CDT, ESPN2...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Not sure I wouldn't pitch Littlejohn. She is a totally different pitcher than J Train. Spins the ball.
I was actually thinking the same tonight, before the dam broke. Their hitters are good enough that they can get the barrel on the heat pitches, and that's all it takes. Littlejohn pitches more like Rogers. It would give them an entirely new look - and JT can still come in late...

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
I think the girls need to swing the bats more. Taking too many pitches...especially called strikes. If they win the next game, which I think they will, there is a really high percentage they will win the series.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Yea as a batter these days especially in softball you put yourself at a disadvantage once you go down a strike. Baseball it always seems like you always have a shot even against the best, but softball is an elite pitchers game period. Going a strike down without fighting puts you at a huge disadvantage, especially with Rodgers in the circle.

Sent from my Verizon LG G2 4G

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Problem is she keeps the ball low, and if you swing, you hit over the top. The best approach may to get as deep in the batter's box as you can, and hope there is enough rise to get good wood on it.

Just don't watch the first one go by.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Problem is she keeps the ball low, and if you swing, you hit over the top. The best approach may to get as deep in the batter's box as you can, and hope there is enough rise to get good wood on it.

And let's hope last night's "first pitch down the pipe" is going to be the lizard's strategy in the next two.
As I posted in the Oregon thread, if the lizards are swinging the bats Bama will have their hands full. If they don't get the bats off their shoulders it will end tonight, for sure. Bama can win the next two, but I don't think either will be a shutout (of the lizards).
Let's go, ladies; this is your time. RTR

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Yall gotta explain the "get as deep in the box" theory to me. If she's throwing a low drop ball...then, in my mind, you would want to be in the front of the box? To me, they are so far back, they're swinging while the ball is in the middle of the drop...hence the swing over the top? Watch mlb'ers...when they go against good curve ball pitchers, they don't get in the back of the box and wait till the end of the break? One way or another...they're gonna have to adjust. RTR

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Murph's MO. I don't know why but we have always taken a lot of 1st pitch strikes. I guess we are looking for a pitch we are not getting.
When I played baseball I never paid attention to what the coaches said about taking pitches because it never made sense to me since I'm the guy at the plate. Either I can hit it or or I can't but if that first one was anywhere near the strike zone I was usually on it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Our girls last night were standing with their back foot touching the back line of the box. They showed it several times...

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
Re: OK, time for the big one - Bama vs. Florida, 7:00 PM, CDT, ESPN...

I personally think it's a great idea to include the softball thread here because more eyes will have the opportunity to see it and participate.
Those ladies work hard and deserve all the support we can give them!
Thanks for starting the thread.
sip
Totally agree!

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
I was actually thinking the same tonight, before the dam broke. Their hitters are good enough that they can get the barrel on the heat pitches, and that's all it takes. Littlejohn pitches more like Rogers. It would give them an entirely new look - and JT can still come in late...
I was thinking this same thing Earle. Give them something different to look at tonight. JT will benefit from the rest. We need to make adjustments and do better. It was UF's night last night and there is no reason why tonight cannot be our night. But we cannot do the same things we did last night.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

If you are going to lose, do so while being aggressive.

I know the ball in Baseball or Softball is approaching you, as a batter, quickly, but if it's in an area where I can hit it I'm going to swing at it.

It disturbs me to see the bat on someone's shoulder when a strike is called. You can't hit it if you don't swing at it.

All should watch the pitcher when they are in the on-deck circle, so that they are better prepared to face the pitcher when they are in the batters box. If they have their foot on the back line, chances are that a breaking ball is going to break even more back there.

If you're going down, do so while being aggressive so that there will be no second thoughts about what you should have done.

Now, if a pitcher is wild, I can see you taking more balls instead of swinging at the air. However, I do hate to see a batter praying for or begging for a WALK!

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
Yall gotta explain the "get as deep in the box" theory to me. If she's throwing a low drop ball...then, in my mind, you would want to be in the front of the box? To me, they are so far back, they're swinging while the ball is in the middle of the drop...hence the swing over the top? Watch mlb'ers...when they go against good curve ball pitchers, they don't get in the back of the box and wait till the end of the break? One way or another...they're gonna have to adjust. RTR
^^ This

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008

If you are going to lose, do so while being aggressive.

I know the ball in Baseball or Softball is approaching you, as a batter, quickly, but if it's in an area where I can hit it I'm going to swing at it.

It disturbs me to see the bat on someone's shoulder when a strike is called. You can't hit it if you don't swing at it.

All should watch the pitcher when they are in the on-deck circle, so that they are better prepared to face the pitcher when they are in the batters box. If they have their foot on the back line, chances are that a breaking ball is going to break even more back there.

If you're going down, do so while being aggressive so that there will be no second thoughts about what you should have done.

Now, if a pitcher is wild, I can see you taking more balls instead of swinging at the air. However, I do hate to see a batter praying for or begging for a WALK!
When I played baseball, the one thing that would get you in more trouble with the coach than anything was watching a called third strike. Drives me nuts too.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

We had opportunities and didn't take advantage. UF did. I think we come back and win and then it's anybodys guess.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
It's not where you are in the box, it's if you can control the bat. An outside pitch can be hit hard one way only--to right field. You have to wait a little longer to swing. Timing thing.
An inside pitch has to be jumped on fast and has to be pulled.
A pitch down the middle should be hit up the middle.
sip

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.