BOL: Former Clemson QB Chad Kelly Visits Alabama on Sunday

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
That is not accurate based on what I recall. As a true freshman, Blake Sims played quarterback at A-Day. I'm not really sure what you're basing what you said on, but from what I know Blake Sims got his first look at QB and was moved elsewhere due to depth at the position (namely AJ entrenched as starter and Phillip Sims entrenched as the backup).
that's how I remember it too

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He was not recruited as a qb, but as a safety. His first day of practice at Bama was at safety, then he was tried at wr, then he was moved to rb, then he was moved to qb. because of a shortage of people at the qb position, then to rb and then back to qb.
From Saturday, August 6, 2010:

After yesterday's split sessions, Alabama's entire team joined up for practice today outdoors in very warm, very muggy conditions.

Mercifully, rain began to sprinkle early in practice. Cruelly, it stopped quickly. The big news was the movement of Blake Sims, the multi-purpose freshman who just qualified academically yesterday and practiced last night as a safety with the defense.

Today Sims was wearing a white No. 18, signaling a move to offense. During the early part of practice, he was throwing with the quarterbacks. Honestly, I wouldn't read too much into it. Sims' arm looked pretty rusty right off the bat, and he wasn't in a black, no-contact jersey that is standard for the Tide's QBs. My bet? There's a good shot he'll be tried at other offensive positions as well before winding up where this team needs him the most: Safety.
From Saban's August 10, 2010 press conference:

@CecilHurt NS: Blake Sims very open to playing something other than QB, but can run a scout team or Wildcat so develop him as quasi-QB/RB.

@BamaBeat Saban: "We're trying to develop (Blake Sims) as sort of a quasi-QB/WR." Could play safety at some point.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
IIRC Blake was told he would be allowed to compete for QB when recruiting him.

As for Kelly I'm not sure we have depth problems to worry about at this point.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I didn't take his remark as a shot at our top two quarterbacks, they wouldn't be in contention if they weren't quality players. I would be happy to see one or the other emerge, with the fans' general consensus that he's the best available. As we've been discussing, each of our top two guys have assets and also a downside. I'm hoping the best one will pull away from the other, and light it up.
i said blake played well in his first game.

but the ongoing discussion of what he was recruited for actually bolsters my argument...we have a guy who was apparently recruited to play every position on the team at some point or another and only because we lost a bunch of other guys ahead of him he was converted from a backup running back to backup qb.

everyone's entitled to their opinion, and if people think that this is the normal way to develop qb talent that's fine...it just seems as though something is missing the process.

on the "football life" about tom brady on NFL network, they ask belichick "how did so many other teams misjudge brady so badly?" to which he replied "well, we obviously misjudged him too because we didn't draft him until the 6th round."

does the fact that brady turned out to be HOF player mean the evaluation process that led to his coming into the league was on target? by the coach's own admission it was not.

i submit that although we have two viable starters on the roster, it is not the way one would think a school like alabama would establish a qb roster.

that's all i'm saying.

fire away!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
ii submit that although we have two viable starters on the roster, it is not the way one would think a school like alabama would establish a qb roster.

that's all i'm saying.
I guess I'm having trouble rectifying your question with the data that's been presented. Since CNS has been here we've had a good, developed QB ready to play every year except for this season, as we've lost several QBs over the last two years to transfers because they didn't want to wait for their shot.

I've assumed you're not being purposefully obtuse but it's starting to look an awful lot like that.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
we have a guy who was apparently recruited to play every position on the team at some point or another and only because we lost a bunch of other guys ahead of him he was converted from a backup running back to backup qb. !
THIS...IS...NOT...TRUE!

I am not sure how many times this has to be said. One player, only one player ahead of Sims was "lost". That's Phillip Sims, (unless you count AJ who Sims backed up). One, the rest, that whole list, including Del Rio, was a bunch of guys that were behind Sims for a reason. They were not all busts, they were not all talentless, but they were behind him. It's not opinion, it's the depth chart...

You seem to be caught up on the idea that Blake at QB wasn't necessarily the first choice, and that's true, the first choice was Phillip Sims at QB. But, he transferred, and Blake impressed, and kept impressing. That doesn't mean anything bad happened, that doesn't mean anything else went wrong. Ely transferred, Del Rio transferred, McLeod transferred... not because they weren't good enough, because Sims apparently was better.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I agree. We've had hard time recuiting top tier QBs until recently, and its enough to be nervous about it for next few years. Maybe it is what we need to "jolt" our QBs next year.... I don't know.
We've actually recruited some who were supposed to be. P. Sims was either the #1 or#2 QB in the nation. That proves that it's easy for a lot of people to be wrong in projecting development...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
He was not recruited as a qb, but as a safety. His first day of practice at Bama was at safety, then he was tried at wr, then he was moved to rb, then he was moved to qb. because of a shortage of people at the qb position, then to rb and then back to qb.
This is not correct. He was a dual threat QB in HS, but we recruited him in the "athlete" category, which basically means "Wherever he will fit in." He knew that and he was cool with it...

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I guess I'm having trouble rectifying your question with the data that's been presented. Since CNS has been here we've had a good, developed QB ready to play every year except for this season, as we've lost several QBs over the last two years to transfers because they didn't want to wait for their shot.

I've assumed you're not being purposefully obtuse but it's starting to look an awful lot like that.
i'm not trying to be obtuse.

saying that all these people left doesn't answer the question of why they left. they all left because they didn't get playing time even though they knew there were established players ahead of them and supposedly a lot of depth? did they not know the kind of talent they were up against when they signed?

do we have the same attrition problem at other positions?

is it a matter of simply signing too many 4 and 5 star recruits who face a logjam of competition?

i honestly don't know.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
THIS...IS...NOT...TRUE!

I am not sure how many times this has to be said. One player, only one player ahead of Sims was "lost". That's Phillip Sims, (unless you count AJ who Sims backed up). One, the rest, that whole list, including Del Rio, was a bunch of guys that were behind Sims for a reason. They were not all busts, they were not all talentless, but they were behind him. It's not opinion, it's the depth chart...

You seem to be caught up on the idea that Blake at QB wasn't necessarily the first choice, and that's true, the first choice was Phillip Sims at QB. But, he transferred, and Blake impressed, and kept impressing. That doesn't mean anything bad happened, that doesn't mean anything else went wrong. Ely transferred, Del Rio transferred, McLeod transferred... not because they weren't good enough, because Sims apparently was better.
excuse me for being confused by the 1000 different versions of blake smith's recruitment that have been posted in this thread.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

saying that all these people left doesn't answer the question of why they left. they all left because they didn't get playing time even though they knew there were established players ahead of them and supposedly a lot of depth? did they not know the kind of talent they were up against when they signed?

is it a matter of simply signing too many 4 and 5 star recruits who face a logjam of competition?

i honestly don't know.
You're talking about the one position that doesn't have a rotation. The OL has a little, and the other positions rotate plenty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

i honestly don't know.
I think one reason backup QBs transfer from Bama a lot if CNS doesn't let them throw it much the few times they do get in the game. A game like tomorrow the backup should play at least the entire second half. That hasn't really happened before. Maybe some of the eagerness to play would be tempered by some PT and letting them throw some..

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
We've actually recruited some who were supposed to be. P. Sims was either the #1 or#2 QB in the nation. That proves that it's easy for a lot of people to be wrong in projecting development...
He's in his third QB battle in four years....
Now at Winston-Salem State, Sims is still battling it out entering Saturday's opener with UNC Pembroke. Coach Kienus Boulware said it could come down to a coin flip between Sims and Rudy Johnson, the News Argus reported.
http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2014/09/alabama_qb_phillip_sims.html

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think one reason backup QBs transfer from Bama a lot if CNS doesn't let them throw it much the few times they do get in the game. A game like tomorrow the backup should play at least the entire second half. That hasn't really happened before. Maybe some of the eagerness to play would be tempered by some PT and letting them throw some..
I think it's largely the ebullience of youth. They come in thinking they can beat the world and out-compete anyone. Then, they come in and watch Croyle, Wilson, McElroy or McCarron, and they realize that somebody's going to have to get hurt for them to see the field. Then they realize how few years they have to make an impression on the NFL, do the math, and leave for a better showcase. I think that accounts for the vast majority of the QB transfers...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I think it's largely the ebullience of youth. They come in thinking they can beat the world and out-compete anyone. Then, they come in and watch Croyle, Wilson, McElroy or McCarron, and they realize that somebody's going to have to get hurt for them to see the field. Then they realize how few years they have to make an impression on the NFL, do the math, and leave for a better showcase. I think that accounts for the vast majority of the QB transfers...
Absolutely. This why highly rated HS QBs should understand this before committing. Luke Del Rio had offers from Oregon State and Okie State and chose to walk on at Alabama? Somebody needs to advise these young men before they make a huge mistake.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Others have asked about it too, but it seems to some degree that Blake Sims athletic talent may have been wasted at Bama up until now by waiting in line to play qb.

Now, if he goes on to be the permanent starter this year it might not matter, at least to him, but he seems to have the althletic ability to have played some other positions before now.

I just hope courting a guy with two years of eligibility like Kelly doesn't discourage Blake Barnett from staying true to his commitment.

I really believe the next, great qb battle will be between Cornwell and Barnett.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.