BOL: Former Clemson QB Chad Kelly Visits Alabama on Sunday

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Absolutely. This why highly rated HS QBs should understand this before committing. Luke Del Rio had offers from Oregon State and Okie State and chose to walk on at Alabama? Somebody needs to advise these young men before they make a huge mistake.
Many thought Del Rio's desire to walk on was more about his future in coaching and being able to learn from CNS.

Now, he may have also thought he was good enough to play eventually at Bama.

I remember several saying they really believed that if AJ would have gone down last year that Del Rio would have been given a crash course in mid season and he would have probably passed Blake Sims by. Who knows what might have happened, then.

Of course, many also thought Del Rio might be in a good position to win the job this year, but then Coker transferred and since he was promised the job by CNS Del Rio saw the writing on the wall and transfered.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We've actually recruited some who were supposed to be. P. Sims was either the #1 or#2 QB in the nation. That proves that it's easy for a lot of people to be wrong in projecting development...
Philip Sims is a bad example of the difficult of projecting development. The 2010 QB class was just bad overall.

Rivals' ranking for pro-style QB

1. Jake Heaps
2. Philip Sims
3. Connor Wood
4. Brett Nottingham
5. Jesse Scroggins
6. Blake Bell
7. Tyler Bray
8. Paul Jones
9. Zach Lee
10. Scotty Young

Rivals' ranking for dual-threat QB

1. Devin Gardner
2. Robert Bolden
3. Barry Brunetti
4. James Franklin
5. Terrance Broadway
6. Johnny Deaton
7. Brion Carnes
8. Jeffrey Godfrey
9. Jeremy Johnson
10. Sean Robinson

How many of those QBs done something significant in college? James Franklin and Devin Gardner are the only two I see, and Gardner hasn't done much. He just plays for Michigan.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Philip Sims is a bad example of the difficult of projecting development. The 2010 QB class was just bad overall.

Rivals' ranking for pro-style QB

1. Jake Heaps
2. Philip Sims
3. Connor Wood
4. Brett Nottingham
5. Jesse Scroggins
6. Blake Bell
7. Tyler Bray
8. Paul Jones
9. Zach Lee
10. Scotty Young

Rivals' ranking for dual-threat QB

1. Devin Gardner
2. Robert Bolden
3. Barry Brunetti
4. James Franklin
5. Terrance Broadway
6. Johnny Deaton
7. Brion Carnes
8. Jeffrey Godfrey
9. Jeremy Johnson
10. Sean Robinson

How many of those QBs done something significant in college? James Franklin and Devin Gardner are the only two I see, and Gardner hasn't done much. He just plays for Michigan.
Boy that was a pretty bad year for QB recruits...

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Yep, but look down that list to #44. Blake Bortles, wasn't he the #1 QB pick in the recent NFL draft? Kind of makes you wonder about all these #1 recruiting classes we have had.
it makes me wonder why the art of recruit ranking misses the QB position so much but when I look at our team versus most others the #1 recruits are very very evident. 47 (if thats right) players in the NFL takes a lot of the wonder away too

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
it makes me wonder why the art of recruit ranking misses the QB position so much but when I look at our team versus most others the #1 recruits are very very evident. 47 (if thats right) players in the NFL takes a lot of the wonder away too

Maybe because it is such a mental position.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Yep, but look down that list to #44. Blake Bortles, wasn't he the #1 QB pick in the recent NFL draft? Kind of makes you wonder about all these #1 recruiting classes we have had.
More of our players overall pan out than not. OTOH, Our coaches (and all other coaches for that matter) miss players in your own backyard that go to smaller schools become NFL stars. There's only so many players you can evaluate and you have the pick the best 25 or so out of the 100's you evaluate in a given year.

I wonder if the bulk of our QB evaluations comes more from our OC's or CNS. I wonder what, or how much input CNS has on those decisions of who to sign. That's not meant to be a knock on CNS, I just wonder how those decisions are made. I think CNS realizes that any OC that comes here and has success isn't going to be here forever, so I imagine he doesn't let an OC have full discretion of taking who he wants because they won't likely be here when those players are seniors.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.