2014 Pre-Season SEC SIDs Superlatives List

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
As with any list that comes out in the pre-season, it means absolutely nothing. But for your reading pleasure anyway....

MOST VALUABLE PLAYER

QB Nick Marshall, Auburn
Next: RB Todd Gurley, Georgia
TOP HEISMAN CANDIDATE
QB Nick Marshall, Auburn
Next: RB Todd Gurley, Georgia
MOST VERSATILE
Christion Jones, Alabama
Next: Malcolm Mitchell, Georgia
MOST UNDERRATED
OL A.J. Cann, South Carolina
Next: QB Dak Prescott, Miss. State
BEST ATHLETE
QB Nick Marshall, Auburn
Next: WR/KR Christion Jones, Alabama
BEST LEADER
LB Ramik Wilson, Georgia
Next: LB Curt Maggitt, Tennessee
BEST OUTSIDE LINEBACKER
Alvin Dupree, Kentucky
Next: Kwon Alexander, LSU
BEST INSIDE LINEBACKER
Ramik Wilson, Georgia
Next: A.J. Johnson, Tennessee
BEST DEFENSIVE LINEMAN
Dante Fowler, Florida
Next: Trey Flowers, Arkansas
BEST CORNERBACK
Vernon Hargreaves III, Florida
Next: Jalen Mills, LSU
BEST SAFETY
Landon Collins, Alabama
Next: Cody Prewitt, Ole Miss
BEST OFFENSIVE LINEMAN
Jarvis Harrison, Texas A&M
Next: Reese Dismukes, Auburn
BEST RECEIVER
Amari Cooper, Alabama
Next: Sammie Coates, Auburn
BEST RUNNER
Todd Gurley, Georgia
Next: Mike Davis, South Carolina
BEST BLOCKING BACK
Jalston Fowler, Alabama
Next: Mike Davis, South Carolina
BEST PASSER
Maty Mauk, Missouri
Next: Nick Marshall, Auburn
BEST KICK RETURNER
Christion Jones, Alabama
Next: Andre Dubose, Florida
BEST PLACE-KICKER
Marshall Morgan, Georgia
Next: Colby Delahoussaye, LSU
BEST PUNTER
Drew Kaser, Texas A&M
Next: Devon Bell, Miss. State

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Its laughable to me to have nick marshal as the 2nd best passer. No problem with him as the best athlete, top heisman candidate, or most valuable player. 2nd best passer though? No way.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Its laughable to me to have nick marshal as the 2nd best passer. No problem with him as the best athlete, top heisman candidate, or most valuable player. 2nd best passer though? No way.
I don't know. Given the amount of talent that left the SEC at the QB position this past year, I'm hard pressed to say for sure that there is a passer I'd put ahead of Marshall right now.

In other words, I think the list is indicative more of the lack of talent at QB this year than indicative of Nick Marshall's talent.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Completely agree that Marshall's passing skills are completely exaggerated. Who cares if it is for lack of talent in the league, he's not a great passer. Admittedly, he got better as the year went on but I'm not so sure that he got better throwing the ball as much as his receivers got more and more wide open because of their great running game and trickeration stunts they pull.

Not saying the Barn is not talented and will be a good team this year, but Auburn is being set up on a pedestal and if last years team chemistry is NOT replicated, they could be in for a huge disappointment.

If their O-line can't open up the same holes, if their running back can't hit them as well as Mason did then Nick Marshall is not going to start winning games with his arm!

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
I am done with "List Season" - it used to be a fun way to wait for Fall Practice. Now it is flooding the market like Tilapia :mad2:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Yea I would have but TJ over Mike Davis but not a huge gripe there. Mike Davis is very explosive. I would give TJ the slight edge though.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I don't know. Given the amount of talent that left the SEC at the QB position this past year, I'm hard pressed to say for sure that there is a passer I'd put ahead of Marshall right now.

In other words, I think the list is indicative more of the lack of talent at QB this year than indicative of Nick Marshall's talent.
It's not a lack of talent at QB but a lack of experience at QB. That list will look different after 12 games when 1st year starters have completed their season.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
I would say, from looking at that list, that the SEC will be down from last year. If nothing else, in star power alone. I kept thinking to myself, as I scanned the list, "Who?".

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
It's not a lack of talent at QB but a lack of experience at QB. That list will look different after 12 games when 1st year starters have completed their season.
True. Lack of experience, not talent, is likely what has Marshall in the top 2. And I agree that it will look different, probably after about 6 games when we get a feel for how some of the new starters play.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's 85 days till college football so I'm dusting off my Crimson Colored Glasses and predicting Bama's qb will be one of the top qbs in the SEC!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.