Link: Miami (FL) in Talks to Play Alabama or LSU

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
What would be great is if we could play it in the Superdome. That would generate some extra interest I'd imagine.
Although New Orleans is arguably the single best big-event location in the country, there are three issues with playing a big neutral site game in New Orleans in late August / early September:

(1) Limited interest from the local population, who will be instead directing nearly all of their attention to the LSU season opener being played on the same day regardless of who plays one another in the Superdome game.

(2) Given the above, the game will rely an extraordinary amount of out-of-towners to not only buy tickets but to keep prices at a high level, and there is a concern that with the typical 90-100 degree heat and humidity that you have in New Orleans that time of year, that will work to keep a decent number of out-of-towners from making the trip. At the very least, the oppressive heat reduces ticket demand by a noticeable amount.

(3) That timeline is right in the middle of hurricane season, and schools (and networks) have the concern over possible cancellation of games if a hurricane enters the Gulf during the 96-hour period surrounding the game. Schools then have to worry about re-scheduling and missing a planned bye week (remember A&M in 2012 after the La Tech game was cancelled?), and the potential ratings just fall through the floor for the networks.

Again, NOLA is a great town for big events, but I can see why they haven't attracted any of these games. It's a significantly more attractive venue in late fall and through the winter than it is in the late summer.

Last edited:

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Although New Orleans is arguably the single best big-event location in the country, there are three issues with playing a big neutral site game in New Orleans in late August / early September:

(1) Limited interest from the local population, who will be instead directing nearly all of their attention to the LSU season opener being played on the same day regardless of who plays one another in the Superdome game.

(2) Given the above, the game will rely an extraordinary amount of out-of-towners to not only buy tickets but to keep prices at a high level, and there is a concern that with the typical 90-100 degree heat and humidity that you have in New Orleans that time of year, that will work to keep a decent number of out-of-towners from making the trip. At the very least, the oppressive heat reduces ticket demand by a noticeable amount.

(3) That timeline is right in the middle of hurricane season, and schools (and networks) have the concern over possible cancellation of games if a hurricane enters the Gulf during the 96-hour period surrounding the game. Schools then have to worry about re-scheduling and missing a planned bye week (remember A&M in 2012 after the La Tech game was cancelled?), and the potential ratings just fall through the floor for the networks.

Again, NOLA is a great town for big events, but I can see why they haven't attracted any of these games. It's a significantly more attractive venue in late fall and through the winter than it is in the late summer.
Yeah, I figure we've played in Atlanta and Dallas, the next destination that would be neutral site is NOLA. I didn't think about hurricane season, but I think it wouldn't have an issue selling out.

I wouldn't mind Dallas again. That stadium is awesome (and I live in TX).

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Yeah, I figure we've played in Atlanta and Dallas, the next destination that would be neutral site is NOLA. I didn't think about hurricane season, but I think it wouldn't have an issue selling out.

I wouldn't mind Dallas again. That stadium is awesome (and I live in TX).
I don't think it would have a problem selling out, mind you, at least not against a quality, high-profile opponent (with a team like WVU that may be different), but again it's not just selling tickets, it's price point. All ticket sales aren't created equal, of course, and I do think that NOLA would have a difficult time supporting the overall pricing levels that we've seen at several other venues, such as the Georgia Dome and Jerryland.

And Dallas, er, Arlington, that's really just the perfect situation all the way around. Huge local market -- seven or eight times the size of NOLA, -- opulent facilities with a roof and climate control, big payouts, and all in a geographic area filled to the brim with rising prep talent. I'm sure we'll be back there again in the next few years.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
"If Miami were to play Alabama, the game would take place in 2017 as part of the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game in Atlanta. The game would also be at the new Atlanta stadium, which is currently scheduled to open in March of 2017."

http://www.fbschedules.com/2014/06/miami-talks-play-alabama-lsu/

The first event ever in the new Falcons stadium will not even be a Falcons game. It will be a soccer game for the new Atlanta soccer team owned by Blank.

carry on.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I was just going to say that someone should create a video of his finest moments in that Sugar Bowl. It should start out with a black screen and the words "Everybody knows me...", add in his fumbles, dropped passes, and being run down by Teague and stripped, and then end with him on the bench, peeking out from under the towel over his head.
Maybe they could include his ridiculous on-air comments during the Miami-Florida International brawl back in 2006 when he was part of the UM broadcast team. Comments that led to his firing. Poor Lamar. Maybe one day he'll realize that opening his mouth seldom ends well for him.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
Maybe they could include his ridiculous on-air comments during the Miami-Florida International brawl back in 2006 when he was part of the UM broadcast team. Comments that led to his firing. Poor Lamar. Maybe one day he'll realize that opening his mouth seldom ends well for him.
He's the Kanye West of college football.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.