Poll: Your "Most Appreciated" Saban National Championship Team

Most Appreciated National Championship Team

• Total voters

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
It's the offseason, a'ight? Let's have a little fun.

Alabama has been blessed with some wonderful National Championship teams. From Pat Trammell to AJ McCarron, Alabama has seen championship after championship. We've been fortunate to watch these new glory days of Alabama football and are in the middle, I believe, of a rare happening in sport that shows it's head once in a blue moon. Alabama fans have enjoyed the spoils many times.

Since Saban has come to Alabama, the Tide has amassed 2 SEC titles and 3 National Championships. What I would like to know is which of the recent Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship teams is "yours"? I hate to use the word "favorite" here because that makes us pick and choose, but which one did you most connect with and why?

2009- This team brought the titles back to Tuscaloosa. The year before their hearts were ripped out in the Georgia Dome by the Gators, led by Tim Tebow. The 2009 version of the Crimson Tide took one game at a time and would not allow anything but perfection. The Third Saturday in October almost proved to be the death nail, but this team never said die and they would go to the Atlanta and serve up a heaping helping of year long revenge on Florida. Led by such greats as Rolando McClain, Kareem Jackson, Javier Arenas, William Vlachos, Greg McElroy, Julio Jones and the Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram, this team would not be denied.

2011- Defense. That's the only word that comes to my mind when I think about this team. The loss to LSU in early November almost killed the dream, but the focus was still there to keep believing. When this team got a 2nd chance at redemption, that did not disappoint. Led by Alabama greats Donte Hightower, Courtney Upshaw, Dre Kirkpatrick, Chance Warmack, and the Doak Walker award winner Trent Richardson to name a few, this team thrived on not giving an inch and pounded you into submission.

2012- The group that continued the dominance. Were it not for the loss to Texas A&M this team could have run the table. Alabama got another 2nd chance by continuing to win (and watching others lose:)) and found themselves in Atlanta for an epic SEC Championship battle with Georgia. Once the clock ran out on Georgia, literally, Alabama found itself in South Beach where they dismantled an overconfident Notre Dame squad that realized they were still a couple years away from being where Alabama now sits. Led by AJ McCarron, Eddie Lacy, DJ Fluker, Barrett Jones, Jessie Williams, CJ Mosley, Dee Millner, Amari Cooper, Alabama won the first back-to-back National Championship in the BCS era.

So, which one sticks out to you?

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

Last edited:

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Boy you are asking a tough question. They all three have something special about them. Beating Florida and then Texas in 2009 then the great defense in 2011. I really enjoyed watching us whoop up on the greatest defense ever in the Irish . I guess the one that sticks out to me would be 2012 because of the lack of stress involved during the game.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I've certainly enjoyed all three, but 09 has special meaning to me. We had been down so many years and had our hopes dashed as we went through a plethora of coaches.
To me, this was the reason we went after Coach Saban. For him to accomplish the goal in only 3 years was and still is amazing! We also had the bonus of our first Heisman winner ever with Mark.

The victory over Notre Dame was sweet, but 09 was special. Roll Tide!
Enjoy the ride folks, the ride ain't over yet!

Rattlehead82

1st Team
Feb 3, 2008
Pace, FL
I guess it'd be 2009 for me. That one was the catalyst. That's the one that let everyone know that Alabama was back. It also started one of the greatest runs in college football history, if not THE greatest.

2011 was great because shutting out a team in the National Championship game spoke volumes. People want to cry about the rematch, but shutting down LSU 100% after blowing the first game says we definitely deserved to be there.

2012 was just pure comedy. Beating notre dame and humiliating te'o was too funny. Brian Kelly was done at halftime for goodness sakes.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
2011 - It was the year after my FiL passed, and it also was the year of the tornado losses. It meant so much to my family, and to the community.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
2008 was a comeback year of sorts for me. I'd had a rough few years leading up to then, but I got married in 2008 into a collegiate sports-obsessed family. FIL was golden gloves and played football and golf at FSU. His brother played college golf. His BIL played college basketball. My new wife's brother was on the UF tennis team and her cousin was on the UA womens gymnastics team. This is a sports-obsessed family who consider themselves experts on all things sports, all things SEC, and all things SEC football. Predominantly (with the exception of the UA gymnast cousin), they are UF and UGA fans.

I first met most of the extended family in mid-december just after the 2008 SECCG and they took great delight in rubbing in the results (UF beat us 31-20). That was also the first year that I participated in the family bowl-picking contest, which has been an annual family tradition for 20yrs or so, usually garnering around 40 entries from all of the extended family. The winner each year gets their name on a plaque, which gets to hang on their wall until someone else takes it from them.

Even as they were rubbing in the results of the SECCG, they offered to show me the plaque which was hanging on my FIL's wall. I declined, saying I'd see it in a few weeks anyway when they would have to send it to me to hang on my wall. I added that not only would I win it in 2008, but just to put them in their place, I'd make it two years in a row and take it in 2009 as well, to go along with the championship that UA would win in 2009. Since they are a huge trash-talking family to begin with, they appreciated my comments, even if they thought I had no chance at hitting on any of those predictions.

I won the plaque in 2008. The plaque stayed on my wall after the 2009 bowl season. Bama won the championship in 2009. And just for an extra touch of sweetness, MI took home Bama's first Heisman. I called my shots and shut down my extended family's trash talking.

So 2008/2009 were comeback years for me. 2009 was also a comeback year for Bama in several ways, getting revenge on UF in the 2009 SECCG to go on to win its first NC in 17yrs. 2008/2009 rocked.

Last edited:

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
2011, Because the LSU fans slowly realized they we're beat and left for the exits, leaving the whole Superdome for us to scream in.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
in '92 it had been 13 years since the last title.

by '09 it had been 17 years with horror in the middle.

the '09 BCS title game was one of the more critical games in the history of the program, imo.

Last edited:

11b

Jul 8, 2013
2011. The defense was other worldly. I still get goosebumps thinking about it.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I appreciated all three of the Alabama Crimson Tide National Championships.

I did NOT appreciate that one at LSU!

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
This is easy for me... 2009 by far. Undefeated! It brought titles back to Bama, made Tebow cry, the block, beat Texas and made Longhorn fans forever say "what if" (ha ha) and, Ingram brought home the Tide's first Heisman. What a year!

Now, my favorite of the Saban era championship games was the ND beat down. Nothing brings a smile to my face more then the looks on this Irish fan's faces. I wish the game never had to end.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
... Nothing brings a smile to my face more then the looks on this Irish fan's faces. I wish the game never had to end.
2012 was great no doubt. 2009 was magic but the 2011 Championship utter destruction of LSU will forever be priceless. While our defense that season was legendary, LSU's was darn near as good. We were just a more complete team that season. I love how we have not lost to them yet after that game.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
2012 was great no doubt. 2009 was magic but the 2011 Championship utter destruction of LSU will forever be priceless. While our defense that season was legendary, LSU's was darn near as good. We were just a more complete team that season. I love how we have not lost to them yet after that game.
How can I choose between beating Texas and beating Notre Dame?

Really though, I have to fall on the first. There were some young men who stepped up as unselfish leaders at a time when our team had a lot of selfishness. Even after they were gone they made an impact on the teammates that were exposed to their example. Hopefully our "reset" will expose some of the same type of young men.

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
Agree with all assessments here of each team.

That 2009 team for me was fun to watch. I love the fact that Alabama won with a quarterback that came to Bama after Tebow went to Florida. I love the fact that Mark Ingram, a guy who we were constantly reminded by Verne and Gary was the son of a father who was in prison, won Bama's first Heisman and is a class act. I love that Orlando McCain, I mean Rudolph McGillicutty, I mean Rolando McClain could read the offense better than the quarterbacks could read the defense. And I loved watching the vols reaction all over youtube after Cody blocked that field goal:).

Funny story about that vols game. I called my Dad right after the game to talk like we normally do. He picked up the phone and said, "DON'T SAY A WORD!! WE'RE 5 MINUTES BEHIND ON THE DVR AND WE'VE GOTTA STOP EM HERE!" I listened on the phone as Crompton threw the pass to the TE and timeout was called. When he was about to kick it, Dad said, "Well, here's the season." The next thing I hear is bedlam going on! The phone apparently fell to the floor and my Dad and sister were going nuts yelling "WOO HOO!! ROLL TIDE!!"

He got back on the phone and said, "I'm gettin too old for this." :)

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
I can't pick a favorite but I will list the special moments that stick out to me.

The 2009 USCe game was special, it was the moment many realized how good Ingram was. The 2009 SECCG was just a joy to watch. My favorite moment was right before half-time, when UF had scored a touchdown and were trying desperately to stay in the game. Ingram then got 65 yards on a screen pass with some superb running and we proceed to score a touchdown. That, to me, was the pin that popped Timmy's balloon.

In 2011, the defense was the best I've seen but there weren't many memorable games. Owning UF and Arkansas told me that the team was indeed special. Trent's game against Ole Miss was the best I've seen Trent play, and the "lost jockstrap" play was incredible. Of course, the most memorable moment that year was during the BCSNCG when Jordan Jefferson desperately reached forward, summoning every bit of strength left in him, not to score a touchdown, not to move the chains, but to reach the fifty-yard line. Reaching the fifty-yard line had NEVER meant so much to a football team. At that point it was all they had to fight for.

The 2012 squad featured the best OL I've seen in CFB. What we did in the SECCG and BCSNCG...never seen anything like it, not against squads that good. We've had plenty "you know what we're gonna do, but you still can't stop us" moments under CNS, but those two games stand out. Eddie Lacy spinning twice against ND to find the endzone on a screen pass sticks out in my mind.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
While I loved and appreciated all 3, If I'm being completely honest there was something extra special about 2009. Going 14-0, building Tennessee and Auburn's hopes up only to dash them at the very end, avenging the loss to Florida, and finally beating Texas. Oh and Mark Ingram wins the program's first Heisman trophy. That was a special season.

We had the best defense I've ever seen in 2011, one of the most dominant offenses Alabama has ever had in 2012, but that 2009 team was special.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.