D-Day, June 6, 1944. 70 year ago, today

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Every time I rise for the playing of the the National Anthem images similar to these below run through my mind. Jumping off those boats and charging up that beach under heavy fire... that's was a hell of thing. God bless 'em all.

From the D-Day Museum (http://www.ddaymuseum.co.uk/d-day/d-day-and-the-battle-of-normandy-your-questions-answered#stand): The Allied casualties figures for D-Day have generally been estimated at 10,000, including 2,500 dead. Broken down by nationality, the usual D-Day casualty figures are approximately 2,,700 British, 946 Canadians, and 6,603 Americans. However recent painstaking research by the US National D-Day Memorial Foundation has achieved a more accurate - and much higher - figure for the Allied personnel who were killed on D-Day. They have recorded the names of individual Allied personnel killed on 6 June 1944 in Operation Overlord, and so far they have verified 2,499 American D-Day fatalities and 1,914 from the other Allied nations, a total of 4,413 dead (much higher than the traditional figure of 2,500 dead).

Last edited:

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
God bless every one of the brave souls who courageously charged the shores, and for all the ones who have bravely served to protect our freedoms.

A lot of people truly don't realize how close Germany was to achieving success and changing life as we know it today. Establishing a foothold on the beaches was critical to have any hope to defeat the mighty German war machine.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
My wife's father. who I never knew, went in on a glider in the early morning hours before the actual landing. He was also with the 101st at Bastogne.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
A lot of people truly don't realize how close Germany was to achieving success and changing life as we know it today. Establishing a foothold on the beaches was critical to have any hope to defeat the mighty German war machine.
My high school history teacher had served as a platoon leader in A Co, 506th PIR.

He dropped on the night of 5/6 June 1944, landing near La Haye du Puit, around 30 km from his drop zone. A Second Lieutenant and 16 enlisted guys, with the German 91st Luftlandivision between where he landed and his intended objective. The pilots turned on the green light and the loadmaster said, "That's France. Get out."
Out of 821 transport aircraft, 805 made it to their drop zones and only 21 were lost, a loss rate of 2½%.
The 82nd and 101st Airborne Divisions suffered 25% losses that day.

IM4UA

1st Team
Aug 10, 2003
Alabaster, AL, US
This is certainly a very important day. My Grandfather was a young 19 year old with a sixth grade education who had never been more than about 25 miles away from the family farm in rural Lawrence County, Alabama. He was drafted into the Army in 1942 and trained in demolition at Ft. Dix, New Jersey. Following basic training, he was sent to Normandy, France in 1944. He was wounded at St. Lo, France and then spent 13 months in hospitals from France to England to Thomasville, Georgia trying to recover from his wounds....some of which were more emotional than physical. He NEVER talked about his experiences in the war until the 50th anniversary of the Normandy invasion in 1994 when it was like a dam breaking that ONE day and not again. He spent the rest of his life trying to scratch out a decent living for his family.

I can’t even imagine what that experience must have been like in days before TV and internet. All he knew before he was drafted was Church, family, cotton farming and fishing.

We are truly losing the greatest generation

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
My father was eight when the was ended, so he spent his early childhood with brothers, cousins, and uncles in the war (his father was born in 1899 and was a bit too old); they were his childhood heroes and remained so his whole life. My mother's father and several other relatives were in the war. Needless to say, I grew up with great respect and admiration for those veterans, which undoubtedly influenced my own decision to serve. They're growing fewer and more frail now, and part of us leaves with each one. God bless 'em all.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
How much weight were these guys carrying when they stormed the beaches? I think I'd prefer to just be carrying a weapon and wait for the rest of the supplies to be delivered later. I'd rather be able to sprint in the face of German machine gun fire.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I had the honor of receiving VIP passes to the D-Day memorial ceremony at the Normandy American Cemetery in Colleville-sur-Mer a year ago today - it was incredible.

I've met a lot of famous people over the course of my career, but I've only ever asked man one for an autograph: Alan McQuillan, No. 3210 Servicing Commando, RAF. He stayed at the same hotel we did and we got to know him fairly well over the course of those few days. As all these men are, he was truly humble about his role, despite his heroic efforts...

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
I had the honor of receiving VIP passes to the D-Day memorial ceremony at the Normandy American Cemetery in Colleville-sur-Mer a year ago today - it was incredible.

I've met a lot of famous people over the course of my career, but I've only ever asked man one for an autograph: Alan McQuillan, No. 3210 Servicing Commando, RAF. He stayed at the same hotel we did and we got to know him fairly well over the course of those few days. As all these men are, he was truly humble about his role, despite his heroic efforts...

I have expressed these same sentiments almost word for word many times. I was there for the 50th, and the hero I was privileged to meet was a Ranger, a surviving hero of Pointe du Hoc. It was one of the highlights of my life.
It is regretful for those of us of a certain age, that we couldn't truly understand and appreciate the selfless contributions of these men, when they were all around us.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
How much weight were these guys carrying when they stormed the beaches? I think I'd prefer to just be carrying a weapon and wait for the rest of the supplies to be delivered later. I'd rather be able to sprint in the face of German machine gun fire.
S. L. A. Marshall, the World War II historian wrote a small book called The Soldier's Load and the Mobility of a Nation. In it he argues that the first wave was way too loaded down. They probably should have been wearing chuck Taylor canvas hightops and carrying nothing but an M-1 carbine, an bandoleer of ammo and a few hand grenades.
Instead, soldiers hit the beaches carrying their wool winter overcoats and three day's rations.
The paratrooper's had to be bale to operate for a longer period before resupply was expected, but here is their packing list (82nd Airborne Division). This is from Cpl. Shaw of the 507th PIR:

Main and Reserve chute
helmet, wool knit cap
fatigue suit,
summer underwear
2 Pr. Socks
jump boots
rain coat
dog tags
pack
2 bars of soap
1 can of tooth powder
1 tooth brush
1 razor + 5 blades
1 towel
1 can of tobacco
4 packs of cigarettes
4 candy bars
6 D-Rations
3 K-Rations
Bible
1 picture
1 sheet of V-Mail
3 pencils
1 pen
1 carbine + case
9 clips of ammo...135 rnds of Ammo
1 pistol + holster
36 rnds of ammo
3 fragmentation grenades
2 white phosphorus grenades
1 orange smoke grenade
1 gammon grenade
1 parachutists knife
1 trench knife
1 hunting knife
1 shovel + case
1 pr. of wire cutters
1 compass + case
2 maps
1 pistol belt
1 pr. of suspenders
1 pr. of gloves horse hide
2 pings
1 watch
1 notebook
1 canteen
gun cleaning equipment
1 can of oil
emergency heat units
delousing powder
halezone tablets
sulphur diazine tablets
2 first aid kits
gas mask
BAL ointment
gas capes
M4 ointment

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yah, the paratroopers were so loaded down there were lots of broken (or otherwise injured) legs upon landing in the dark where they couldn't accurately judge their distance to the ground..

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Brian Williams had a good segment on DDay last night. Chronicled 4 veterans returning to Normandy. Williams said WWII veterans are passing away at the rate of 400 per day. As a young boy I can remember the county I lived in last remaining WWI vets. Sad.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Yah, the paratroopers were so loaded down there were lots of broken (or otherwise injured) legs upon landing in the dark where they couldn't accurately judge their distance to the ground..
Static line paratroopers are taught not to look down, because anticipating landing often causes the jumper to inadvertently "reach" for the ground, resulting in broken legs. Jumpers are taught to look at the horizon until they make contact with the ground.
The tough part of a night jump is the inability to see, and thus avoid, landing obstacles like trees, bodies of water and power lines.
That said, Cornelius Ryan reported a jumper being the last jumper in his stick, and landing on the beach (heading inland). All the other members of the stick landed in the ocean and could be heard screaming for help as they drowned. Another jumper reported that as he was getting out of his chute, he heard what sounded like pumpkins splattering around him. He went to investigate and found a jumper from another plane, whose plane had dropped the stick below 300 feet (which is the bare minimum altitude for a parachute to open) and the poor guy was writhing in agony and asking the healthy paratrooper to please shoot him to put him out of his misery.
Jumping at night is a bit more dangerous.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.