FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
"I do know that "African Studies" was once a real major @ UNC in CHapel Hill. Most of the athletes majored in "African Studies", much like "Sociology" @ the Barn.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I'm sorry, but this is just not "news." This type of thing has been going on all over the country for decades now, and anyone just now realizing it is either blatantly ignorant or alarmingly oblivious to what has been in front of their noses for ages.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
"I do know that "African Studies" was once a real major @ UNC in CHapel Hill. Most of the athletes majored in "African Studies", much like "Sociology" @ the Barn.
Every college with major sports programs -- and even many colleges who compete at lower levels -- has a department or a field of study where they stash all of their so-called "student-athletes" who either don't want to take real course work or otherwise who can't handle the academic demands of the same. I'm not going to name colleges and specific programs, but you've hit on a couple, and for the rest it's easy to find out. Just browse a football roster and see what far-flung field of study half the football team just happens (by sheer coincidence, I'm sure) to be majoring in.

Again, it's just not "news." This has been going on for decades and we've all, either expressly or tacitly, endorsed the system in place. So be it. Frankly, I see no reason to get up in arms over it.

rjtide

1st Team
Dec 15, 1999
AL
I'm sorry, but this is just not "news." This type of thing has been going on all over the country for decades now, and anyone just now realizing it is either blatantly ignorant or alarmingly oblivious to what has been in front of their noses for ages.
couldn't agree more. anyone who thinks the terms 'student-athlete' and 'academics at major d1' sports program schools are pristine terms have a very idealistic attitude about intercollegiate athletics. while i believe the majority of kids who are in college due to athletic scholarships do exactly what is required by going to classes, completing academic assignments, etc, i am certain there are many athletes who, like rashad mccants, were steered towards an academic major where they either had work done for them by tutors or the level of academic work required would not be considered being worthy of college level.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama

Next time I'll check with you on what's news
. Threads I post in the off season are almost always, invariably, an attempt to spark some interest, or "liven" up the board, irregardless of the subject, except for the constraints of the football board. Having said that I must concur, however it's a sad state of things. SMH

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
It's not news that this goes on. It is news, though, that it is being openly professed in the face of the NCAA. The interesting part will be seeing how the NCAA avoids it, if they're able to at all.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
The news isn't so much that there's academic misconduct an UNC--that's been known for some time. The interview does bring out two new bits of information--the extent of the academic shenanigans, and that Roy Williams was fully aware of it.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Next time I'll check with you on what's news
. Threads I post in the off season are almost always, invariably, an attempt to spark some interest, or "liven" up the board, irregardless of the subject, except for the constraints of the football board. Having said that I must concur, however it's a sad state of things. SMH
My comment wasn't directed at you, kyallie, and my apologies that you took it as such. Instead, my earlier post was referencing those in the sports media who like to hype all of these developments in an effort to drive ratings and page views.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
What! Basket weaving and chair stacking are not legitimate degree's? ;) We all know football is though! Pass that with flying colors and you will get the big bucks in the league! This McCants feller must not have made the grade to the league and now has to take it out on the University. Didn't read the article but seems about every 4 or 5 years a group of former Auburn players pull the same stunt. ;)

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
McCants just has sour grapes because he never panned out in the NBA like he thought he would. He was always a spoiled punk and nothing has changed, now he just wants to get his name back in the media and this is the ONLY way to do that. And as BET said this runs rampant all over college sports these days.

freefall

1st Team
Apr 30, 2009
Leesburg, VA
Every college with major sports programs -- and even many colleges who compete at lower levels -- has a department or a field of study where they stash all of their so-called "student-athletes" who either don't want to take real course work or otherwise who can't handle the academic demands of the same. [...] Frankly, I see no reason to get up in arms over it.
With all due respect I think there are a few notable things in the UNCheat case:

1. Plenty of schools have "rocks for jocks" classes but UNC took it to another level with total no-show classes.

2. Despite their initial claims that this was only a football issue, we now know that it included their supposedly pristine bball program as well, and that (among others) Roy Williams had direct knowledge of the fraud. This wasn't just rogue boosters doing something illicit without the involvement of the coaching and/or administrative staff. In this case it appears that the fraud was directed by those who were supposedly in charge.

3. Most importantly, the NCAA has done absolutely nothing to UNC, and continues to turn a blind eye to the situation. As I said in another thread awhile back, if having athlete-specific classes that don't require attendance or any real work doesn't constitute a violation of the rules, then what the hell good does it do to have rules in the first place?!

I don't disagree with your general point, but IMO there's a big difference between "we all know this goes on everywhere to some degree" and "it's out in the open and the NCAA is ignoring it". Something is very rotten in Chapel Hill and the NCAA is either playing favorites, profiteering, or both.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
"No, man, I majored in journalism. It was easier." - Joe Namath responding to a reporter, who asked him if he majored in basketweaving at Alabama

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
So, in sum, when it comes to being smart enough to pass basic college classes on merit, student athletes can be divided into two groups: the McCans and the McCants.

Thank you. I'll be here all week. Please tip the waitstaff generously.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
So, in sum, when it comes to being smart enough to pass any college classes on merit, student athletes can be divided into two groups: the McCans and the McCants.

Thank you. I'll be here all week. Please tip the waitstaff generously.

FIFY

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I have problems with all of it, but the "dean's list" part is fraud, because that can be used to secure a "real" job, and could be a determining factor for someone very qualified missing out on a once in a lifetime opportunity. That should bring with it civil/criminal punishment, IMO, even if the NCAA whistles past the graveyard on the rest.

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia
Every college with major sports programs -- and even many colleges who compete at lower levels -- has a department or a field of study where they stash all of their so-called "student-athletes" who either don't want to take real course work or otherwise who can't handle the academic demands of the same. I'm not going to name colleges and specific programs, but you've hit on a couple, and for the rest it's easy to find out. Just browse a football roster and see what far-flung field of study half the football team just happens (by sheer coincidence, I'm sure) to be majoring in.

Again, it's just not "news." This has been going on for decades and we've all, either expressly or tacitly, endorsed the system in place. So be it. Frankly, I see no reason to get up in arms over it.
Okay. Where do we "stash" ours then?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.