News Article: UNC's McCants: 'Just show up, play'

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
If what he says is true (and someone already pointed out he is a punk) I think this goes beyond the usual course of a few classes that are quite easy. Most colleges now have a basic core curriculum that everyone has to pass and athletes do not get to skip those.

Classes that you don't attend at all and get awarded grades that put you in the upper tier of the student body is news, especially at a school like UNC that goes to some lengths positioning itself as being a cut above many other state supported institutions. Adding to the mix an allegation that the coach of a powerhouse program knew what was going on does make this news, at least to me. The nzaa silence is deafening.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
With all due respect I think there are a few notable things in the UNCheat case:

1. Plenty of schools have "rocks for jocks" classes but UNC took it to another level with total no-show classes.

2. Despite their initial claims that this was only a football issue, we now know that it included their supposedly pristine bball program as well, and that (among others) Roy Williams had direct knowledge of the fraud. This wasn't just rogue boosters doing something illicit without the involvement of the coaching and/or administrative staff. In this case it appears that the fraud was directed by those who were supposedly in charge.

3. Most importantly, the NCAA has done absolutely nothing to UNC, and continues to turn a blind eye to the situation. As I said in another thread awhile back, if having athlete-specific classes that don't require attendance or any real work doesn't constitute a violation of the rules, then what the hell good does it do to have rules in the first place?!

I don't disagree with your general point, but IMO there's a big difference between "we all know this goes on everywhere to some degree" and "it's out in the open and the NCAA is ignoring it". Something is very rotten in Chapel Hill and the NCAA is either playing favorites, profiteering, or both.
A few counterpoints:

(1) I don't think there is anything particularly exceptional about the no-show courses. A large number of college courses -- and I'm talking "real" courses here, not just the jock curriculum -- either have no attendance requirement or, in the alternative, don't diligently take attendance and as such effectively render as moot whatever policy they have in place. Ask any person who has been in college in recent memory, and I guarantee you that each of them will tell you that, come final exam day, you see people in your classes that you've simply never seen in there before. Furthermore, final-paper-only courses are pretty common, too, especially in qualitative fields of study, which is where the jock majors are always found.

(2) Did Roy Williams know? Absolutely. They all know, and again anyone surprised by that simply hasn't been paying attention. The coaches know these kids as high school students, they knew their low GPAs in grade-inflated public education schools, they know their low standardized test scores (and, in many cases, the multiple number of times and the number of tutors they had to utilize they had to re-take those tests just to get through the Clearinghouse), they know that they wouldn't have the first chance at academic admission were it not for their athletic prowess, they know that they are in gimme courses taking the minimum number of hours to remain eligible, etc. So Roy Williams knew, so what? Again, that's just not news to anyone who has ever paid attention.

(3) The NCAA did nothing, has done done nothing, and, in fact, can do nothing under their current rule scheme. The NCAA by-laws are exceptionally clear on this point: A class can be the biggest joke imaginable, and it can be used in practice to keep countless athletes eligible, but as long as the course is merely open to all students, then there is no violation. That has been expressly condoned behavior in their purview for many years now.

Again, it has always been the case. The players have always known it, the coaches have always known it, the NCAA has always known it, the fans (at least those paying attention) have always known it, and all of those groups have consented to the prevailing "student-athlete" regime. So what is really special about the UNC case? I'd argue nothing.

Last edited:

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
This is news in that it went on at UNC (more on that later) and was so rampant/widespread and that it wasn't just easy classes and easy majors, it was classes where little to no course work was required and often attendance was not required, and much of the course work that was required was done by others. To say this level of academic fraud on this widespread of a level goes on at all schools is simply inaccurate.

As for UNC, living in SC and working some in NC, there are few fans and alumni more self-righteous about their school than Tarheel fans. To here them talk they are the epitome of all that is right and good in the world of college athletics and they believe that academically Yale and Harvard aspire to be the UNC of the North. When you discuss UNC academics, if you are not mentioning them in the same sentence with Ivy League schools then you are insulting them. And they have always taken a, "We are above that" approach to discussing NCAA rules violations. If you doubt a USC grad, go talk to any NCSU or clemson grad about this subject.

Around here UNC has always been viewed as an NCAA "untouchable", and that was before all this mess came to light. Now the NCAA has just affirmed what most of us suspected.

At least in the Carolinas, this is what makes this such big news.

Last edited:

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
I do have to add something here. Some of the "jocks" actually do take tough classes. I remember watching a BAMA game a few years back, and one of the kids was awarded a "scholar athlete" award. I cannot remeber who it was, but I do remember the announcer making the remark that he was an Engineering major, and that was a big deal :). I tend to agree.
ANother example that I can recall: We missed out on a QB one time, becuase Duk
e offered the kid a scholorship. I read in a readers digest that his reason for choosing Duke was simple. He said that he could take a red-shirt, and be into Medical school before his athleteic scholorship ran out. He really wanted to be a Doctor. It does happen sometimes.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
It is sort of ironic though that the Big 5 is requesting that post-graduation tuition assistance be offered to student-athletes as part of their vision for expanding benefits to college athletics. But against this backdrop, all that really says is we enrolled you in a fictional major to keep you eligible. Once your eligibility runs out and its obvious you are going to the pros come on back and we will help you get a real education so you can make a living... I guess that is better than the alternative though which is what we have now.

major tidefan

All-American
Jul 3, 2006
Boaz,AL
McCants just has sour grapes because he never panned out in the NBA like he thought he would. He was always a spoiled punk and nothing has changed, now he just wants to get his name back in the media and this is the ONLY way to do that. And as BET said this runs rampant all over college sports these days.
McCants and his dad have blamed Roy Williams for McCants' NBA failures for years.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I think the big thing with this story is that UNC has always placed itself at the pinnacle of academic elite along with Duke, Stanford, Vanderbilt and others. The "we would never do anything to compromise our academic integrity to succeed in athletics" attitude.

As someone said recently "When you put yourself out there as the "front porch" of academic integrity, you better be sure that you are sweeping it frequently."

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
It goes on at every school, including Bama I'm sure, and it goes on at the supposed "Academic Schools" like Vandy, Stanford & other type schools like that..It's the part of the NCAA folks wishes didn't happen, but, it has to be for the "Cash Cow" schools & "Academic Schools" such as Stanford..And if they don't think it doesn't happen at Stanford..I'll sell them my ocean front property here in Anniston, Alabama at a very reasonable rate..LOL

And thank you kyallie for the article & all your other articles you post..It's what I look forward to the most when I log onto TideFans & saves so much time not having to look them all up myself..Yes I'm lazy & not ashamed to admit it..LOL

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
And the comments from UNC Fans is sickening in their denials of wrong doing..One comment was interesting & I wondered as well as I was reading the article..what did the white athlete's take & am sure they all didn't major in black history..What "Gimme" classes do the white players take cause you know they didn't show up for classes either..

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
It goes on at every school, including Bama I'm sure, and it goes on at the supposed "Academic Schools" like Vandy, Stanford & other type schools like that..It's the part of the NCAA folks wishes didn't happen, but, it has to be for the "Cash Cow" schools & "Academic Schools" such as Stanford..And if they don't think it doesn't happen at Stanford..I'll sell them my ocean front property here in Anniston, Alabama at a very reasonable rate..LOL

And thank you kyallie for the article & all your other articles you post..It's what I look forward to the most when I log onto TideFans & saves so much time not having to look them all up myself..Yes I'm lazy & not ashamed to admit it..LOL
You are exactly right it happens even at these "academic schools" like Vandy. It isn't just athletes anymore either. There are all kind of kids getting things in college now days that I wouldn't have imagined until this week when I started taking summer school classes. It makes me all kind of mad. I did think when I was watching McCants come clean that he didn't seem to mind all this preferential treatment when he was in school.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yup..I'd been more impressed had he turned UNC in while in school & he was getting a free ride all the free help..I guess he finally grew a conscious after the fact..LOL
You are exactly right it happens even at these "academic schools" like Vandy. It isn't just athletes anymore either. There are all kind of kids getting things in college now days that I wouldn't have imagined until this week when I started taking summer school classes. It makes me all kind of mad. I did think when I was watching McCants come clean that he didn't seem to mind all this preferential treatment when he was in school.

freefall

1st Team
Apr 30, 2009
Leesburg, VA
I think the big thing with this story is that UNC has always placed itself at the pinnacle of academic elite along with Duke, Stanford, Vanderbilt and others. The "we would never do anything to compromise our academic integrity to succeed in athletics" attitude.
Indeed. Back in 2003 when the ACC was considering Miami, Syracuse, Boston College, and Virginia Tech for expansion, Sue Estroff (faculty council executive committee chair at UNC) said this:

"Our faculty are very concerned about the reputation of Virginia Tech's players and Virginia Tech's team. We are not accustomed to that kind of behavior. You have to remember, (North Carolina Chancellor James) Moeser tried to hire their coach and one of the arguments against him was the record of his players. Part of our concern all along has been the way that sports and athletes fit into the university. There is very little tolerance on our campus for misdeeds and misbehavior by athletes. I'm not saying we're any better, but I do know what happens around here when somebody gets into trouble."

There's no denying that VT has had its share of issues over the years, but it would appear that we're in very good company, especially considering that academic fraud to keep athletes eligible was ongoing at UNC when Estroff made those comments. Pot, kettle, and all that.

Not that I'm bitter or anything... :smile:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.