Question: 1971 Alabama vs USC rematch

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I remember we had a JV team that lasted until sometime in the late 1970s. I guess with scholarship limits, there was no way to keep it going. I suppose the JV team was leftover from the freshman ineligible days.

oldtimetider

1st Team
Nov 16, 2008
Oh yes...Robin Parkhouse...Seems like his picture was at the top of a Bama calendar that hung on my wall that year...
Was Wilbur Jackson in that backfield?

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Oh yes...Robin Parkhouse...Seems like his picture was at the top of a Bama calendar that hung on my wall that year...
He played some but I don't think Wilbur started until the next year, '72.
'71 backfield backfield I believe was: Johnny Musso, Steve Bisceglia, Joe LaBue and Terry Davis, QB

Last edited:

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
Yes

In my post that was deleted as a political manifesto I acknowledged that Wilbur was the sitting in the stands in 1970 as a freshman scholarship player. He played in 1971, but do not think he played much, if it all, at USC

Last edited:

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I watched the " Against The Tide " documentary the other day. As we all know the historical backdrop and significance of the 1970 game was to change Southern football forever. USC went on to defeat Alabama 42-21.

But my question is how did Alabama's defense managed to hold USC to only 10 points in Los Angeles in the rematch??
Did the newly installed wishbone keep the Trojan offense on the sidelines?
Did our young defense grow up?

Sam Cunningham was a returning sophomore.

Old timers please shed some light...
I appreciate this thread. I thought it would contain some good information when I read your opening post yesterday. I was looking forward to all the responses. I was always amazed at the secrecy of Alabama keeping the change from the pro set to the wishbone.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I appreciate this thread. I thought it would contain some good information when I read your opening post yesterday. I was looking forward to all the responses. I was always amazed at the secrecy of Alabama keeping the change from the pro set to the wishbone.
Could never happen today. The press then could actually keep a secret (foreign concept, I know), and the wildest imagination of the biggest Flash Gordon fan couldn't have imagined the internet.

Different day and time. Some advantages, some disadvantages. But different for sure.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
So what is the difference between the wishbone and the single wing??? If I recall (by reading about it) Texas was the first team to use the wishbone and win an nc with it. Also why couldn't freshmen play right away back then???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Could never happen today. The press then could actually keep a secret (foreign concept, I know), and the wildest imagination of the biggest Flash Gordon fan couldn't have imagined the internet.

Different day and time. Some advantages, some disadvantages. But different for sure.
I think you're likely correct, but I wonder if CNS wouldn't be able to pull of something similar now - go on a rant about something someone in the press said or did (real or not) and decide to close all practices.

Again, you're probably right, but someone like CNS at a school like Bama might actually be able to pull it off today.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
So what is the difference between the wishbone and the single wing??? If I recall (by reading about it) Texas was the first team to use the wishbone and win an nc with it. Also why couldn't freshmen play right away back then???

The wishbone is a modified version of the old Split T formation. The single wing is a version of the Notre Dame Box developed by Knute Rockne. There really is no similarity between the wishbone and the single wing. Emory Bellard was the founder, developer of the wishbone while a high school coach in Texas. He was hired by Darrell Royal the HC at Texas who won the 1969 NC using that formation. Coach Bryant met with Royal after not so good seasons in 1969 and 1970 and switched from a proset to the wishbone. The rest, as they say, is history.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
The wishbone is a modified version of the old Split T formation. The single wing is a version of the Notre Dame Box developed by Knute Rockne. There really is no similarity between the wishbone and the single wing. Emory Bellard was the founder, developer of the wishbone while a high school coach in Texas. He was hired by Darrell Royal the HC at Texas who won the 1969 NC using that formation. Coach Bryant met with Royal after not so good seasons in 1969 and 1970 and switched from a proset to the wishbone. The rest, as they say, is history.
For sure. Well 1969 Texas was also the last all-white team to win a NC. It's easy to confuse the tripe option, wishbone, and the single wing sometimes at least for me it is.

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
For sure. Well 1969 Texas was also the last all-white team to win a NC. It's easy to confuse the tripe option, wishbone, and the single wing sometimes at least for me it is.

Texas was great at the Tripe Option. :smile:

wishbonedays

1st Team
Mar 30, 2003
Hanceville, AL, USA
www.wfl1974.com
I was 9 years old and I remember staying up late to listen to it on the radio...I think it was something like a 7:00 or 7:30 kickoff, but of course that was 9 or 9:30 central time...my dad kept looking at me and grinning, saying "If they keep this up they may very well beat Southern Cal". It was a magical night.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.