Horse Racing

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
If you aren't old enough to have seen Secretariat run, you missed something.

That aside, a lot of these horses are juiced. And three year olds are really too young.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
If you aren't old enough to have seen Secretariat run, you missed something.

That aside, a lot of these horses are juiced. And three year olds are really too young.
I can never get enough of the '73 Belmont. I've seen it maybe 100 times, and every time I watch it again, I'm still awestruck. A truly magnificent animal.

Mob-Bama

2nd Team
Dec 14, 2001
Mobile, AL USA
I like to watch the horse races because horses are so beautiful. I'm only sorry I only get to watch it 3 times a year. I just don't believe the "whipping" is painful--it couldn't possibly be--I think it is only a way to guide and lead the horse and let him know what you want him to do. I also believe they love to race....I wanted Cal Chrome to win only because I think it would be good for the "sport". And, I don't believe the rules should be changed at this point in time like the owner(s) of Cal Chrome want. That is just plain silly. The races are too historical. (Other horses have done it--why couldn't his?)

Mob-Bama

2nd Team
Dec 14, 2001
Mobile, AL USA
Thank you, thank you, thank you Pachaderma!! I too can never get enough of that race and that horse!! I've tried to research if he still has any descendants left to race & I still don't know. By the way, I do love horse racing but I don't have a clue how to bet and don't really want to. I've also never been to a race but it is on my bucket list!!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Funny, aside from the internet chatter, I've never heard of 'California Chrome'. And I'm fine with that - I literally have zero understanding as to why people care about animal racing. It completely baffles me.
I agree and would add auto racing and boxing, two very dangerous (I guess they are called sports).

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Hunting will only be considered a sport when the animals have weapons and can hunt us as well.

Lewis Grizzard

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Thank you, thank you, thank you Pachaderma!! I too can never get enough of that race and that horse!! I've tried to research if he still has any descendants left to race & I still don't know. By the way, I do love horse racing but I don't have a clue how to bet and don't really want to. I've also never been to a race but it is on my bucket list!!
Officially siring 653 foals (57 of whom were stakes winners), Secretariat has thousands of descendants. He was particularly successful as a broodmare sire. In other words, his daughters bore many successful foals. Secretariat's blood still runs in many racers, studs and broodmares.

As to his success as a broodmare sire, it is known from his autopsy that his heart was physically 2.5 times the size of a typical racehorse's heart, enabling extremely efficient oxygen transport. It is also known that this trait is carried on the X chromosome of the horse.

Consequently, his sons, only inheriting his Y contribution, didn't inherit his cardiovascular advantage (though they may still have been lucky enough to inherit the gene from their dams). His daughters on the other hand, often did inherit his big heart, and were able to pass it on to their offspring as well. So if you're looking for a horse in Secretariat's lineage that has increased likelihood for his talent, you'll have better luck looking through the bloodlines of his daughters, and their daughters, etc.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Secretariat had a heart that was almost 3 times normal size, which is a condition that's hereditary that he probably got from a horse named Eclipse from which he was descended. Eclipse was a great horse from the 1700s. Secretariat still has some horses in his bloodline that are still around but he wasn't known as a great stallion.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I saw a clip of a bullfight, in which the matador started to get beaten by the bull and about a dozen guys run in to rescue him. In a philosophic sense, I don't object to bullfighting (different cultures and all that), but unless the bull can get a dozen bulls to run in to his rescue, then the matador should be left to die if the bull gets the upper hand. Just my opinion.
They also don't show the bull getting slashed a lot. The bull "fighter" essentially dances around until the bull is too tired or near death before any meaningful combat takes place. As you mention, they have other matadors and clowns to taunt the bull if one gets in trouble. Not much sport in it, just a cruel, slow, agonizing death for the animal.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Just watched Belmont, and I've long been confused about this. How does NBC, the most politically correct of the PC mob, justify broadcasting an event where animals are beaten with whips for a mile and a half? On the replay, I counted 23 sharp whips the jockey gave California Chrome after the home stretch, and the poor bastage still lost.

Where's PETA and all the other aggrieved groups?

Costas is calling for a re-naming of a football team, in which no one really cares save for elitist, white liberals, yet proudly announces an event where horses have the hell beaten out of them?

Need some enlightenment, please.
Those whips aren't that bad. Most would gladly put up with that to retire at 3 and spend the rest of your life at stud.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Well, cockfighting is pretty bad. And the stuff Michael Vick was doing.
How much you know about cockfighting and rosters in general? I have been to a few cockfights with my cousin who fights them regularly. You can't train or teach a roster to fight, they fight from instinct and if left on the yard loose they would kill each other or run the others off till the king .... was the only one left.

Some of his rosters are over a decade old and get regularly wormed, shots, took as good care of as most peoples pet dogs and cats. After they get so old and have shown their skill and gameness over several fights they get retired to the brood pens to keep the desired bloodline going. The sport of cockfighting goes way back probably even further than horse racing, even our founding fathers of this country enjoyed cockfighting.

Personally I did not find it that exciting and I am not a gambler so it was just a viewing event for me, not something that I care much about going to see again, but wouldn't have any problem if I did decide to go back. Just got better things to do with my time but for those who love it, they are as passionate about the sport as anyone is about any sport you compete in.

The life of a gamecock compared to a KFC or Tyson Farms chicken is no comparison. KFC chickens lifespan is 6 to 7 weeks. Most game roosters will not be fought until they are around 2-3 years old, and you have to seperate them off the yard around a year old when they start fighting each other on their own.

It is certainly not dog fighting in any sense. ;)

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.