Link: Gus Malzahn's Massive New Buyout Shows Auburn Hasn't Learned From Its Past

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
We'll see how good Gus is when people figure out how to effectively stop his offense. FSU did a pretty good job of it in the BCSCG, given another year I suspect many SEC defenses will handle it better. What does Gus do when his version of the triple option is shut down? We'll see.

There's a reason the pro-set sticks around while these 'new' offenses come along then fade away...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We'll see how good Gus is when people figure out how to effectively stop his offense. FSU did a pretty good job of it in the BCSCG, given another year I suspect many SEC defenses will handle it better. What does Gus do when his version of the triple option is shut down? We'll see.

There's a reason the pro-set sticks around while these 'new' offenses come along then fade away...
If Gus continues to run the same offense, I expect it to fade. However, his QB recruiting suggests a change. He's signed two straight pro-style QBs with a third committed. The offense would have some serious potential if he has a passing QB with some mobility (ala Winston). If he can't develop a passing QB and has to stay with a running QB, he'll be in trouble.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
If Gus continues to run the same offense, I expect it to fade. However, his QB recruiting suggests a change. He's signed two straight pro-style QBs with a third committed. The offense would have some serious potential if he has a passing QB with some mobility (ala Winston). If he can't develop a passing QB and has to stay with a running QB, he'll be in trouble.
I agree. Gus had an enormously successful season despite playing a DB as a quarterback. When he gets as real QB, he could do some serious damage. Thankfully recruiting defense will always be an afterthought to Gus. He revels in offense and probably regards defense as a bore.

I'm hoping other teams figure out Gus's offense as well. One misconception a lot of folks have about Gus's offense is that it is a prolific scoring offense. It isn't particularly prolific. They rack up a ton of yards, but often the scoreboard doesn't reflect that. Like scoring 24 against LSU and 20+ vs Oregon in 2010. And last season they only scored 28 against Bama (the last TD of which came on a busted play), which was nothing compared to what OU and TA&M did to us, and 27 against FSU. They rushed for 200+ in both games. They should've had more to show for it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This is a good breakdown by SB Nation of Chad Morris and Clemson's offense, which is similar to Gus'. Link

The part of the offense that worries me is this:

When a smashmouth spread offense is running plays at breakneck speed, motioning blockers all over the field, and utilizing the option, it becomes easy for it to outnumber and outflank the defense, which leads to big plays.

The defense has three recourses: an aggressive quarters coverage that can get nine defenders involved in the run game quickly, an eight-man front with a great tackler at deep safety, or some kind of blitz. This is when the deep bomb comes into play.

Although he caught several crucial passes in Texas' 1969 and 1970 victories that secured consecutive national championships, wide receiver Cotton Speyrer is often an overlooked cog from the first wishbone offense. If you wanted to get your safeties to the line of scrimmage and prevent being out-leveraged by the option, you had to leave someone 1-on-1 with Cotton, and that could mean a quick score for the Longhorns at any point.

The nature of the smashmouth spread can make it fairly easy to spring people deep. Morris will run double moves off fake screens and utilize play-action early and often to see if he can sneak someone downfield for a cheap and easy score.

He also uses vertical concepts like under and four verticals to see if a particular receiver can win a matchup deep, with the QB having a quick checkdown or scramble option available if nothing works out.

As devastating as the option can be, defensive coordinators really start to panic if the offense can run it while simultaneously running a wide receiver deep who cannot be single-teamed. That's the final piece that can make any offense unstoppable.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This is a good breakdown by SB Nation of Chad Morris and Clemson's offense, which is similar to Gus'. Link

The part of the offense that worries me is this:
That's really true about any offense. We do the same thing as far as trying to establish the running game to make safeties come up in the box and then you have some one on one matchups on the outside. Not saying you do, but it seems like a lot of people act like Gus's offense is something never seen before. What makes Gus offense so good is the simplicity and efficiency. It's a relatively low risk offense and it's very easy for Gus to get the most out of his players by keeping it simple. So how do you stop it? If it was me I would bring at least 8 in the box on every play. I was screaming for Saban to do this during the IronBowl. Make Marshall beat you throwing the ball. We kept our safeties deep almost the whole game and they shredded us on the ground. I do agree with the article you posted about if Gus actually gets a QB who can make all the throws then it becomes a lot harder to stop. I think it just comes down to not letting a team play to their strengths. Make Marshall beat you throwing the ball from the pocket. If he does that then tip your hat.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I do agree with the article you posted about if Gus actually gets a QB who can make all the throws then it becomes a lot harder to stop. I think it just comes down to not letting a team play to their strengths. Make Marshall beat you throwing the ball from the pocket. If he does that then tip your hat.
I'm thinking in general terms, not specifically with Marshall.

As I said earlier, Gus has signed two straight QBs classified as pro-style and has another committed. Jeremy Johnson can throw the ball really well and doesn't really like to run. Since he's black, many probably want to say he's dual-threat, but he's not. Sean White is another pro style guy, and Tyler Queen is currently committed to Auburn and doesn't run like Marshall/Newton.

Auburn has some solid WRs, so a QB that can throw the ball well (supposedly Marshall has improved in the area) will give the offense the opportunity to explode.

Florida under Meyer did well because of guys like Harvin, Cooper, and Hernandez. Tebow's mechanics are very flawed, but he was able to pass well enough to keep the defense honest. Oregon does the same against everyone but Stanford and when it's faced LSU and Auburn.

Against a QB that doesn't throw well, stacking the box is key. Against a good throwing QB, a team needs solid DB play along with fast DL.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I would love to assume that Malzahn will be another Terry Bowden or Gene Chizik, but frankly I don't expect it. Much more likely scenario is that he does well at Auburn and they are a consistent contender on the Plains.

I'd rather that not be the case, but obviously my personal desire doesn't have any impact on the subject. It is what it is, and frankly I'm not concerned by it either way. The past few years have made it more than apparent that our respective successes aren't intertwined in any fundamental way, so I'll choose to focus on ourselves. Provided we keep running at full-song, anything that happens down there isn't of great importance.

Last edited:

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
As I said earlier, Gus has signed two straight QBs classified as pro-style and has another committed. Jeremy Johnson can throw the ball really well and doesn't really like to run. Since he's black, many probably want to say he's dual-threat, but he's not. Sean White is another pro style guy, and Tyler Queen is currently committed to Auburn and doesn't run like Marshall/Newton.

Auburn has some solid WRs, so a QB that can throw the ball well (supposedly Marshall has improved in the area) will give the offense the opportunity to explode.
I think you are on the right track here. To say that Malzahn intends to run long-term the offense he ran last year with Marshall at QB is pretty directly undercut by the personnel decisions he has made on the recruiting trail. Based upon that, I think you must instead conclude that he intends to throw the football a lot more than he did a year ago.

Not saying misdirection and a run threat at the QB position won't be a mainstay of his offense moving forward, because I'm sure it will to an extent, but I do think you are likely going to see a much more balanced attack in a couple of years, and one that throws a bit more from the pocket.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I agree. Gus had an enormously successful season despite playing a DB as a quarterback. When he gets as real QB, he could do some serious damage. Thankfully recruiting defense will always be an afterthought to Gus. He revels in offense and probably regards defense as a bore.

I'm hoping other teams figure out Gus's offense as well. One misconception a lot of folks have about Gus's offense is that it is a prolific scoring offense. It isn't particularly prolific. They rack up a ton of yards, but often the scoreboard doesn't reflect that. Like scoring 24 against LSU and 20+ vs Oregon in 2010. And last season they only scored 28 against Bama (the last TD of which came on a busted play), which was nothing compared to what OU and TA&M did to us, and 27 against FSU. They rushed for 200+ in both games. They should've had more to show for it.
Yup Gus learned that the hard way about defense against FSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I would love to assume that Malzahn will be another Terry Bowden or Gene Chizik, but frankly I don't expect it. Much more likely scenario is that he does well at Auburn and they are a consistent contender on the Plains.

I'd rather that not be the case, but obviously my personal desire doesn't have any impact on the subject. It is what it is, and frankly I'm not concerned by it either way. The past few years have made it more than apparent that our respective successes aren't intertwined in any fundamental way, so I'll choose to focus on ourselves. Provided we keep running at full-song, anything that happens down there isn't of great importance.

Moo

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
It bears mentioning that Auburn's defense has performed better than expected vs. Bama and in the BCSNCG during their last two SEC Championship runs. We scored a combined 10 points in the second half of those games while yielding a combined 35 (42 counting special teams points). In the national championship games, they faced the most prolific offense in the nation...twice, yielding a combined 47. That's not terrible. There are aberrations, like 2010 Arkansas and 2013 Missouri, but generally their defense comes through when their O doesn't score big.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
It bears mentioning that Auburn's defense has performed better than expected vs. Bama and in the BCSNCG during their last two SEC Championship runs. We scored a combined 10 points in the second half of those games while yielding a combined 35 (42 counting special teams points). In the national championship games, they faced the most prolific offense in the nation...twice, yielding a combined 47. That's not terrible. There are aberrations, like 2010 Arkansas and 2013 Missouri, but generally their defense comes through when their O doesn't score big.
No, no, no...you haven't learned the appropriate head-in-the-sand narrative. That was all playcalling on our end. Had nothing to do with their defense. It was all Nuss' fault. Certainly not Saban's.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Auburn's success last year was based on one dominant thing: superior offensive line play.

Any team that dominates the LOS will be near the top of the heap.

Gus will always need a good running or passing qb and when he gets one who is both (Cam Newton) they'll be good, but again, last year was all about the OL.

Do you remember who was the talk of the town in 2012? Good qb, better running backs, but A DOMINANT OL!

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.