News Article: Louisville WR AND Kentucky DE busted for pot possession

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
There's a certain culture that some of these kids follow and in many cases they never get out.

I hate seeing these stories.

Makes me shake my head as well.....:rolleyes:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I don't smoke pot, nor do I endorse it, but, it needs to be legalized Nationally & stop messing up goods folks lives when they get arrested for it..It's obvious folks aren't going to quit smoking or baking it into foods, so legalize it, and take the taboo part of pot away from it & that alone will stop a lot of new user from even trying it..That's the main reason I even tried it when I was younger, cause it is illegal, and it made me feel like I was doing something really bad & against the law..I didn't actually like the affect it had on me..I never understood why it's as popular as it is now..I honestly think it being illegal & is taboo adds to its popularity..Legalize it & remove the taboo of it..JMHO

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I don't smoke pot, nor do I endorse it, but, it needs to be legalized Nationally & stop messing up goods folks lives when they get arrested for it..It's obvious folks aren't going to quit smoking or baking it into foods, so legalize it, and take the taboo part of pot away from it & that alone will stop a lot of new user from even trying it..That's the main reason I even tried it when I was younger, cause it is illegal, and it made me feel like I was doing something really bad & against the law..I didn't actually like the affect it had on me..I never understood why it's as popular as it is now..I honestly think it being illegal & is taboo adds to its popularity..Legalize it & remove the taboo of it..JMHO
To understand why it remains illegal, examine how much money the criminal justice system makes off of this, from the fines, court costs, and the confiscation of private property used in the commission of a crime. The criminal justice system is addicted to the drug money.
On the good side, the two schools are fairly bitter rivals, and these two (one from each team) have found something to do together.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Agree mostly. I've always found its effects on the mind to be...neglible. Mild, I would say. I've never understood is why some people think it's the greatest thing ever. But spending time around those who smoke, I've never seen them act outside the ordinary. The worst thing it can do is make a person lazy...it really just makes people contented easier. If we're talking about the welfare of those who smoke or those who might be attracted to smoking, making it illegal was the worst thing that could've happened.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Agree mostly. I've always found its effects on the mind to be...neglible. Mild, I would say. I've never understood is why some people think it's the greatest thing ever. But spending time around those who smoke, I've never seen them act outside the ordinary. The worst thing it can do is make a person lazy...it really just makes people contented easier. If we're talking about the welfare of those who smoke or those who might be attracted to smoking, making it illegal was the worst thing that could've happened.
While not the case for everyone, marijuana ' reputation as the gateway drug is well earned. I know plenty of folks who have been to rehab for meth and such. When I asked them how they got mixed up in this sort of thing. Virtually all of them said it was a case of boredom that started with marijuana then that wasn't exciting enough after a while which led to experiments with other stuff.

So many on here say it's petty but how many of you in reality would condone your teenage child using it? I bet not very many...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I pretty much agree with ya..I'd much much rather had be around a person smoking pot than I had a person that's drinking..Most folks can't hold their liquor good at all & wants to fight the more they drink..And the more folks smokes pot, they cough a lot & laugh at the stupidest stuff..LOL

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
To understand why it remains illegal, examine how much money the criminal justice system makes off of this, from the fines, court costs, and the confiscation of private property used in the commission of a crime. The criminal justice system is addicted to the drug money.
On the good side, the two schools are fairly bitter rivals, and these two (one from each team) have found something to do together.
It seems to me that Denver will be an interesting case study for other cities to follow. Crime rates have fallen 10%, and Tax Revenues have increased exponentially. Further more, recreational legalization in only two states have already begun to hurt Mexico's drug cartels pocketbooks. I think it's time to end the Marijuana Prohibition, and begin taking an objective approach to 'drug-war'.

As for the KIDS getting busted for pot. Community service and a slap on the wrist and get your butt back in the weight room.. Nothing to see here.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Not that I have a dog in the hunt, but: I run drug testing.

Over the last ten years of doing that, 95% of the positive drug tests I've turned out for THC have ALSO been positive for AT LEAST one other drug, and usually two or more. RARE is the person who actually smokes just marijuana. I don't have enough firsthand knowledge to say whether or not grass is the door to the others - I'm just telling you that the folks using it almost invariably are using something else according to the science of drug testing.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
While not the case for everyone, marijuana ' reputation as the gateway drug is well earned. I know plenty of folks who have been to rehab for meth and such. When I asked them how they got mixed up in this sort of thing. Virtually all of them said it was a case of boredom that started with marijuana then that wasn't exciting enough after a while which led to experiments with other stuff.

So many on here say it's petty but how many of you in reality would condone your teenage child using it? I bet not very many...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
1) It sounds like the people you've described would've gotten into drugs anyway. "Marijuana's not enough, I want more." Sounds like they just have an addictive personality. And just because pot is a stepping stone to other drugs, doesn't mean they wouldn't have made that leap without it.

2) Making pot illegal means people who smoke are forced to deal with a nasty crowd, including dealers, who will at some point offer them other drugs. Whoever is providing the user with pot is gonna offer something else at some point. If pot was legal, a lot of kids who smoke wouldn't be associating with this crowd in the first place.

Bottom line, I'm not convinced that if pot was legal the use of other recreational drugs would increase.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA

I don't believe there is such a thing as a "gateway drug". Some people have mental, physical or genetic, (who knows), traits that lead to addictions. They're going to find something to be addicted to no matter what.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Not that I have a dog in the hunt, but: I run drug testing.

Over the last ten years of doing that, 95% of the positive drug tests I've turned out for THC have ALSO been positive for AT LEAST one other drug, and usually two or more. RARE is the person who actually smokes just marijuana. I don't have enough firsthand knowledge to say whether or not grass is the door to the others - I'm just telling you that the folks using it almost invariably are using something else according to the science of drug testing.
I'm 60 years old and haven't "done" drugs of any kind other than a rare Jack & Coke since I graduated from college. Other than a couple of short term prescriptions for antibiotics I've never used a prescription drug. However, I know lots of people, family members included, that would light up a drug test on prescription medications alone.

I will backtrack a little, one of my sisters gave me one of her prescribed drugs a few years ago. I think it was a muscle relaxer or for pain, I can't remember, but the thing basically knocked me for a loop for two days yet she takes them daily.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
1) It sounds like the people you've described would've gotten into drugs anyway. "Marijuana's not enough, I want more." Sounds like they just have an addictive personality. And just because pot is a stepping stone to other drugs, doesn't mean they wouldn't have made that leap without it.

2) Making pot illegal means people who smoke are forced to deal with a nasty crowd, including dealers, who will at some point offer them other drugs. Whoever is providing the user with pot is gonna offer something else at some point. If pot was legal, a lot of kids who smoke wouldn't be associating with this crowd in the first place.

Bottom line, I'm not convinced that if pot was legal the use of other recreational drugs would increase.
Re: #2 The idea of anything being a "gateway drug" is not a legitimate reason to criminalize it because the very act of criminalization categorizes it with all the more serious offenses, both with the assumption of risk and the exposure to a more unsavory crowd. The reasoning is circular.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Re: #2 The idea of anything being a "gateway drug" is not a legitimate reason to criminalize it because the very act of criminalization categorizes it with all the more serious offenses, both with the assumption of risk and the exposure to a more unsavory crowd. The reasoning is circular.
I can't agree more with marajuana. Alchahol was the gateway to my most troubled times and yes I have used both in the far past to get high or get drunk.

I told my grandson the most dangerous drug I had ever tried in my life was alcohol.

To try and tie this in with football, no one under 21 should drink, and I think many players do on occasion. By the time they feel the effects they have probably consumed too much and are on the way to being drunk. Drunks do the stupidest most dangerous things. I know that from experience.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.