News Article: Jimbo Fisher: Jacob Coker is Most Talented QB in Saban's Time at UA

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Re: Jimbo Fisher: Jacob Joker is Most Talented QB in Saban's Time at UA

My expectation is that Coker will make some plays that our previous QBs couldn't make. On the other hand he'll have a lot more turnovers than we're used to.

So we'll have to be patient and hope big TOs don't cost us games.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

The expectations are certainly mounting for Coker. Nonetheless, I have a feeling he will be successful at Bama. He only needs to game manage his first year and employ the weapons he has around him. If the OL can be strong that will go a long way to help. By his second and final year he may be the game changing QB so many are expecting from the start.

Regardless of who our QB is; if our offensive line doesn't improve over last year it probably won't matter.
The key, IMHO, is in bold in GrayTide`s post. If we can find a couple of guys that can play to the left of Ryan Kelly, we`ll be just fine on O most likely. If we can`t...... JC`s potential talent may not matter very much.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country

My expectation is that Coker will make some plays that our previous QBs couldn't make. On the other hand he'll have a lot more turnovers than we're used to.

So we'll have to be patient and hope big TOs don't cost us games.
I have not followed his career very close, but has he played enough to make an assessment about turnovers? I will temper my expectations about a backup ACC QB until he proves himself.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com

There is one factor and one factor alone that has meaning for us at the quarterback position and that's what he can do on 3rd down. He's not going to have perfect protection, no Quarterback ever does. it's what he can do in those situations that will the difference between a national title and a 3 or 4 loss season.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

i don't know this kid from adam, and i'm not suggesting he has problems, but it's a bit hard for me to take jimbo's assessment of someone's character too seriously.
I think Jimbo is completely capable of assessing character. I just don't think he cares.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

I have not followed his career very close, but has he played enough to make an assessment about turnovers? I will temper my expectations about a backup ACC QB until he proves himself.
I'm just going by his video with all his throws. He will have more INTs than we're used to.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

You let a third string tight end get arrested and he will show you how much he cares; starting qb not so much
You know the bit though... make excuses for those you need, and make examples out of those you don't. In fairness, Jimbo is by no means the only one guilty of it.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA

You know the bit though... make excuses for those you need, and make examples out of those you don't. In fairness, Jimbo is by no means the only one guilty of it.
diddy bowden was the king of that...he didn't even deny it half the time.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

diddy bowden was the king of that...he didn't even deny it half the time.
Yeah, but then he'd say "dadgummit" a few times and talk about The Lord a little. That's how you knew he wasn't really a scumbag.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama

IMHO, this is a typical set-up by Fisher to create as much overconfidence in Coker, our team and our fans as possible. Bear Bryant was a genius at this with everybody we played. He would always talk about how good Vandy was and how they'd beat some folks. When Mike Shula was our head coach, Pat Dye praised him weekly on the Finebaum show, telling everybody how great a coach and person he was. I'm sure he is a talented young man, but I will believe all the hoopla about Coker when I actually see it. Can't wait for the season to begin!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

IMHO, this is a typical set-up by Fisher to create as much overconfidence in Coker, our team and our fans as possible. Bear Bryant was a genius at this with everybody we played. He would always talk about how good Vandy was and how they'd beat some folks. When Mike Shula was our head coach, Pat Dye praised him weekly on the Finebaum show, telling everybody how great a coach and person he was. I'm sure he is a talented young man, but I will believe all the hoopla about Coker when I actually see it. Can't wait for the season to begin!
Possibly, or you could be over thinking it just a bit. Perhaps he genuinely thinks JC is a fine person and qb and when asked by Tidesports he just said what he thinks.

After all, we won't play FSU unless we see them in the playoff.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

I just hope he is as successful as the last one:biggrin2:

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama

Possibly, or you could be over thinking it just a bit. Perhaps he genuinely thinks JC is a fine person and qb and when asked by Tidesports he just said what he thinks.

After all, we won't play FSU unless we see them in the playoff.
You are correct. I could be over-thinking it a bit. It's the off-season. Give me break! A lot of us are over-thinking everything, it seems. :)

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

So Coker has more talent than A.J.? Well of course. Just look at all he's proven on a football field.
Physical skills does not in any way make you a Quarterback.
This kid is coming in as the next, "Billy Ray". Expectations and hopes beyond belief.
It's really not fair to him.
I hope to goodness the result isn't the same.
I think our starting QB next year is going to be Blake Simms.
However, if Coker actually "wins" the position, then I'll pull for him 10,000%.
I just want to see him actually perform before I annoint him as the next Joe Namath.
sip

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

So Coker has more talent than A.J.? Well of course. Just look at all he's proven on a football field.
This kid is coming in as the next, "Billy Ray". Expectations and hopes beyond belief.
I just want to see him actually perform before I annoint him as the next Joe Namath.
sip
Nobody said JC was a better QB than anyone. Jimbo said more more talented. Bigger, taller, stronger, faster, better arm. Does that make JC a better QB than AJ or Blake Simms or anyone else? Of course not. Jimbo is really just talking about raw physical ability. Can't really disagree with him there. Like anyone other player on our team being talented doesn't mean you automatically start or even get to play. JC has to put in the work and produce in practice and gel with the team etc.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

sip
I seriously doubt Sims is the starter outside of maybe a game or two.

Theres also no question that Coker is more talented than AJ, Greg or JP, but that doesn't mean much. None of those guys had great measurables.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

I seriously doubt Sims is the starter outside of maybe a game or two.

Theres also no question that Coker is more talented than AJ, Greg or JP, but that doesn't mean much. None of those guys had great measurables.
Well in terms of raw talent he has the potential to really develop under CLK and has Copper, White, & Jones to bail him out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.