Indiana Girl commits to play DB for NAIA college

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Years ago when he was still playing, I heard a great line from some commentator on one of the ESPN shows. Something along the lines of Sanders hated anything associated with tackle so much that he even refused to go fishing. The way HE worded it was funny.
Bowden said he used to get so angry at Deion in games, because he would get bored, wanna show off, etc. He would sometimes 'get beat' off the line to bait the QB, then use his ridiculous closing speed to catch up and break up the pass, or even intercept it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
I admire the girl's moxie, but I'm way too old school for this. There are some things girls just shouldn't do, and there are some things boys just shouldn't do. Above all, I hope she doesn't end up getting seriously injured.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
When I was in high school, my football coach was also our U.S. History teacher and we were studying the suffrage movement. One of the girls in the class said something about girls should be on the football team and the teacher asked her if she wanted to play. She answered "yes". This was during spring practice and I had been moved around and tried at different positions. During the two or three days prior, I had been playing at defensive end (our defense typically played a five-man front -- this was the early 80's and we mainly faced the wishbone and option) and had been going up against a 6'3" 300 lb tackle (who would later be All-State at his position) who my right side still has nightmares about. On basically every play, he was finishing off with a forearm into my right side.

The teacher asked me to stand up and lift up my shirt. My entire right side was basically a continuous bruise from my elbow all the way down to my hip. He then asked her again if she wanted to play and she had lost her enthusiasm. ;)

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Of course it's a PR move, the greatest female athlete in histor wouldn't be in the top 1,000 for males. 10,000 maybe.
I used to live in Knoxville during Pat Summitt's heydey. During one stretch they won three straight national titles. I saw a story on the local news about how they had male students (who I assumed had played high school basketball) serve as a practice squad. They interviewed some of the guys and said they were impressed the women on the team could hang with them on the court.

So if a bunch of random high school players, none of whom were good enough to actually play college ball, can handle the best woman's team in the country, that says something about men playing against women.

That being said, I fully support the right of a woman to play on a men's football team. Some things, like not touching a hot stove, just need to be learned on their own.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
If the BEST NBA team, Miami Heat or San Antonio Spurs, played the BEST WNBA team, I think the Heat or the Spurs could keep the women's team from scoring and the Heat or Spurs could put up 200+ points on the board. I honestly think they could also keep the WNBA team from passing center court.

I honestly would like to see this happen.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
If the BEST NBA team, Miami Heat or San Antonio Spurs, played the BEST WNBA team, I think the Heat or the Spurs could keep the women's team from scoring and the Heat or Spurs could put up 200+ points on the board. I honestly think they could also keep the WNBA team from passing center court.

I honestly would like to see this happen.
You could take the worst of the NBA such as the Bucks, 76ers, or Cavs and put them against the best of the WNBA and the results would stay the same. The women lose about 4-5 inches per position on average, not to mention they aren't even close athletically. There's a reason that none of the WNBA teams are self sufficient, and it's because no body really cares for boring basketball.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Well Deion had 493 career tackles and 1 sack in 14 seasons (seriously??) So he ***could*** tackle if he needed to but he just ***did not like*** to tackle. Bottom line I'd take him any day. There just wasn't any WR that he couldn't keep up with.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Well Deion had 493 career tackles and 1 sack in 14 seasons (seriously??) So he ***could*** tackle if he needed to but he just ***did not like*** to tackle. Bottom line I'd take him any day. There just wasn't any WR that he couldn't keep up with.
To take it a step further, in his prime Deion was so fast that he took away almost half of the field. Not only did QBs not throw to the receiver that he was covering, but they stayed far away from him altogether. He was so fast that he always kept an eye on the QB and anything on his area presented an opportunity for an interception - and he was hard to catch if he got a pick in the open field.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
I doubt she ever plays. I wouldn't know how to practice against her. If you are blocking her and grab the inside of the shoulder pads, you could be charged with sexual harrassment.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.