What ate this 9 foot great white?

Rattlehead82

1st Team
Feb 3, 2008
Pace, FL
Do y'all think it could have been hoaxed? Say some fishermen caught it and lifted it out of the water raising the temperature, then throwing the tracker back in?

Without seeing the body, I don't see how they can conclusively say the shark was eaten. Do they put the trackers on the dorsal fin? Maybe another animal bit the dorsal fin off along with the tracker.

I'm just spit-balling lol

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Do y'all think it could have been hoaxed? Say some fishermen caught it and lifted it out of the water raising the temperature, then throwing the tracker back in?

Without seeing the body, I don't see how they can conclusively say the shark was eaten. Do they put the trackers on the dorsal fin? Maybe another animal bit the dorsal fin off along with the tracker.

when sharks make sweet love the male does bite the dorsal fin to hold on.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
my first guess would be a bigger great white, my second guess is killer whale, my third is the tracker malfunctioned and fell out.
This was my first guess, as it is known to happen (see here for a documentary on the subject). Orcas > Great Whites. But Orcas have a core body temp of 97.5 or so, so one would expect the recorded temp spike to have been even higher than it was.

3m is not particularly big for a female great white (mature individuals reach up to 6.4m with average mature female being 4.5-5m). So this was an adolescent. Not unbelievable that a large mature alpha took a bite out of her.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
This was my first guess, as it is known to happen (see here for a documentary on the subject). Orcas > Great Whites. But Orcas have a core body temp of 97.5 or so, so one would expect the recorded temp spike to have been even higher than it was.

3m is not particularly big for a female great white (mature individuals reach up to 6.4m with average mature female being 4.5-5m). So this was an adolescent. Not unbelievable that a large mature alpha took a bite out of her.
yeah I am starting to lean towards the killer whale theory. Great Whites and Killer Whales are like the Crips and Bloods when it comes to getting along.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

Rattlehead's explanation sounds plausible.

The spike occured at 1,900 feet beneath the surface of the ocean, not something a fisherman could have done. The reason 78 degrees is such a conclusive temperature for being eaten is because that's very close to the interior temperature for a lot of marine animals. Our heat signature is 98.6, in that same way, 78 is very common for marine animals.

The temperature in the water around the shark was 46 degrees prior to the spike, and it stayed at 78 degrees for 8 days, which falls in line with traveling through a digestive system.

That heat signature is too low for an Orca. The only thing that really makes sense at this point would be another Great White Shark.

Last edited:

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
The spike occured at 1,900 feet beneath the surface of the ocean, not something a fisherman could have done. The reason 78 degrees is such a conclusive temperature for being eaten is because that's very close to the interior temperature for a lot of marine animals. Our heat signature is 98.6, in that same way, 78 is very common for marine animals.

The temperature in the water around the shark was 46 degrees prior to the spike, and it stayed at 78 degrees for 8 days, which falls in line with traveling through a digestive system.

That heat signature is too low for an Orca. The only thing that really makes sense at this point would be another Great White Shark.
Agreed. The stomach temp of a White ranges from 13-25 degrees higher than the surrounding water temp (see link), which would put it in the 59-71 range. We don't have intestinal values for the White Shark. But we do for its cousins, the Maco, the Porbeagle, and the Salmon. In those cases, the intestinal temps range about 3-7 degrees warmer than the stomach. Extrapolating those increases to the White, we arrive at an intestinal temperature around 62-78 degrees. Maybe a tad low compared to the 78 that was measured, but definitely within the realm of possibility.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Agreed. The stomach temp of a White ranges from 13-25 degrees higher than the surrounding water temp (see link), which would put it in the 59-71 range. We don't have intestinal values for the White Shark. But we do for its cousins, the Maco, the Porbeagle, and the Salmon. In those cases, the intestinal temps range about 3-7 degrees warmer than the stomach. Extrapolating those increases to the White, we arrive at an intestinal temperature around 62-78 degrees. Maybe a tad low compared to the 78 that was measured, but definitely within the realm of possibility.
And it looks like there wasn't much mystery, they already knew but were trying to get people to tune in and watch. It was another Great White.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.