My Experience at the St Jude's Classic this Weekend

Clubfitter

Hall of Fame
Feb 21, 2009
Meridianville, Al
www.amtrustwebsite.com
Course was in great condition under the circumstances. Course took several inches of rain during the week. Don't know how the ground crews kept the course and greens in such great shape. Speaks well for the drainage system there.

Michael Thompson had a good 2nd round going until he got a bad case of the hookitis off the tee on his back 9. Missed the cut.

Boo Weekley is a really good ball striker. Ball really takes off. Funny moment. Boo after making birdie on the island green, tees off on #12. There is a pond on the left of the tee box with about 6 ducks on it. As Boo walks by (about 30 yds) he never takes his eyes off the ducks making duck calls along the way. Think he was visualizing those ducks as supper. Got a big chuckle out of that (as Boo has said many times he had rather be hunting instead of playing golf).

Then there is John Daly. Watched his 2nd round. Played what I thought was a very smart round. Aiming at the middle of greens and placing shots in fairways (conservative by his standards). Till he got to the last 7 holes where he started going for the flag. He made 3 birdies and 4 pars to finish -1 to make the cut. Then he totally lost it on the weekend. (to be fair he was walking with a serious limp last couple of days) What's new.

Ben Martin had a great Sunday shooting -5 to finish tied for 13th as did Webb Simpson who shot -4 to finish tied for 3rd.

Ricky Fowler is almost back from swing changes. Has a faithful following. You should see his girlfriend in person. That smile could stop a freight train. Don't know how he ever gets any serious golf played.

Phil has lots of charisma with the crowd and the crowd loves him and he loves them.

I thought one of the greatest pressure putts I saw was Troy Merritt on the 18th green Sunday. He was 2 shots down and you knew he would be going for the flag (a very tough pin placement on the left next to the water). He did and missed left but it didn't go in water. He flopped that shot past the pin which looked to me like about 15 ft. He made that putt downhill to earn 2nd place money by himself. He made a lot of money on that putt.

Then the final group. Ben Crane was going to have nothing to do with the water on the left (I think the 18th is a great finishing hole). He drove the ball off the tee away from the water and his approach to the green was right in the sand trap. He now had 3 shots to win the tourny. He made what I thought was a smart sand shot to a safe place on the green (the shot was slightly down hill to the pin toward the water) then he made his 2 putts to win the tourny.

I really did enjoy the week as this is the 1st time I went to a golf tourny for the whole week .

Now bring on the Open. This time will enjoy from the confines of my man cave.

Last edited:

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
I bet it means a lot to the families of the children getting treatment at St. Jude's to see all the pros that come to this tournament. I wish it was not a week before the Open so more of the pros would compete in it.

Clubfitter

Hall of Fame
Feb 21, 2009
Meridianville, Al
www.amtrustwebsite.com
I bet it means a lot to the families of the children getting treatment at St. Jude's to see all the pros that come to this tournament. I wish it was not a week before the Open so more of the pros would compete in it.
Yes. On 18th of final round there was an honorary pin keeper, St Jude Child, for each group as they came up for the final hole. The child was announced to the crowd just like the players were. When hole was completed each player or caddy gave the child something ie. glove, hat, ball, autograph etc. Was some very touching moments.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.