News Article: Tony Brown's Mom: "He's Going to do Whatever He has to do to Start"

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Story

Malachi Dupre was calling Tony Brown out.

“I talk to Tony maybe at least once a week,” the LSU wide receiver signee said in an interview with NOLA.com “I just have to say, Tony knows he can’t shut me down.”

Brown’s mother, Tammy, said the old Tony would have told Dupree to “line up” and prove it. However, she said her son has done a lot more maturing in his first semester of college as an early-enrollee at Alabama.

“He knows it’s just part of pumping up the rivalry,” Walker-Brown said. “He’s rational about all of it.”

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
From what I saw in his limited action in the spring, I think Mr. Brown will see the field this year. Start? That's for our coaches to decide, but, yes, he'll play and more than on special teams.

He's an exceptional talent!!!

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
I hope he learns the defense because he sure is talented. He strikes me as a fearless corner eager to take on the best competition.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Worth quoting:

"She [his mother] added that he has a 3.4 GPA after a semester and he hopes to graduate in 2.5 years with 17 college credits earned while in high school under his belt."

Last edited:

KillVols

1st Team
Oct 23, 2004
Go Go Tony! It will be interesting to see how LSU stacks up. I read one report that predicted us losing to LSU due to being road game weary...even though we have a bye before! @ miss @ Arky A&M@H @Tenn @LSU---pretty tough stretch! Roll Tide!

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
When I saw tony in the 7on7 tournament, and he was shutting people down (when offense rules the day in these things)...I was impressed. If he learns the defense, imo, he will be starting by the end of the year.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Worth quoting:

"She [his mother] added that he has a 3.4 GPA after a semester and he hopes to graduate in 2.5 years with 17 college credits earned while in high school under his belt."
Too often negative news from football programs with regard to off the field decisions by some young men. It is certainly refreshing reading about young men like Tony who have a plan on how to succeed. In Tony Brown's case, his talent will probably take him on to the NFL but his education will ultimately help define his future. He reminds me of a Kevin Norwood type who took care of his educational opportunity (got his Masters) while excelling on the football field.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Tony represents what's good in college football & I'm glad he representing The Crimson Tide..We're already proud of you Tony for the kinda grades youve kept up & still dominate on the football field as well..

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Worth quoting:

If he's that smart, he should learn the defense quicker than those who've come before. I expect to see a lot of him this season.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
If he's that smart, he should learn the defense quicker than those who've come before. I expect to see a lot of him this season.
Agreed. Smarts, an attitude of doing whatever it takes, focus on whatever is in front of him (whether academics or football), a semester's credit before he ever hit campus, a spring semester and summer school on campus, a spring training, 9 months under Cochran, and honor roll academics while doing all of the above.

Yes, he'll pick up the defense quickly. But it's still Saban's defense, and his DBs.

I expect early positional (i.e., not kick coverage) playing time for Brown, and maybe starting later in the season. True freshman, first game starter against Dana Holgorson and WVU?

I'm sold on potential and likely performance. I'm not sold on first game starter.

He'll start, trust me :) Freshman corners, Brown and Humphrey. It'll work. sip
Not sold on Humphrey as a freshman yet. He's not terribly physical, and hasn't participated in Cochran's conditioning. Worlds of speed and talent. Whether that translates into meaningful positional time in 2014 is another question.

I hope Humphrey beats out everybody else. And I expect that to happen. Next year or the year after.

Last edited:

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
When someone talks smack like Dupre' is talking smack, no matter how playful it may be, it means he's worried he has to face that guy he's talking smack about on the field and it's bothering him....jus sayin;)

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
When someone talks smack like Dupre' is talking smack, no matter how playful it may be, it means he's worried he has to face that guy he's talking smack about on the field and it's bothering him....jus sayin;)
Yep. It's like a kid about to get a shot, the doc is sweet talking him, asking him how he's doing in baseball, and the kid blurts out "just do it already, doc!" Can't stand the waiting.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Go Go Tony! It will be interesting to see how LSU stacks up. I read one report that predicted us losing to LSU due to being road game weary...even though we have a bye before! @ miss @ Arky A&M@H @Tenn @LSU---pretty tough stretch! Roll Tide!
death valley is one place i never worry about us showing up to play :)

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.