Link: The 2015 QB Dominoes Continue to Fall

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Breakdown here

Figured I should keep the overall QB talk out of the Waller thread, so I'll post this here.

Alabama – Alabama extended an offer recently to Texas four-star Quinten Dormady but the Tide was a little late to the party and on Monday night Dormady committed to Tennessee where he had a stronger relationship in place. Now Alabama seems to be slowly creeping up the list for Waller and is becoming a viable threat to land him. The only other quarterback currently on the radar for the Tide looks to be Barnett. He’ll visit but remains an Oregon lean. The Tide remain among the favorites for the top quarterback in 2016, Jacob Eason, and with him keeping a close eye on depth chart, the Tide may not force the issue on a passer they don’t love.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
The question is who has the foresight and patience to come, develop for at least two years and then have a chance to beat out Cornwall who will have been here 1 year longer? I think we pass on 2015 and look to 2016 at this point.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
The question is who has the foresight and patience to come, develop for at least two years and then have a chance to beat out Cornwall who will have been here 1 year longer? I think we pass on 2015 and look to 2016 at this point.
I think you may be right on passing on a QB in this class if we don't get Waller. Every QB we recruit or sign has to be under the impression they will have to be patient.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Unless it`s some slam dunk super talent that we just can`t pass on, it wouldn`t surprise me either if we don`t pass on QB for `15.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This is a tricky situation. Saban and Kiffin can decide to skip on a QB if Waller goes elsewhere and Sills does not impress while on campus this week.

If they do that, the QB depth going into 2015 looks like this:

Coker (RS Senior, could leave depending on season)
Morris (RS Junior)
Bateman (RS Sophomore)
Cornwell (RS Freshman)

A project QB might not be the worst thing in this class in order to provide some depth. I know we don't want someone like Ely or McLeod to join the team and transfer two years later, but I also know we don't want to enter the 2016 season with a RS Senior, RS Junior, RS Sophomore, and true freshman as our only QBs.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This is a tricky situation. Saban and Kiffin can decide to skip on a QB if Waller goes elsewhere and Sills does not impress while on campus this week.

If they do that, the QB depth going into 2015 looks like this:

Coker (RS Senior, could leave depending on season)
Morris (RS Junior)
Bateman (RS Sophomore)
Cornwell (RS Freshman)

A project QB might not be the worst thing in this class in order to provide some depth. I know we don't want someone like Ely or McLeod to join the team and transfer two years later, but I also know we don't want to enter the 2016 season with a RS Senior, RS Junior, RS Sophomore, and true freshman as our only QBs.
You are definitely more the expert here on recruiting, but I don't know why that scenario would be so bad IF (qualifiying if) your projected starter had logged some quality playing time in someone like a RS Jr David Cornwell. Shoot, by that point (if JC blows up and goes pro after one year at Bama) Cornwell might have already started his RS Soph. year.

Lot's of "ifs" but maybe a simpler approach to recruiting a qb for the 2015 cycle might be to only offer/accept the committment of a qb that they believe is better/equal to the abilities of the guys we already have in the fold. Otherwise, you're just offering a spot to somebody who will probably never be more than 3rd or 4th on the depth chart.

I still think many of us are psychologically damaged from the year way back under Shula when we lost Brodie and we didn't have a guy on the roster who could complete a forward pass, but hopefully we'll never get into a situation like that under CNS!!! But I don't see a need to offer a spot to someone just for the sake of signing a qb each year. JMO

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I don't know much of anything about our qb situation this year but I do hope we are going after about a half dozen kickers! It used to be that my butt would draw up every time our qb dropped back to pass in fear of an int., but now it draws up every time we line up for a field goal!!! ;)

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
If you can find a McElroy -- 3* (laugh) with a great mind for football, then take him. I have just about come to believe that a QB's mind is as important as his arm or feet.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I know that every year is about winning now, but I think that it would be very foolish to have all of Alabama's meaningful snaps at QB taken by Coker and Sims this year. Both will likely be gone next year if Coker starts.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I know that every year is about winning now, but I think that it would be very foolish to have all of Alabama's meaningful snaps at QB taken by Coker and Sims this year. Both will likely be gone next year if Coker starts.
In a perfect world, Coker will come in and be better than anyone imagines, Sims will find meaningful playing time at some other position and Bateman/Morris/Cornwell could get plenty of snaps in clean-up duty. That's a perfect world in my mind.

Specifically on Sims: I'd like to see him get some playing time and glory for his patient and faithful devotion to the team. However, to build qb depth for the future, I'd prefer some of the young qbs get the clean up duty. Since Cornwell is seen as the future, I wouldn't mind it being him (if he's ready).

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
If Coker goes pro, I think it means he had a great season. If Coker has a great season, then I think that means good things for how our season as a whole went. If he's mediocre or worse, he stays. I'd rather him light it up and walk away with an SEC title or more and wish him luck in the pros.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I am still extremely disappointed that we lost out on Ricky Town. That kid is LEGIT!!! After that if there is no other sure fire Elite guy I'd rather go after a Top 2016 guy and get another position this year. We already have Coker, Cornwell, and Bateman right now.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
I still think SAban would like to have a Dual threat QB on campus. Sims has provided a lot of helpful looks for our defense over the years as a zone read qB. I'm not saying Bama will never start a DT QB, but sometimes you want one on your team to make other teams prepare for it and also give our own defense realistic looks at what an opposing offense does. That may be the reason why no DT Qb's want to come to Bama.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Tider Insider has a good write up today about some of our remaining targets including the QB situation.

It is one of the threads you can read for free.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.