Ranking The SEC Coaches Going Into 2014

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Gus has got a lot out of last year, but I think he ought to fall at least behind Miles who has won multiple SEC championships and has hoisted the crystal. He might be a little crazy, but that's proof he does something right. And despite doing less with more over his career at Georgia, CMR has arguably accomplished just as much as Gus. I'd put him at #4 behind CLM or maybe even at #5 behind CMR.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Gus has got a lot out of last year, but I think he ought to fall at least behind Miles who has won multiple SEC championships and has hoisted the crystal. He might be a little crazy, but that's proof he does something right. And despite doing less with more over his career at Georgia, CMR has arguably accomplished just as much as Gus. I'd put him at #4 behind CLM or maybe even at #5 behind CMR.
I agree, espcially putting Gus behind Miles.

The Kig

May 1, 2014
The top 2 are easy. Two tenured coaches with history on their sides. Even CMR and Miles should be given some credit for time spent and winning at their schools. However, circumstances probably have more to do with success at LSU than Miles decision making process as a coach.

After that, I don't know that the rankings have much relevance. Mostly because there isn't enough data on many of the coaches for it to be accurate. So many of the coaches are in the too early to tell category. Was the success that Gus had last year a function of pure luck or the recruiting base that he contributed to as the OC? Bielema inherited a complete dumpster fire that even Petrino wouldn't have been able to win with. Stoops is at Kentucky...could be a good coach, but it is still KY. Mason hasn't even coached a game and he is the lowest ranked coach on the list??? Not enough data on Freeze or Jones to really assess yet, but both seem to be improving their programs.

Really after the top couple, I think the only one that would be hard to argue was Muschump, unless he should be lower. He has turned one of the most competitive SEC programs into an afterthought in record time... remarkable.

I get that it is just an opinion, by default placing someone at 14, 10, or 2 implies the belief that the 14th guy is the worst coach in the league, which probably isn't true.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Malzahn doesn't belong in the top 5. That is crazy. Give a coach a few years to see if his methods are sustainable. One sample is not a trend!!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yah, no way I put Gus above Miles until he's won the NC and shown the ability to be in the thick of it year in and out. Miles is good AND resilient.

Glad, almost surprised to see OBC get the #2 spot - what he's done at SC is nothing short of miraculous.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
IMO Gus had 4 things going for him last year...1) A gimmick offense that some teams will tighten down on this year and slow it down (pardon the pun)...2) LUCK and it counts. No way of knowing when it will end, but it will...3) Obscurity coming from no where and making it to the top which will not happen again this year because they now wear a target on their back...4) His players play the game loose and give 100% all the time. Of those 4 I only see #4 being substainable.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Yah, no way I put Gus above Miles until he's won the NC and shown the ability to be in the thick of it year in and out. Miles is good AND resilient.

Glad, almost surprised to see OBC get the #2 spot - what he's done at SC is nothing short of miraculous.
So you don't give him partial credit for 2010? I mean Les lucked into the BCSNCG to clobber an outmanned B1G team. At least AU went undefeated and had some incredible comeback victories. If you don't credit Malzhan for that squad, you're crediting Chizik. Just think about that for a second.

These lists are always tricky. Is it a career achievement award? Is it who gets the most out of the talent they have? Or is it who's hot now? Either way, CNS would be at the top.

I agree Miles should be ahead of Gus, but not because of a single crystal ball. He has sustained greatness. Gus has not. I'd but CMR ahead of him too because he basically played for an NC in 2012. They would've clobbered ND. Honestly CMR could be a real standout coach if he wasn't so lax when it comes discipline.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
So you don't give him partial credit for 2010? I mean Les lucked into the BCSNCG to clobber an outmanned B1G team. At least AU went undefeated and had some incredible comeback victories. If you don't credit Malzhan for that squad, you're crediting Chizik. Just think about that for a second.
Well, if we're going to include success as coordinator, Chizik still has more rings...

I think Gus is a better coach, but he's had ONE good season as a HC - Les has had many.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.