Joker Phillips Resigns as Florida WR Coach

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Story

I hope you enjoyed all those "Come play receiver for the Joker" photoshops that Florida had been producing in recent years, because you won't be seeing any more of them.

Florida coach Will Muschamp announced Wednesday that receivers coach Joker Phillips has resigned from the position.
Possible reason:

@McMurphyESPN Joker Phillips forced to resign at UF by Will Muschamp because of Phillips' possible NCAA recruiting violations source told @espn

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Say it ain't true. Joker Phillips and possible recruiting violations!! Muschamp must have known Phillips' reputation for questionable recruiting prior to hiring the bum.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I guarantee it was more than that - no one gets canned for a minor secondary...
I agree. Even in the short term he was there, if he had several secondary violations that would not get him fired. I think he had to have done something that could possibly bring the NCAA to Gainesville. Makes me wonder what he did at KY if this is the case.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Looks like it was a bump rule violation. Link

Former University of Florida wide receivers coach Joker Phillips resigned this week after the NCAA received a photo of the coach sitting in a restaurant with a high school recruit during a mandated dead period in recruiting, multiple sources told Yahoo Sports.

Three sources told Yahoo Sports the photo was turned over to the NCAA by an individual with ties to the Miami Hurricanes athletics program. Should the NCAA determine Phillips improperly recruited during a mandated dead period, it could be considered a major NCAA violation.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Looks like it was a bump rule violation. Link
That's not a bump rule violation - the bump rule is if you happen to randomly' bump' into a recruit during a dead period you can't even speak to them. It's secondary violation.

This is a recruiting dinner during a dead period - a major violation.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
That's not a bump rule violation - the bump rule is if you happen to randomly' bump' into a recruit during a dead period you can't even speak to them. It's secondary violation.

It was probably said to be a "bump" by Joker or Florida, but it's clearly more than the "bump rule" definition.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Agreed. A "bump" for example is when a coach visits a school during dead period and he happens to bump into the 5* player in the lunchroom and say hello.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.