Tyrone Prothro testifies at the O'Bannon trial

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
What about TJ Yeldon?
I would go Mark Barron before I went TJ Yeldon. Loved Mark Barron.
Not to hijack but the following random thought just occurred to me:

What would I pay for an autographed pic of both Prothro & Joey Jones together wearing their #4 jerseys? Any other Joey Jones fans out there?
Didn't really mean it as an all-time #4 comparison. Just meant that TP & JJ are 2 of my favorite players ever. Small stature, huge heart. It never occurred to me before that they both wore #4 and, of course, they're both WR's....

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
No, it's not - the point you're missing its that without Alabama's exposure, few would know who TyPro is.

Both parties create the value here. This is why these sorts of decisions are generally tough.
That's true. However, prior to Pro who do you recall that has achieved notoriety wearing number 4?

Brett Favre wore number 4 at SoMiss - a school that generally has no exposure but because of his stellar play he was able to achieve some level of nationwide recognition. The school you play for provides a base line level of value or opportunity for individual recognition. Some schools offer more like Alabama and some schools offer virtually none. A player's individual play escalates the value of the school brand beyond that baseline value.

If Pro makes that catch wearing a Vandy jersey, Vandy fans might value that catch at $$250,000 (amount just for argument sake) by buying an equivalent amount of merchandise depicting that catch. Whereas, Pro making that catch wearing a Bama jersey, Bama fans might value that catch at $5,000,000 by buying an equivalent amount of merchandise depicting the catch.

With today's technology, it would be fairly easy to come up with a formula to compensate a player and the school on revenue generated from specifically identified images/video/merchandise. Based on that approach, the public can determine the collective value of those images and each party gets their cut. Its really rather simple and it could be done either before or after a player's eligibility is complete. All you have to do is modify the formula.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Didn't really mean it as an all-time #4 comparison. Just meant that TP & JJ are 2 of my favorite players ever. Small stature, huge heart. It never occurred to me before that they both wore #4 and, of course, they're both WR's....
You could throw Marquise Maze into the small stature huge heart category as well. No. 4 has been a pretty big number under Saban.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
That's true. However, prior to Pro who do you recall that has achieved notoriety wearing number 4?
That's not really the point - the point is you likely would never have known who TyPro was had he not been sought out by Shula - IIRC he was a 3* athlete with no D1 offers outside of Bama.

The point here is that while I think players should receive a percentage of the income the University takes in based on their likeness, it's a two-way street - they both were necessary to have achieved this memorable moment.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
That's not really the point - the point is you likely would never have known who TyPro was had he not been sought out by Shula - IIRC he was a 3* athlete with no D1 offers outside of Bama.

The point here is that while I think players should receive a percentage of the income the University takes in based on their likeness, it's a two-way street - they both were necessary to have achieved this memorable moment.
I agree with you CA. That has always been my rebuttal to those who think players should be paid. Alabama is bigger than any one player. We would sell out the stadium no matter who's playing. Its the almost the same thing across the country. A&M was there before and after JM. Did JM generate money for A&M? Sure he did. But the universities give those players the exposure. Players will come and go. Should players get a %? Idk. That's a real slippery slope to go down.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Perfectly said. :iagree:

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I'm sorry but I don't really buy into college scholarship athletes needing more money. Currently their full athletic scholarship is valued at over $54,500 per year at UA (for out of state students). Assuming they attend summer school (which they all do). Plus they get 3 or 4 years of world-class apprenticeship training for the NFL, NBA or MLB.

It is funny that the athletes that complain about money are usually the ones in full scholarship sports( football basketball) and not the partial scholarship sports (baseball, track, swimming, golf, etc). Partial scholarship sport athletes put in as much time as full scholarship sport athletes.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I'm sorry but I don't really buy into college scholarship athletes needing more money. Currently their full athletic scholarship is valued at over $54,500 per year at UA (for out of state students). Assuming they attend summer school (which they all do). Plus they get 3 or 4 years of world-class apprenticeship training for the NFL, NBA or MLB.

It is funny that the athletes that complain about money are usually the ones in full scholarship sports( football basketball) and not the partial scholarship sports (baseball, track, swimming, golf, etc). Partial scholarship sport athletes put in as much time as full scholarship sport athletes.
I agree. People just dismiss the athletic scholarship. Its worth around $250K total value over 4 years and around $300K for those who stay as 5th year seniors. The vast majority of students are paying that out of pocket or are taking out loans for that amount.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

Brett Favre wore number 4 at SoMiss - a school that generally has no exposure but because of his stellar play he was able to achieve some level of nationwide recognition. The school you play for provides a base line level of value or opportunity for individual recognition. Some schools offer more like Alabama and some schools offer virtually none. A player's individual play escalates the value of the school brand beyond that baseline value.

If Pro makes that catch wearing a Vandy jersey, Vandy fans might value that catch at $$250,000 (amount just for argument sake) by buying an equivalent amount of merchandise depicting that catch. Whereas, Pro making that catch wearing a Bama jersey, Bama fans might value that catch at $5,000,000 by buying an equivalent amount of merchandise depicting the catch.

With today's technology, it would be fairly easy to come up with a formula to compensate a player and the school on revenue generated from specifically identified images/video/merchandise. Based on that approach, the public can determine the collective value of those images and each party gets their cut. Its really rather simple and it could be done either before or after a player's eligibility is complete. All you have to do is modify the formula.
Problem with this is how unfair it is to Mark Barron and TJ Yeldon.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
What jersey stays on sale no matter the current roster? The number 12. What player gets the money from that? Nammath? Brodie? GMac? Stabler?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I agree. People just dismiss the athletic scholarship. Its worth around $250K total value over 4 years and around $300K for those who stay as 5th year seniors. The vast majority of students are paying that out of pocket or are taking out loans for that amount.
Point taken, but I think you're numbers are a bit inflated - out of state tuition for 2013-2014 was $19,553 for the semester, including everything (meals, parking, books, room, etc). That's ~$160k for four years. In-state kids paid about 60% of that rate.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
What jersey stays on sale no matter the current roster? The number 12. What player gets the money from that? Nammath? Brodie? GMac? Stabler?
If it doesn't have their name on it then the money goes to the school.

I am suggesting if the school is promoting Pro's catch or Bennet'***** on the ND QB, a sliver of that revenue could be paid to the player. If you pay a player while in school then a share should go to the school, a share to his teammates, and a share to the player.

I am not advocating paying players at all but if that happens you need a formula to do it.

Basically if he is in the jersey or his name is on it then he gets compensated otherwise no compensation to the player is warranted.

Based on this model it doesn't have to be fair to every player who has worn number 4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think they called Prothro to testify because his injury makes him a sympathetic witness.

Hey, look, here's a guy who had a horrible injury while making millions for his school. He got nothing and had to pay for his own photos while he's working a crappy teller job at a bank.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Point taken, but I think you're numbers are a bit inflated - out of state tuition for 2013-2014 was $19,553 for the semester, including everything (meals, parking, books, room, etc). That's ~$160k for four years. In-state kids paid about 60% of that rate.
If you add the cost of tutors, gear, coaching, per diems, travel, insurance/other medical costs, etc it adds up. I was just a lowly walk on in a non revenue sport and I know I cost the university thousands of dollars.

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
The gross value of the scholarship, plus the incidental costs CoachJeff mentioned, aren't really pertinent. The only real number that matters is the actual scholarship plus room and board. Travel, trainers, coaching, etc. are not part of the players compensation. They are expenses of the university, just like the electric bill for BDS.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If you add the cost of tutors, gear, coaching, per diems, travel, insurance/other medical costs, etc it adds up. I was just a lowly walk on in a non revenue sport and I know I cost the university thousands of dollars.
Yah, but that's just the cost of doing business.

What they graduate with is what we're discussing - if they get their degree, it's value is based on market value, not the perks they get as athletes.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
That's an apple oranges comparison. If I was a fan of that other school yes I might would buy a copy of the photo.

The point being made is at Bama the number 12 jersey is just the number 12 jersey same as the number 5 jersey. Just like any other school. However, the value is created based on "who" wore that number while they played.

To me, like in Prothro's case, if the school promotes a picture while he is wearing the jersey there ought to be some compensation on that after their eligibility has expired. But I don't think compensation is warranted just for selling a number 3 jersey that doesn't have Richardson's name on it.

If an artist pays a subject to be a model for a painting or a sculpture, should the subject be entitled to compensation in the future regardless of the orginal agreement struck between the artist and subject?

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
If an artist pays a subject to be a model for a painting or a sculpture, should the subject be entitled to compensation in the future regardless of the orginal agreement struck between the artist and subject?
I guess it depends on what the model and artist negotiate.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.