Tyrone Prothro testifies at the O'Bannon trial

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Should that standard also apply to athletes and universities?
Hard to argue that it doesn't happen today. Players know what they are agreeing to when they sign that scholly form. It may not be "right", but they know what they are signing up for, both in terms of work required and compensation (and lack thereof). The player might not be able to change the rules, but he/she can choose between multiple options (in most cases) and find the program most likely to help them throughout the remainder of their lives - not just during their playing days at that school.

I hate the NCAA, but these players signed contracts. Prothro is taking the right approach. He is not claiming that he was harmed by the process, or that he was taken advantage of or lied to at any time - but he is trying to affect change for future players.

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
If an artist pays a subject to be a model for a painting or a sculpture, should the subject be entitled to compensation in the future regardless of the orginal agreement struck between the artist and subject?
It sorta depends on the model, the artist, and the agreement, wouldn't it? Also, since the NCAA pretty much has a monopoly on training future pro football players, the original agreement isn't really negotiated in good faith, is it?

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I agree 100% with y'all that says a free ride to play football, access, to world class coaching, and world class S&C Programs too boot..They have access to things most kids coming out of high school could only dream about..If football doesn't work out after 4yrs, they should be set for life, and fall back on the diploma if they put in the work to earn it..And the connections they have once they enter to work field, is great, cause companies loves to hire football players that have earned their diplomas..The football players do put their bodies at risk playing coolege football, but, what they get in return is more than fair & I don't think they should be paid besides what they are get in return for playing college football..JMHO

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
It sorta depends on the model, the artist, and the agreement, wouldn't it? Also, since the NCAA pretty much has a monopoly on training future pro football players, the original agreement isn't really negotiated in good faith, is it?
Good faith? I think so. The situation you describe, one party having substantially more power and actually creating the terms of the contract, is very typical in the world. For example: end user software license agreements and insurance contracts.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I agree 100% with y'all that says a free ride to play football, access, to world class coaching, and world class S&C Programs too boot..They have access to things most kids coming out of high school could only dream about..If football doesn't work out after 4yrs, they should be set for life, and fall back on the diploma if they put in the work to earn it..And the connections they have once they enter to work field, is great, cause companies loves to hire football players that have earned their diplomas..The football players do put their bodies at risk playing coolege football, but, what they get in return is more than fair & I don't think they should be paid besides what they are get in return for playing college football..JMHO
Most of those diplomas are utterly worthless, and the schools know that when the kids sign up. The idea that the degree they get is worth something is laughable.

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Good faith? I think so. The situation you describe, one party having substantially more power and actually creating the terms of the contract, is very typical in the world. For example: end user software license agreements and insurance contracts.
Yes, and they frequently end up getting renegotiated when the user gets some leverage. Remember MLB's reserve clause? Is the NCAA really going to fight this if their exemption from the Sherman anti-trust statutes is on the table? Or if their "non-profit" status is called into question? How did that work out in MLB vs Curt Flood? MLB won the battle, but lost the war for free agency.

During the last 25 years, college football television revenue has increased from $20m a year back in the eighties to roughly $750 million today, with no end in sight. During that time, the NCAA has frozen the compensation for athletes at the same level, the cost of a scholarship. The cost of that scholarship has only risen roughly 400% during that time, and it's the athletic departments of the universities that have pocketed the difference. The more money college football makes, the bigger the target on their back gets. How long before college players have some form of union? Because once they do, just the threat of a strike will break the system. The networks have too much invested to take a chance on dead air when they've got a game scheduled.

Last edited:

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
That's up to the student-athlete.
Is it? Maybe in theory, but we recruit a lot of players that couldn't get accepted if they weren't athletes. Is it really up to them? They have one full-time job that pays the bills. If they can't make the grades, they're out on their butts. Is it any wonder that they gravitate to easier majors? In fact, I'm pretty sure we pay several "advisors" to steer them in that direction.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.