IRS unable to produce emails to Congress

TNBama

1st Team
Apr 19, 2000
Knoxville, TN. USA
Many companies, such as the large international company I work for, very much limit how long corporate emails are saved on email servers and specifically prohibit pst files ( personal email storage) on servers for the exact purpose of making it impossible to pull up "old" emails from archive for the specific reason of of preventing opposing counsel from accessing email records. I'm in IT and I know for a fact this is our companies policies. They accept that the harm done by the emails far outweighs the possible proof of defense the emails might provide. Corruption reaches far and wide in private and government sectors.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Corruption reaches far and wide in private and government sectors.
I was with you until this final sentence. In my experience in the private sector, it is far more likely that opposing counsel will twist the most innocent of emails to his ambulance-chasing purposes than it is that "corruption" will exist in the company.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Internal IRS records disposition policy (which includes policy on email retention) is outlined in General Records Schedules (GRS), IRS Document 12829, Catalog 54713E and IRS Records Control Schedules (RCS), IRS Document 12990, Catalog 57910D in accordance with guidance provided by the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA).

As with all things IRS, the maze of bureaucracy and regulations makes it near impossible to find those two documents (12829 and 12990) to nail down the specific retention schedule. But NARA is a tad bit more transparent in its guidance, giving ranges, to the best of my ability to discern, from 2 years to forever, with the vast majority of government record types legally required to be retained from 5 years to 7 years.

Whereas private business email retention is largely a matter left to the individual company and a function of risk vs. reward, official government email retention is a matter of law. And the IRS, regardless of its guilt or innocence with regard to slow-rolling conservative tax exemption applicants, is definitely guilty of failing to follow the law with regard to records retention and discovery.

Last edited:

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
If the emails were lost due to some computer crash, then their IT department is woefully inept.
These are government IT workers. So it really wouldn't surprise me, but yeah I'm going to call BS.

Also to the comment earlier that there is a 7yr retention requirement for email, that isn't my understanding. You keep them as long as your internal IT retention policy states. If your policy says 3 yrs, then it is 3 years. If e-discovery happens and they ask for 4 yr old emails, you just say you deleted the backup per your policy. If you don't have a policy, in effect you have to keep them forever.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Fine. Then subpoena them from the other ends. Let see how well all of the relevant departments retention is working.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
i vehemently disagree. the esteemed administration has more of a "i didnt know about it until i saw it on the news" problem
Mixed with a bit of perhaps a problem of , "and what are you going to do about it, America? We're the freakin' government."

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
I just thinking if obama was allowed to run again would he get elected again? After reading this thread at the corruption that surrounds him I just don't think it matters to at least 50 percent of Americans. They would vote for him no matter what.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
I just thinking if obama was allowed to run again would he get elected again? After reading this thread at the corruption that surrounds him I just don't think it matters to at least 50 percent of Americans. They would vote for him no matter what.
Not a chance. He doesn't get elected in 08 or 12 without the white lib vote. Most libs I personally know attack him from the left - he's been more of the same when he promised fundamental change. If given a second chance, I think their vote goes to Hil, and almost certainly will in 16.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Well, he is as black now as he was in 2008, so yeah, I'd bet most O-bots would vote for him again without a second thought. And most likely, without a first thought.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.