IRS unable to produce emails to Congress

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Koskinen testified that he learned there was a problem with Lois Lerner's emails in February; and someone -- he says he doesn't remember who -- told him in April that an untold number of Lois Lerner's emails had disappeared.

Officials at the Treasury Department and the White House also learned about the Lerner's vanished emails in April -- but Koskinen says he has no idea who at the IRS told them about it.

Koskinen waited until June 13 to tell Congress -- in that seven-page report.

Under questioning by Jordan, Koskinen said he did not tell his agency's own inspector general about the emails when he found out they were missing; nor did he tell the Justice Department, even though the House Ways and Means Committee has referred Lerner for criminal prosecution.
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/sus...what-point-does-it-become-obstruction-justice

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
If nothing else, this whole escapade should at least initiate a new era in IRS policing. They never ever have the right to penalize someone for losing their records. And that is assuming the absolute very best in this whole scenario.

It still feels like the IRS is saying, "Yeah we covered stuff up. Yeah we deleted electronic records. Yeah we're lying about it. But, really, what are you going to do about it? I mean, we're the freakin' IRS."

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Again, there's no way that they do not have an archival plan, and either a disaster recovery or business continuity plan. Or at the very least, a half-decent backup strategy. No way. And I should know.
I think they're using their back-up strategy, and it's going to work - scream if you want, but at the end of the day no one will be held accountable and we all know it. I'm afraid that we are seeing the results of unchecked Federalism. The last few administrations have shown that although we could them squirm, we couldn't make them stop. Now it's to the point that they don't even squirm. They swagger.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
That's an amazing coincidence!
Again, there's no way that they do not have an archival plan, and either a disaster recovery or business continuity plan. Or at the very least, a half-decent backup strategy. No way. And I should know.
I agree with both of these statements.

However, again just to be completely fair. I have had a few issues with Sonasoft (the archiving company they said they used) before. Their stubbing software actually modifies the email store on the server instead of just creating an archive. The software actually goes into the Exchange server store and removes attachments from emails and replaces them with a link to their own store to reduce load and storage on the actual Exchange server. If you were not careful when doing away with them you could lose emails and especially their attachments. I can see a case where getting rid of an archiving company (especially that one) without doing it right could have caused data loss.

Multiple client drives crashing nearly simultaneously reeks of a cover up. Couple that with a premature storage retirement. One would think heads would have rolled. Sooner or later they are going to have to blame someone specific for losing the data. That will be interesting.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
However, again just to be completely fair. I have had a few issues with Sonasoft (the archiving company they said they used) before. Their stubbing software actually modifies the email store on the server instead of just creating an archive. The software actually goes into the Exchange server store and removes attachments from emails and replaces them with a link to their own store to reduce load and storage on the actual Exchange server. If you were not careful when doing away with them you could lose emails and especially their attachments. I can see a case where getting rid of an archiving company (especially that one) without doing it right could have caused data loss.
I agree with you mostly. My concern is, that as a government entity, that they only had one way to recover something that was missing? Or that their retention policy was that short-term? And Exchange 2010 and 2013 are quite flexible already, with the use of clustering, DAGs, etc. My point is that they have little to no excuse. I mean, if the IRS needed me to produce documents, wouldn't I be accountable to produce? Would saying "Um, I lost that" cut it? Methinks not.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I agree with you mostly. My concern is, that as a government entity, that they only had one way to recover something that was missing? Or that their retention policy was that short-term? And Exchange 2010 and 2013 are quite flexible already, with the use of clustering, DAGs, etc. My point is that they have little to no excuse. I mean, if the IRS needed me to produce documents, wouldn't I be accountable to produce? Would saying "Um, I lost that" cut it? Methinks not.
I agree, there should have been a few heads rolling round back then. One would think they would immediately point to the 'skulls'.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Koskinen testified on June 23 that “The responsibility is, if you have an email that’s a record, you print it out in hard copy . . . My understanding is every employee is supposed to print records . . . that are official records on hard copy and keep them. She had hard copy records.”

But a week later Lerner’s attorney Bill Taylor essentially threw the IRS under the bus to defend his client. Taylor released a series of statements to a Virginia-based publication stating that Lerner did not know she was supposed to comply with federal law.

“Lerner did not print out official records she may have sent over email because she didn’t know she had to,” Taylor said. “If somebody is supposed to keep archived copies, that’s the IT department’s or her staff’s responsibility.”
http://dailycaller.com/2014/07/02/i...ontradicted-your-testimony-want-to-try-again/

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Koskinen testified on June 23 that “The responsibility is, if you have an email that’s a record, you print it out in hard copy . . . My understanding is every employee is supposed to print records . . . that are official records on hard copy and keep them. She had hard copy records.”

But a week later Lerner’s attorney Bill Taylor essentially threw the IRS under the bus to defend his client. Taylor released a series of statements to a Virginia-based publication stating that Lerner did not know she was supposed to comply with federal law.

“Lerner did not print out official records she may have sent over email because she didn’t know she had to,” Taylor said. “If somebody is supposed to keep archived copies, that’s the IT department’s or her staff’s responsibility.”
Only the government, in 2014, would require paper backup of electronic documents.:rolleye2:

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
Only the government, in 2014, would require paper backup of electronic documents.:rolleye2:
Here, inside the caverns of an old Pennsylvania limestone mine, there are 600 employees of the Office of Personnel Management. Their task is nothing top-secret. It is to process the retirement papers of the government’s own workers.

But that system has a spectacular flaw. It still must be done entirely by hand, and almost entirely on paper.

The employees here pass thousands of case files from cavern to cavern and then key in retirees’ personal data, one line at a time. They work underground not for secrecy but for space. The old mine’s tunnels have room for more than 28,000 file cabinets of paper records.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/2014/03/22/sinkhole-of-bureaucracy/

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
SIAP and I haven't checked the math on this, but...

The odds of winning the Florida lottery are 1 in 22,957,480.

The odds of winning the Powerball is 1 in 175,223,510.

The odds of winning Mega Millions is 1 in 258,890,850.

The odds of a disk drive failing in any given month are roughly one in 36. The odds of two different drives failing in the same month are roughly one in 36 squared, or 1 in about 1,300. The odds of three drives failing in the same month is 36 cubed or 1 in 46,656.

The odds of seven different drives failing in the same month (like what happened at the IRS when they received a letter asking about emails targeting conservative and pro Israeli groups) is 37 to the 7th power = 1 in 78,664,164,096 (that’s over 78 Billion).

In other words, the odds are greater that you will win the Florida Lottery 342 times than having those seven IRS hard drives crashing in the same month.

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
I wonder when people are going to get tired of calling for prison sentences and instead just start heating up the tar and gathering feathers.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Taylor said in a statement on Wednesday that the remarks are “not entirely accurate, probably due to a misunderstanding.” However, he told The Washington Post that he was not misquoted in the report.

Instead, Taylor said he meant to indicate that Lerner printed out some, but not all, of her e-mails. “During [Lerner's] tenure as director of Exempt Organizations, she did print out some e-mails, although not every one of the thousands she sent and received,” he said in his statement.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...w-says-former-irs-official-saved-some-e-mails

Apparently, Lerner does have some copies of emails that she didn't have.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
SIAP and I haven't checked the math on this, but...
In other words, the odds are greater that you will win the Florida Lottery 342 times than having those seven IRS hard drives crashing in the same month.
This statement seems to confuse multiplication with using an exponent. Winning the Florida lottery just twice is much more unlikely than even nine such hard drive failures.

7 drive failures: (1/36)^7 = 1 in 78,364,164,096
9 drive failures: (1/36)^9 = 1 in 101,559,956,668,416

Florida lottery: (1/22,957,480) = 1 in 22,957,480
Florida lottery twice: (1/22,957,480)^2 = 1 in 527,045,887,950,400
Florida lottery 342 times: (1/22,957,480)^342 = 1 in some number with 2518 digits.

To reach this level of improbability would take 1618 such hard drive failures
1618 hard drive failures: (1/36)^1618 = 1 in some number with 2519 digits

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.