TE Jalen Harris Commits to Auburn

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Alabama offered on June 3 while he was at a camp. He returned to town Thursday after Jackson Harris committed to UGA. Many thought he would leave Tuscaloosa after committing to Saban and Company. He didn't. He went back to Montgomery and attended an Auburn camp yesterday. His 247 Crystal Ball took a big swing towards Alabama Thursday; it went from 100% Auburn to 80% Alabama.

A recap of his Tuscaloosa visit is here.

Montgomery tight end Jalen Harris was on commitment watch when he recently made a trip to Tuscaloosa to visit the University of Alabama, but the visit wasn't to commit.

"I had gotten a couple of texts and people were wondering if I was going to commit," said Harris, a St. James standout listed at 6-foot-5 and 244 pounds. "It wasn't because of that. I just wanted to get my dad to come up and see everything."

Harris earned his Alabama offer last week, and then got more offers from LSU and Vanderbilt. He spent the night in Tuscaloosa this week, and had his parents along for the ride.

"I just wanted to get my parents down, especially my dad," Harris said. "He got a chance to see all the new stuff Alabama has to offer. He hadn't really had a chance to talk to Coach (Nick) Saban. My mom had been down there twice, three times and she's had a chance to see everything. I just wanted my dad to get a feel for everything."
247 Profile

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: St. James Academy (Montgomery) TE Jalen Harris Updates (Alabama Offers)

Harris tweeted his top 5 earlier today.

For those in Montgomery, he's going to be on the WSFA 10:00 news tonight.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Jalen is announcing this coming Tuesday at 6 p.m. Link

Jalen Harris is ready to announce his college decision.

The St. James School tight end tweeted Wednesday night that he'll be announcing his college decision next Tuesday at 6 p.m. at his high school. Harris announced a top five this past Sunday of Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Miami and Vanderbilt.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

Like our chances with this one!

Sent from my Verizon LG G2 4G

drsmithofga

1st Team
Dec 7, 2004

He has Phillip Lutzenkirchen in his ear as a new assistant coach.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

He has Phillip Lutzenkirchen in his ear as a new assistant coach.
I wouldn't worry about that too much. He grew up an Alabama fan, so I doubt Lutz matters in this particular case.

Of his 27 Crystal Ball projections on 247, only two say Auburn, and they were made in October and November. Everyone else says Alabama.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

All signs generally point to Alabama, but you never know until it happens.

Will say this on Harris, though, regardless of where he ends up, I can't help but like the kid in a lot of ways. As a fervent believer in the notion that there are two kinds of people in this world, namely those who get it and those who don't, Harris gets it.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

Sounds like if he wanted to wait to commit until his dad had a chance to see Tuscaloosa,that is a pretty good sign. Will he be more of a receiver/TE (OJ Howard) or more of a blocking TE (Michael Williams)?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Jalen announces tonight on WSFA in Montgomery during the 6:00 news cast. I understood WSFA to say during the sports segment, which is around 6:20ish.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

The recruiting guys on al.com pick Jalen to Alabama. Link

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Just noticed on Harris' 247 page, the BOL guys have flipped their picks from Alabama to Auburn.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

I do like the fact that his parents took a good look at Alabama though. Sounds like the kid and his family are really putting some thought into this decision.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL

Just noticed on Harris' 247 page, the BOL guys have flipped their picks from Alabama to Auburn.
Uh-oh, don't really like auburn potentially beating Alabama out head-to-head twice in a day. What's up with the change in prediction I wonder?

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

Uh-oh, don't really like auburn potentially beating Alabama out head-to-head twice in a day. What's up with the change in prediction I wonder?
auburn was able to convinced him to come back to visit again after his trip to Tuscaloosa. despite some people feeling he was a Bama lean, I never felt he was a lock. Bama fan or not, these kids are going to do what they are going to do. I could be wrong, but he is auburn bound. Truth be told, I won't be upset if he does either. he's a solid player who has shot up recently due to his camp performances, but Bama has a great TE in the fold and some others on the list that would be a good fit in our system. either way good luck to the young man.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Commits to Auburn as we expected earlier today.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn

Man I remember just a few years ago when we were all upset at losing a target like this kid. My have things have changed, oh well good luck to him except of course against Bama. Bring on the next guy.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Phffffff

We'll get an even better one! :cool2:

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL

Well, with Carr, I wouldn't count that as a "loss". He was all AU all along, legacy, etc. Not sure you lose something that you never had, no matter how the media tends to portray some of their commits ("picked Auburn over Alabama"). LOL

Harris on the other hand, I don't get. Can anyone name a tight end that AU has heavily utilized since Lutzenkirchen, which was under Chizik?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.