TE Jalen Harris Commits to Auburn

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: St. James Academy (Montgomery) TE Jalen Harris Updates (Alabama Offers)

Well, with Carr, I wouldn't count that as a "loss". He was all AU all along, legacy, etc. Not sure you lose something that you never had, no matter how the media tends to portray some of their commits ("picked Auburn over Alabama"). LOL

Harris on the other hand, I don't get. Can anyone name a tight end that AU has heavily utilized since Lutzenkirchen, which was under Chizik?
CJ Uzomah is Auburn's TE now. They use him some but were limited last year by Marshall's passing.

Even after Harris' visit to Auburn a few weekends ago, folks predicted Alabama. Something caused the predictions to change back to Auburn this weekend. I don't want to insinuate anything fishy happened because I have no reason to believe something did.

It is what it is. If the staff wants him, they'll continue to recruit him. If they don't, they'll put the heat on Will Gragg out of Arkansas along with some other prospects.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL

So we move on to a higher rated out of state player. I'm always cool with that. Coach knows what he's doing.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Gus probably said: Alabama has a great tight end for the next two years. We don't and we're planning to pass more in the future.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

Gus probably said: Alabama has a great tight end for the next two years. We don't and we're planning to pass more in the future.
quicker playing time is definitely a huge draw with these kids. we have a huge back log of TEs at Bama ( OJ will be a sophomore, Vogler a returning senior, Freitag, Faciane, Brandon Greene) and Hengtes will be arriving in 2015. that's a lot of bodies in front of you. Gus and crew whipped out our roster and that probably scare him to death. :biggrin2:

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

quicker playing time is definitely a huge draw with these kids. we have a huge back log of TEs at Bama ( OJ will be a sophomore, Vogler a returning senior, Freitag, Faciane, Brandon Greene) and Hengtes will be arriving on 2015. that's a lot of bodies in front of you. Gus and crew whipped out our roster and that probably scare him to death. :biggrin2:
When Harris gets on campus, OJ will be a junior (most likely gone after next season). Vogler will be gone. Faciane, a non-contributor thus far, will be a senior. Tyler Flournoy-Smith will be a senior or gone to the NFL. Greene and Freitag will be juniors.

If Jalen believed anything told to him about our depth chart, he needs some help.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Talk about an absolute 180 in the closing hours that came out of nowhere, this is it. We haven't seen anything quite like this since Spencer Region.

Seems like a strange decision, facially, given how poorly Auburn has utilized C.J. Uzomah at the tight end position. That said, though, I think this is just further evidence in the notion that I've been advancing for a while now, which is that the offense Malzahn intends to utilize in the years ahead really doesn't closely resemble what he ran last year. I think you are going to see a more balanced attack from them in the years ahead, and there will be a greater emphasis on passing from within the pocket.

Either way, I'll certainly stand by what I said earlier about Harris. He seems like a fine young man, Auburn commitment or no, so best of luck to him.

Last edited:

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

I don't think this one will be decided definitely until signing day.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com

I wouldn't close the door on any tight end prospect until they have actually seen the Kiffin version of our offense. I don't think we utilized tight ends well at all the last two seasons but that was a different play caller. If our guys start racking up catches under Kiffin everyone will take another look.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I wouldn't close the door on any tight end prospect until they have actually seen the Kiffin version of our offense. I don't think we utilized tight ends well at all the last two seasons but that was a different play caller. If our guys start racking up catches under Kiffin everyone will take another look.
I agree nothing against this kid but we have the TE from Missouri already committed and the Gragg kid from Arkansas also has us high on list. Personally I would rather see us get him anyway.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I agree nothing against this kid but we have the TE from Missouri already committed and the Gregg kid from Arkansas also has us high on list. Personally I would rather see us get him anyway.
I agree on Gragg but he is a Arkansas legacy so it will be a tough pull. We have had good recent success in Ark so it would not shock me.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I agree on Gragg but he is a Arkansas legacy so it will be a tough pull. We have had good recent success in Ark so it would not shock me.
3-9 will do that to you, so Gragg is still in play. If Arkansas were humming along like they were circa 2009-2010 under Petrino, then I imagine there is no way that Gragg would leave the state, but obviously that's not the case.

You have to figure that Arkansas will (probably) be a tad bit better this season, but the upside appears to be quite limited. They've likely got a loss coming on the OOC schedule against Texas Tech, and they will be an underdog in every SEC game that they play (even MSU). Even 5-7 might be a bit a real stretch, so to say that any kid like Gragg has to turn down a lot to go into an especially bad situation is a huge understatement. The state of Arkansas recruiting right now is essentially where Alabama was in 2002-2003, and with another long year likely coming, they can't even offer coaching stability because Bielema is going to be on the hotseat.

All that to say this: Gregg won't be an easy pull, but he's still a viable target. Arkansas legacy hurts us, of course, but then again the ol' Arkansas legacy doesn't mean much right now. You've really got to bleed school colors to turn down national powers to go into a situation where your chosen school is coming off of, say, an 8-16 record the past two years with a coach who might not last past your true freshman season.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Hmmmm.

Perhaps this should become a new thread and kill this one off.....:cool2:

:biggrin2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.