What We and Everybody Else Can Learn From the San Antonio Spurs

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Now let's talk about what the Spurs can learn from Alabama: after blowing the big game (2010 Iron Bowl in our case, championship last year in theirs), you show what you're all about by winning the next TWO titles.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
As far as stats and being the most talented guy on his team/affecting the game it's comparable but there is one huge difference that separates 'equal-ness'. Jordan isn't just the GOAT from an offensive and defensive complete player standpoint...he's the most CLUTCH player ever. Never mind the countless times he carried his team to victory....he had 22 game winning walk off shots at over a 50% accuracy. Lebron has 14 right now around 40% accuracy and Kobe has 28....but he's only about 30% accurate. I'd say LeBron vs Kobe is an interesting debate but Jordan is in a league unto himself.
Jordan is unquestionably the most clutch athlete I've ever seen. Based on those numbers, though, it looks like Lebron could catch up with him in the number of walk-off shots. That's strange because Lebron never struck me as a buzzer-beater guy. Also, are those regular season and playoffs or just playoffs?

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
As far as stats and being the most talented guy on his team/affecting the game it's comparable but there is one huge difference that separates 'equal-ness'. Jordan isn't just the GOAT from an offensive and defensive complete player standpoint...he's the most CLUTCH player ever. Never mind the countless times he carried his team to victory....he had 22 game winning walk off shots at over a 50% accuracy. Lebron has 14 right now around 40% accuracy and Kobe has 28....but he's only about 30% accurate. I'd say LeBron vs Kobe is an interesting debate but Jordan is in a league unto himself.
It's regular season and playoffs combined. Lebron could catch up on total shots but it's the % that's amazing. At the same % rate Lebron would have to be 22/55 at 40% to catch MJ....so it would have taken MJ 12-13 less Clutch attempts for the same amount of 22 buzzer beater walk-offs. Kobe is the real shocking one because he's been compared to MJ forever but he misses far more than he makes even though he has the most at 28 winners....but it does play into he selfish just 'jack-it-up' reputation.

Jordan is unquestionably the most clutch athlete I've ever seen. Based on those numbers, though, it looks like Lebron could catch up with him in the number of walk-off shots. That's strange because Lebron never struck me as a buzzer-beater guy. Also, are those regular season and playoffs or just playoffs?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Why must he be compared to MJ? Because MJ's the greatest? Lebron is the best player in the world. No one can dispute that.

The immediate talk of Lebron's future and how he'll never be MJ is stupid. It completely ignores the job the Spurs did. Folks got upset because ABC went to Colt McCoy immediately after the game in 2010 rather than interviewing Bama players and celebrating the win. That's what is happening with people constantly discussing Lebron rather than the Spurs.
1st - He may be the most naturally gifted -- but if LJ is the "Best Player in the World" where would you rank Leonard? Because he was the best player in the series -- when it was all on the line -- and I doubt anyone would rank Duncan, Parker and Genobili (sp?) -- as Top 10 talent anymore --

The Spurs were great -- but "talent wise" do the Spurs compare to the Bulls team (Three Peat 1 or 2 Team?), do they compare to the (Olajuwon, Drexler, Horry) Rockets?, do they compare to the Isiah, Dumars, Lambeer Pistons?, do they compare to the Kobe/Shaq Laker teams?, the Bird/McHale Celtics?, the Malone/Erving/Toney Sixers? ---

I don't think the Spurs team ranks anywhere near any of those teams -- and if they don't -- then how can you say Lebron (who got smoked this year with the Heat, and should have lost last year) -- can be anywhere near Jordan in talent, results, or desire --

Jordan was the highest paid player in the NBA, but he played the game like he was a rookie trying to make the team --

Lebron plays like he's going to get paid either way, win or lose --

What sold it for me was in game 4 -- Spurs destroying them on their home court -- and LJ and Wade are laughing on the sidelines --

Jordan would either have been in the game fighting until the end, OR sitting on the sidelines planning what he needed to do to turn it around in Game 5

Second of all -- how is it stupid? It's logical to wonder -- to debate -- to compare --

Too soon? Maybe -- Stupid? -- nah

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I don't think it's really debatable as to who the best player in the league is. It's LeBron, hands down.
But last night looked like a five on one pickup game. LeBron had very very little help from anybody after the first six minutes. As good as he is individually he can't beat a very intelligent and fundamentally sound basketball team like the Spurs by himself--and last night that's pretty much what he was trying to do.
I'll give San Antonio all the credit rather than criticizing LeBron's performance. They played absolutely brilliant basketball this entire series. I think it was one of the all time great team performances ever.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I don't think it's really debatable as to who the best player in the league is. It's LeBron, hands down.
But last night looked like a five on one pickup game. LeBron had very very little help from anybody after the first six minutes. As good as he is individually he can't beat a very intelligent and fundamentally sound basketball team like the Spurs by himself--and last night that's pretty much what he was trying to do.
I'll give San Antonio all the credit rather than criticizing LeBron's performance. They played absolutely brilliant basketball this entire series. I think it was one of the all time great team performances ever.
Agreed. Team effort beat the best individual player. SA worked extremely well togther; I think they averaged 25+ assists in their wins which probably accounted for almost half of their baskets made. LeBron led his team in almost every statistical category (including minutes played) in almost every game. He wasn't the reason the Heat lost. The way the Spurs played and lack of secondary help are the reasons the Heat lost. Just like our game against LSU in the Superdome, I think it was evident, the Spurs were more focused and "into" the series/game than the Heat were and they won almost as convincingly as we did (revenge/redemption is a great motivator).

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Agreed. Team effort beat the best individual player. SA worked extremely well togther; I think they averaged 25+ assists in their wins which probably accounted for almost half of their baskets made. LeBron led his team in almost every statistical category (including minutes played) in almost every game. He wasn't the reason the Heat lost. The way the Spurs played and lack of secondary help are the reasons the Heat lost. Just like our game against LSU in the Superdome, I think it was evident, the Spurs were more focused and "into" the series/game than the Heat were and they won almost as convincingly as we did (revenge/redemption is a great motivator).
Agree with you and Sip, and I will add Popovich is the best coach in the business.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
But Sip, can you be the best if you can't even motivate your own team?

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
LeBron is Peyton Manning. Everything about him looks & feels like the making of a GOAT candidate. Then you start looking at rings....and you start making excuses about his teammates and how they let him down. MJ, Larry, Magic.....they willed their teams to win. Their teammates played better because these superstars willed them to.

IMHO this is why LBJ loses the GOAT argument every time.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
But Sip, can you be the best if you can't even motivate your own team?
That's (one of the area's) where I draw the line as well. Lebron doesn't inspire the love of the fans or his team like Jordan did. The Heat, including Lebron about half the time, were flat as a tire. Lebron had some amazing runs but the other half of the time he looked exhausted. Part of that is Spoelestra's fault but at times he looked like he didn't want it but he wanted to want it. Say what you will about the lack of help, but the team feeds off the energy of its best player. I've always thought Lebron deferred the leadership role to Wade.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
lol, wut?
Lebron has four years on MJ at his age because Lebron skipped college and never left to play baseball. I'm saying that if Jordan had never left the game, he might've had seven or eight consecutive championships. I don't think anyone would've beaten the Jackson-coached Bulls. Also, Jordan won a championship in college (he hit a buzzer-beating three to win it if I'm not mistaken). But no one ever mentions that when talking about his legacy.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
People don't like Lebron because he's a feminine hygiene product the size of Jupiter. It took me a while to admit that he is as good as he is, Jordan being my boyhood hero, but for the most part he's deserving of the praise he's given.

One thing that is never mentioned with Jordan in regards to his legacy is that Lebron has four additional years in the NBA in regards to his age. Jordan left NC after his sophomore year and took a year off to play baseball, then came back in the middle of the 95 season. If not for the latter excursion, he may have won seven or eight (consecutive) championships instead of three-peating twice. Also Jordan is a seven-time champion--one of them came in college.

He left after his junior year not sophomore year. He played an UNC from 1981-1984.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
LeBron is Peyton Manning. Everything about him looks & feels like the making of a GOAT candidate. Then you start looking at rings....and you start making excuses about his teammates and how they let him down. MJ, Larry, Magic.....they willed their teams to win. Their teammates played better because these superstars willed them to.

You are right about MJ since he was 6-0 in the finals but Larry lost 3 times in the finals and Magic 4 times (albeit to each other at times).

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014

Lebron will finish his career with more championships than Larry. He already has as many Finals MVP awards. While Lebron has sometimes underperformed in the Finals, he's been outstanding in the playoffs in general. Peyton has a mind-boggling number of first-round exits. During his last two Super Bowl runs, his teams cake-walked through the AFC because it was a weak conference. You can't compare Lebron's playoff success to Peyton's.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
Lebron still has a shot to become the best ever but he isnt as of now..hands down the best in the league currently though. whats ironic is the reason he left Cleveland is the same reason Miami lost in the finals this year.

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
There was no real competition for the Jordan Bull teams - they beat an aging Laker team (after Magic pulled up in game one with a hamstring), Portland and Phoenix, Seattle and the Jazz twice. Had the Pistons not gotten older, I am not sure they ever would have overcome Daly's Bruisers.

Jordan simply never had a rival - like Bird and Magic, Russell and Wilt, even a Duncan-Lebron type thing.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
There was no real competition for the Jordan Bull teams - they beat an aging Laker team (after Magic pulled up in game one with a hamstring), Portland and Phoenix, Seattle and the Jazz twice. Had the Pistons not gotten older, I am not sure they ever would have overcome Daly's Bruisers.

Jordan simply never had a rival - like Bird and Magic, Russell and Wilt, even a Duncan-Lebron type thing.
No competition?? Dude you are kidding right? Except for that 1991 Lakers final they faced the #1 Western Conference team in 5 out of the 6 Finals. But...That was an awesome 1991 Pistons team still they had to get by and it's because MJ bulked up and they finally put the pieces together.

They lost to the Pistons the year before in a 7 game Eastern Finals classic. '92 Portland was awesome with Clyde the Glide Drexler, '93 Phoenix was ridiculous good and Barkley was MVP that season. '96 Seattle had a franchise record year with Shawn Kemp leading them and those '97-'98 Utah Teams with Malone and Stockton?!?? Get out of here with that mess. The Bulls played the best there was to play and flat beat them. It was no cake walk.

They did overcome the Badboys too...after losing in 6 and 7 games in '89 and '90 they took them out in '91. It wasn't just because of 'aging' either. They made it a mission to beat them. That 1991 Pistons team would have 3-peated if they could have beaten the Bulls and then played the Lakers.

You are completely not giving Jordan and the Bulls enough credit. They were dominate but not from lack of fierce competitor. Of course Jordan didn't have a rival...put him in any era and he'd still never have a rival....he's in his own stratosphere of greatness.

Last edited:

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014

And who the heck is Lebron's rival? The youngster Durant, who, in my opinion, still doesn't "get it" (I'm hoping he will soon). Or is it 38-year-old Tim Duncan? Or Kwahi Leonard? Or is it Paul George? Except for Durant, none of those guys come close to the competition Jordan faced, and we haven't seen Durant's best yet--not even close.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.