What We and Everybody Else Can Learn From the San Antonio Spurs

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
We and the rest of the college football world can learn a lot from the San Antonio Spurs.

The rest of the world needs to know that the same things win today that always did. The offense du jour is just that -- the best way for an outmanned team to upset a better team. In my lifetime, the wishbone had it for a while. Then defenses adjusted. The finesse passing game had it, and defenses adjusted. The HUNH has it today, and defenses are adjusting.

Meanwhile, a fundamentally sound team that is unselfish and plays with unity and purpose can beat a more talented team [this is important] in a series, not just one game.

For the portion of the college football world not residing in Tuscaloosa or Palo Alto, this is bad news. The clock is ticking on the advantages gained by sleight of hand, and the best minds in the game are accelerating that time frame.

The lesson for the Alabama fanbase is that, after reaching the requisite level of physical ability, six inches -- the distance from one ear to the other -- is the deciding factor.

In 2010 and 2013, there was not much question that we had the most talented team in the country. But we later learned that for a lot of reasons, stemming primarily from attitude, the talent didn't lead to performance. We have only to look east about 300 miles for the best example. For more than a decade, UGA has under-achieved its talent level to the point of being the poster child. The difference between UGA and us is that we performed mentally a whole lot more often than they have. That, and we have a more fundamentally sound approach to the game.

For the college football world: enjoy it guys. This won't last.

For Alabama fans: A four-star talent who believes beats a five-star who spends half his time looking in the mirror. Every time.

We don't need to change philosophies or approaches. We might need to change some 'tudes. Even some highly talented ones.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
We and the rest of the college football world can learn a lot from the San Antonio Spurs.

The rest of the world needs to know that the same things win today that always did. The offense du jour is just that -- the best way for an outmanned team to upset a better team. In my lifetime, the wishbone had it for a while. Then defenses adjusted. The finesse passing game had it, and defenses adjusted. The HUNH has it today, and defenses are adjusting.

Meanwhile, a fundamentally sound team that is unselfish and plays with unity and purpose can beat a more talented team [this is important] in a series, not just one game.

For the portion of the college football world not residing in Tuscaloosa or Palo Alto, this is bad news. The clock is ticking on the advantages gained by sleight of hand, and the best minds in the game are accelerating that time frame.

The lesson for the Alabama fanbase is that, after reaching the requisite level of physical ability, six inches -- the distance from one ear to the other -- is the deciding factor.

In 2010 and 2013, there was not much question that we had the most talented team in the country. But we later learned that for a lot of reasons, stemming primarily from attitude, the talent didn't lead to performance. We have only to look east about 300 miles for the best example. For more than a decade, UGA has under-achieved its talent level to the point of being the poster child. The difference between UGA and us is that we performed mentally a whole lot more often than they have. That, and we have a more fundamentally sound approach to the game.

For the college football world: enjoy it guys. This won't last.

For Alabama fans: A four-star talent who believes beats a five-star who spends half his time looking in the mirror. Every time.

We don't need to change philosophies or approaches. We might need to change some 'tudes. Even some highly talented ones.
Well said. I had a lot of similar thoughts also. Spurs and Patriots are the best run organizations around for a lot of the reasons you mentioned. I would like to think Bama is looked at in the same light on the college level.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
How could you not be reminded of the 2009 SECCG, with Lebron playing the role of Tebow? The Spurs thought about that Game 6 all year, and when it came time to avenge it, the Heat didn't have a chance. The Spurs smoked 'em, and if the basketball they played wasn't so incredible to behold, this series would've been a real bore. I remember in the fourth quarter of the SECCG, it seemed like people were just golf-clapping; the emotions were gone, and fans were simply appreciating what it's like to see a masterful performance.

I hate the Spurs, but they were more talented than the Heat in this series. Those offseason moves they made plus they got healthier as well, spelled disaster for the Heat. This is a good write up, but without Tim Duncan there would be no championships in S.A.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't really care for the NBA, but how can you not respect the Spurs? They have 3 of the top 10-15 players of the last decade, and the best head coach in the game right now. They know how to use depth off the bench to wear teams out, and they have learned how to leverage aging players throughout the game to maintain a calm, stead flow. And they are never in trouble. They just win games and go home to their families.

The NBA does not want the Spurs to win. They are boring and get horrible ratings. It is hard to say exactly what makes them great - the system, the coach or the players? I say this because they didn't win until they had all three together. It is kinda like Jackson's teams - there was so much talent on his teams that it was hard to give him or his system too much credit. But in every other way they were different. Jackson had prima donnas who all wanted the ball while Pop has well behaved team players who don't care who has the ball as long as they win.

I don't think that Jackson could win with Pop's talent, or Pop with Jackson's. You can't help but respect what each has done, but I just like Pop's approach so much more.

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
Those teams that learn to work together can get to another level that is almost impossible to beat.

This series showed you why LeBron will never be in Jordan's league.....ever
You can hate greatness but LeBron is in his league plus is a nicer person which may be holding him back.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Why must he be compared to MJ? Because MJ's the greatest? Lebron is the best player in the world. No one can dispute that.

Mack and I had this discussion last night on Twitter. Lebron knows he's great, but he also knows it takes a team to win. Thus, he went to Miami. Look at how he passes the ball rather than taking a contested shot. Is that because he's scared? Or because he knows his teammate has a better look? I'm going with the second option. The Lebron haters and MJ apologetics will go with the first.

He left Cleveland after having no team around him. He went to Miami to have a team. He didn't know Wade was going to become so injury prone.

The immediate talk of Lebron's future and how he'll never be MJ is stupid. It completely ignores the job the Spurs did. Folks got upset because ABC went to Colt McCoy immediately after the game in 2010 rather than interviewing Bama players and celebrating the win. That's what is happening with people constantly discussing Lebron rather than the Spurs.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Couple of thoughts...

2010 was as much about injuries as it was attitude. And frankly, we weren't all that healthy against Auburn in 2013.

UGA runs a good offensive scheme - that's not their issue. The issue, as you noted, is attitude more than anything else.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
More people should be talking about Tim Duncan...
I've been echoing this all last night and this morning online. Duncan has been an 'a' or 'the' centerpiece for all 5 Spurs Titles and hardly anyone is even talking about him. My first thought last night was..."Ha!...Duncan just tied Kobe for Titles".

As an aside I still can't believe that a vocal minority tries to make a case for Kobe or LeBron being anywhere remotely close to Michael Jordan. It's a joke of a 'debate'. He's clearly the best....much like Gretsky in Hockey.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Seems like there is a direct correlation in lack of tattoos and winning hardware. Education also seems important. :)
Not gonna lie I just chuckled a bit!! :) The two guys on Top have the College Degrees. Jordan went back and finished earning his from NC in 1986 and of course everyone should remember Duncan going to and graduating from Wake Forest. I'm a MAJOR Jordan and Bulls fan but I've always liked Duncan too....he's a class act all the way.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Lebron's not nearly as likeable or fun to watch as MJ was, but in terms of affecting a game, they're about equal. 30 points, 10 rebounds, and 5 assists in game 5, and they still lose by 17? Lebron's problem is that he cares way too much about his legacy and how he's perceived (he's got "Chosen One" tattooed on his back for Pete's sake), and I dare say his teammates don't love playing for him as much as Jordan's did.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
People don't like Lebron because he's a feminine hygiene product the size of Jupiter. It took me a while to admit that he is as good as he is, Jordan being my boyhood hero, but for the most part he's deserving of the praise he's given.

One thing that is never mentioned with Jordan in regards to his legacy is that Lebron has four additional years in the NBA in regards to his age. Jordan left NC after his sophomore year and took a year off to play baseball, then came back in the middle of the 95 season. If not for the latter excursion, he may have won seven or eight (consecutive) championships instead of three-peating twice. Also Jordan is a seven-time champion--one of them came in college.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Lebron's not nearly as likeable or fun to watch as MJ was, but in terms of affecting a game, they're about equal. 30 points, 10 rebounds, and 5 assists in game 5, and they still lose by 17? Lebron's problem is that he cares way too much about his legacy and how he's perceived (he's got "Chosen One" tattooed on his back for Pete's sake), and I dare say his teammates don't love playing for him as much as Jordan's did.
As far as stats and being the most talented guy on his team/affecting the game it's comparable but there is one huge difference that separates 'equal-ness'. Jordan isn't just the GOAT from an offensive and defensive complete player standpoint...he's the most CLUTCH player ever. Never mind the countless times he carried his team to victory....he had 22 game winning walk off shots at over a 50% accuracy. Lebron has 14 right now around 40% accuracy and Kobe has 28....but he's only about 30% accurate. I'd say LeBron vs Kobe is an interesting debate but Jordan is in a league unto himself.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.