Tony Gwynn passed away, Rest in Peace

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2009-07-10/talking-hitting-stan-musial-and-tony-gwynn
from a 1997 article interview with Musial and Gwynn

I could be riding high and saying, "I'm almost hitting .400, man.'' My mom and dad always used to tell me the best approach is just be humble. Be humble, go on about your business, do what you got to do and, when it's all said and done, you can look back and say, ''Hey, I gave it a great run," or "Hey, I didn't,'' or "Hey, I fell short," but as long as you prepare yourself every day to go out there and give it your absolute best effort to get it done, you can look at yourself in the mirror when it's over. That's the only way I can judge myself.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Dang......one of my favorite players too. :(

He always had that very unique vocal tenor when he talked...not sure if y'all noticed that too.

Rest in Peace Tony....

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I hope one kid reads about Gwynn's death and throws his dip in the trash and never touches it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
A sad day indeed. One of the bet pure hitters to play the game. Not since Ted Williams has anyone put as much time and effort into understanding how to hit a baseball.

RIP Tony Gywnn.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
There's a deadspin article about Gwynn I can't link because of the language. But, here's a quote from it.

It's easy to look at all of those batting titles, or his incredible averages against some of the most cerebral pitchers of his time—.444 against John Smoltz, .415 against Greg Maddux, .390 against Curt Schilling, .333 against Pedro Martinez, .303 against Tom Glavine—and assume that he was just outthinking them at the plate. (Unbelievable fact: in 366 plate appearances against those five, he struck out five times. Five.)
Others went after glory. Gwynn just got on base. And, as I saw someone quoted saying - "What you hoped Tony Gwynn was like, he was like."

RIP. Gone too soon.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
Every single stat I see about him makes my jaw drop more, and I saw him play for his entire career (thus, my jaw was already dropped pretty far). Just astounding. My fave stat: 19 consecutive seasons of .300+ batting avg. In my non-expert opinion, there was Tony Gwynn & Rod Carew close together; VERY far behind them stands all other hitters of my lifetime. (Context: Let's just say my time @ UA coincided with Coach Bryant's last 3 years, and that was after I transferred from juco. ;) )

And, as noted, a great guy to boot.

5.5...best cleats & field marking ever! (the hole between short & 3rd, where a large # of his hits were directed.

Tony Gwynn's cleats; note the 5.5 on the tongue.

A tribute to him on the field between short & 3rd last night. Pretty cool that this is in Detroit in my opinion.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.