Usa! Usa! Usa!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Looking back on it, our playing constant defense and not being able to maintain possession (with what I saw as a little thumb on the scales for Ghana) took a lot out of us. Dempsey just commented on how tired he was. OTOH, it took something out of Ghana as well. Their style takes a lot out of the legs. They were deeper, but, in the end, it didn't help them...

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Won't win it against Portugal... You give Ronaldo that many chances and we are in trouble. Got to be more aggressive. We did not look like the team I saw in qualifying.
i caught a bit of the npr review of the port/ger game on the drive home and it sounded like ronaldo was gimpy in today's loss and they lost another guy (pepe?)to a red card

this is one of those times i miss having cable.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
i caught a bit of the npr review of the port/ger game on the drive home and it sounded like ronaldo was gimpy in today's loss and they lost another guy (pepe?)to a red card
"With Pepe already off the field, another Portuguese defender joined him -- this time through injury rather than red card -- when Fabio Coentrao pulled up with what looked like a hamstring injury and departed on a stretcher."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/16/sport...-cup-germany-portugal-iran-nigeria-ghana-usa/

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Won't win it against Portugal... You give Ronaldo that many chances and we are in trouble. Got to be more aggressive. We did not look like the team I saw in qualifying.
Well, losing Altidore hurt mightily in maintaining possession. Johannson shows a lot of promise, but he's no Altidore. Also, Bradley simply did not play well. To me, he played timidly and tentatively. I personally think we match up better against Portugal. Ghana may just have better team speed than about any team in the tournament. Johannson has to get more comfortable, if Altidore can't go, and Bradley has to come out of his shell. The back four can't play much better. They just need some rest with longer offensive possessions...

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
Well, losing Altidore hurt mightily in maintaining possession. Johannson shows a lot of promise, but he's no Altidore. Also, Bradley simply did not play well. To me, he played timidly and tentatively. I personally think we match up better against Portugal. Ghana may just have better team speed than about any team in the tournament. Johannson has to get more comfortable, if Altidore can't go, and Bradley has to come out of his shell. The back four can't play much better. They just need some rest with longer offensive possessions...
We need to attack more against Portugal, and not depend so on Howard and the defense. The humidity benefitted Ghana imo, should not benefit Portugal.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
"With Pepe already off the field, another Portuguese defender joined him -- this time through injury rather than red card -- when Fabio Coentrao pulled up with what looked like a hamstring injury and departed on a stretcher."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/16/sport...-cup-germany-portugal-iran-nigeria-ghana-usa/
LOL! What a boner, proving you shouldn't mess around with other languages unless you really know them. "Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo wasn't lacking in effort but was as powerless as those around him to prevent Portugal being steamrollered by Der Mannschaft in Salvador." "Der" is the masculine article. "Mannschaft," as with all nouns ending in "schaft," like "Landschaft" (landscape) are all feminine, by grammatical rule.* ("Schaft" equates to our "scape," just as "heit" equates to "hood.") Therefore, it's really "die Mannschaft," although it's made up of a bunch of guys...

* "die" can turn into "der" in certain declensions, but I don't want to get too technical...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We need to attack more against Portugal, and not depend so on Howard and the defense. The humidity benefitted Ghana imo, should not benefit Portugal.
Have to agree. I don't think we had much choice after Altidore when down and it became obvious that we couldn't maintain possession, with the way the officials were calling the game. Towards the end, after we scored the second time, we started going out and picking them up earlier and playing active defense...

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
It's interesting. When it comes to sports, I find that I am most passionate about college football (the Tide in particular). Its the only sport that can affect my emotions and mood.

I've tried to get in to the professional sports, but nothing gets me quite as jacked to watch.

However, I find that World Cup soccer triggers many of the same emotional highs and lows as college football. The Olympics - not so much. I find myself engrossed and intensely interested in every Team USA match.

That said, I'm glad we beat Ghana. Maybe that will help us get over the hump and advance though it will be difficult.

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
It's interesting. When it comes to sports, I find that I am most passionate about college football (the Tide in particular). Its the only sport that can affect my emotions and mood.

I've tried to get in to the professional sports, but nothing gets me quite as jacked to watch.

However, I find that World Cup soccer triggers many of the same emotional highs and lows as college football. The Olympics - not so much. I find myself engrossed and intensely interested in every Team USA match.

That said, I'm glad we beat Ghana. Maybe that will help us get over the hump and advance though it will be difficult.
It is time for Al Michaels to call a "Miracle on Grass"

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

It won't be pretty, but we do have a chance...

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Good game. I watched the first part with my b-i-l who was in Erlanger Hospital ER. Dempsey's goal was a gem. USA's second goal coming from a set piece was brilliant. On to Portugal w/o Pepe who obviously completely lost his head in the game v. Germany today.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
It's interesting. When it comes to sports, I find that I am most passionate about college football (the Tide in particular). ...However, I find that World Cup soccer triggers many of the same emotional highs and lows as college football.
So be sure you shout out every US success as Gooooalabama!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The US squad went into the game with an offensive strategy in mind according to interviews the night before. After the early goal, they decided to pull back and play like they did against Italy 2 years ago. The US won 1-0 by playing this type of box defense (though they pressed Italy in the corners, where they seemed to give Ghana too much space).

But the key to that defense is having the risk of counter-attack to keep an offense from committing everyone to the attack. When the US lost Altidore, they lost their speed. He is the only burner that the US team has - a player who can leave the other team in his wake as he brings the ball up the field before passing off to one of our strikers.

That is why Ghana had so much success against the US - they were not afraid of the US counter. The US now has to score off of set plays run off of free kicks and corners. This is the strength of this team, but they will get few chances if they play as poorly in the midfield as they did against Ghana. That was mostly a result of their choice to keep Bradley back on defense, but it could have, and probably should have, cost the US that game.

Defensively, I don't think that the US will play soft on the edge again. It can work against Ghana without a dominant striker, but not against Portugal or Germany.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Defensively, I don't think that the US will play soft on the edge again.
Alas, so long as DaMarcus Beasley's in at left back, it's like playing not one but two men down on defense. You might as well be running Student Body Left at a 12-year-old school crossing guard. Or to mix a sports metaphor, having Beasley's inept defensive self in the lineup is like asking Hoyt Wilhelm not only to be your starting pitcher but to throw a complete game and beat the opponent with his fastball.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Alas, so long as DaMarcus Beasley's in at left back, it's like playing not one but two men down on defense. You might as well be running Student Body Left at a 12-year-old school crossing guard. Or to mix a sports metaphor, having Beasley's inept defensive self in the lineup is like asking Hoyt Wilhelm not only to be your starting pitcher but to throw a complete game and beat the opponent with his fastball.
Perhaps, but Asamoah was on the other side of the field and the US left him alone all night long. He ate the US squad up. I understand that he is Ghana's best player but there was no attempt to challenge his possessions.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
we probably don't have to beat them.

if we can tie Portugal and Germany we can get through.
I can see the US beating Portugal if Ronaldo is hurting - should at least get a tie. If Ronaldo is healthy and the US doesn't have Altidore back the BEST that we can hope for is a tie, IMO.

The US will probably get smoked by Germany.

Assuming a tie (with Portugal beating Ghana) and a loss to Germany, it comes down to goal differential. The US won by one goal and Portugal lost by 4 - big edge to the US squad right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.