Urban Meyer: 08 Gators, best team to ever play

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I did see the 1971 Nebraska team, and there is no doubt in my mind they were the best ever. First, they defeated an awesome Oklahoma team that year, plus they manhandled a very good Alabama team. We had no shot against that team on that night. Remember also, they were National Champs the previous year as well.
They were indeed a force but IMO had 1983 NU beat (not tied) Miami than they probably would overshadow the '71 Huskers simply because they we getting the GOAT talk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
The GOAT....that never was;

1.1983 Nebraska
2.1986 Miami
3.1992 Miami
4.1995 Florida
5. 2002 Miami
6. 2003 Oklahoma
7. 2005 USC
9. 2011 LSU
10. 2012 Notre Dame...just because they are Notre Dame ;)

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Here's my top five...

1. Bama 66
2. Ohio State 68
3. Nebraska 71
3. Oklahoma 71
4. Nebraska 95

The Bama missing ring team was the best football team I ever watched. Started the season ranked number one, went 11-0,beat Nebraska 34-7 in the Sugar Bowl, and became the only team in NCAA history to be ranked number one in the pre-season, go undefeated and untied, and not win the championship, finishing third behind Notre Dame and Michigan State, both with 9-0-1 records.
We gave up 37 points for the season and shut out our last five opponents. Stabler led an offense with wide receivers Ray Perkins and Dennis Homan.
The punt return team gave up less than a foot a return.
There's never been a football team like that one. They were beyond incredible.
Vince Lombardi, after winning the Super Bowl, was asked, "Is this the best team ever?".
His reply was, "I don't know, we haven't played Alabama yet." That team was that good.
Ohio State in 1968 was a juggernaut. Led by Jack Tatum, they rolled over everybody.
In their classic matchup against Michigan they won 50-14.
Then they beat USC 27-16 in the Rose Bowl to claim the national title.
Nebraska 71 was what Coach Bryant called, "The best team I've ever seen" after they destroyed his undefeated Bama team 38-6 in the Orange Bowl. They were simply too big and fast.
Oklahoma lost 35-34 to Nebraska in the final regular season game of 71,their only loss, and then went to the Sugar Bowl and wiped a 10-1 Pat Sullivan led Auburn off the map, 40-22.
They averaged 45 points per game, and Greg Pruitt averaged 9.4 yards per carry.
Nebraska behind Tommy Frazier beat a Steve Spurrier Florida team 62-24.
That speaks for itself.
When I think about all time greatest teams, I think about dominance, and these are the most dominant teams I can recall.
sip
ps--I'd have no problem flipping 2 and 3 but Bama 66 was the best ever.

Last edited:

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Wasn't the 08 Gata team the "superlative of all excellence," or was that the 09 team?
Whichever, we all would surely agree that the Congresswoman's speech praising them just has to be the GOAT in terms of politicans giving speeches praising sports teams. ;)

ICYMI back then, or if you just need a reminder/chuckle.
The subtitles kill me. Hilarious every time.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
For some reason this keeps getting lost in translation so I'll have to say it again. Urban wasn't talking about the most talented team. He was talking about the best team. A team is more than the sum of it's players. It's everything. Players, staff, heck even the trainers & S&C coaches who help prepare those players.

Regardless, 2001 Miami has 1 sure fire NFL HOFer. Ed Reed.

Portis isn't getting in, neither is Winslow, Shockey McKinney, Vilma etc. None of those guys are preparing HOF speeches. They were all great NFL players at one time or another, but calling them HOF material is a stretch.

Even Andre Johnson is a bit of a long shot. Tim Brown isn't even in the NFL HOF. Yes that Tim Brown. The guy who did this:

NFL rookie-season record for most combined yards gained, with 2,317 (1988).
NFL record 10 consecutive seasons with at least 75 receptions
NFL record for consecutive seasons with at least 5 touchdowns scored (11) - shared with Marvin Harrison, Don Hutson, Cris Carter, Terrell Owens, & Jerry Rice
NFL record for being the oldest player ever to score a touchdown on special teams - (35 years, 140 days) 85-yard punt return
NFL record for most consecutive games with more than one reception (147 games, 1993–2002)
NFL record for being the oldest player with 12+ receptions in a single game - (36 years, 97 days): 10/27/02 @ KC Chiefs, 13 receptions, 144 receiving yards
NFL record for consecutive starts by a wide receiver: 176
Only player to have 1,600 receiving yards against four different teams (Broncos, Chiefs, Chargers, Seahawks)
Holds the following team records with the Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders:
Games (240) and seasons (16) played
Touchdowns (104)
Receiving (14,734 yards, 1,070 receptions, 99 touchdowns)
Punt return (3,272 punt-return yards, 320 punt returns, 3 punt returns for touchdowns)
All-purpose yards (19,431)
Yards from scrimmage (14,924)

WR is a hard position to get into the HOF for.

So you've got one starter off 2001 Miami who might be an NFL Hall of Famer. I'm not arguing that they aren't one of the most talented teams to ever take the field. But A well coached team can beat a talented team.

A well coached team who also happens to be a talented team? That's an almost unstoppable recipe for a college football team. 2001 Miami wasn't that.
Nope I disagree. Tim Brown may not be in now but he will be one day. As for Jounson of course he is a future HOF player and here's why...

On top of that he still has 2-3 good years left in him. Frank Gore is another. He is 33 yards away from breaking 10,000 career rushing yards. Also he is the 49ers all-time leading rusher. With the way running backs are being used these days not to mention their short life span we may not see to many more break that milestone. So that's 3 right there.

Bottom line rather or not the rest of those guys get in or not, they still were some of the most dominate players at their position though out the 2000's. That's why so many consider the '01 Hurricanes the GOAT.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Totally agree with BamaJama on Johnson. 1st ballot HOF'er and he will tack on more stats over the next 2-3 yrs. Gore has had a good career but not sure about HOF.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Nope I disagree. Tim Brown may not be in now but he will be one day. As for Jounson of course he is a future HOF player and here's why...

On top of that he still has 2-3 good years left in him. Frank Gore is another. He is 33 yards away from breaking 10,000 career rushing yards. Also he is the 49ers all-time leading rusher. With the way running backs are being used these days not to mention their short life span we may not see to many more break that milestone. So that's 3 right there.

Bottom line rather or not the rest of those guys get in or not, they still were some of the most dominate players at their position though out the 2000's. That's why so many consider the '01 Hurricanes the GOAT.

2/3rds of those records were Texans franchise records not NFL records. The Texans have been around for just over a decade so those weren't hard records to set.

I'm not saying Johnson wont make the HoF. I'm saying WR's better than him still haven't' made it in. He's not a sure bet. He's one of the best of this generation sure, but we are in a pass happy generation & I'll be interested to see how he a lot of today's WR's & QB's shake out when it comes time for HoF voting. They can't all make it in.

And you can't count Gore. Gore wasn't really a contributing member of that team. He had 2 carries in the Championship game. Yeah he was on the roster, but he wasn't one of the reasons 2001 Miami was so good.

Again, great team. But you can write 200 more posts on them and it still wouldn't' convince me that they are the greatest team of all time. Most talented? Argue away, I'll probably jump in on your side. Best? Nope. ;)

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
2/3rds of those records were Texans franchise records not NFL records. The Texans have been around for just over a decade so those weren't hard records to set.

I'm not saying Johnson wont make the HoF. I'm saying WR's better than him still haven't' made it in. He's not a sure bet. He's one of the best of this generation sure, but we are in a pass happy generation & I'll be interested to see how he a lot of today's WR's & QB's shake out when it comes time for HoF voting. They can't all make it in.

And you can't count Gore. Gore wasn't really a contributing member of that team. He had 2 carries in the Championship game. Yeah he was on the roster, but he wasn't one of the reasons 2001 Miami was so good.

Again, great team. But you can write 200 more posts on them and it still wouldn't' convince me that they are the greatest team of all time. Most talented? Argue away, I'll probably jump in on your side. Best? Nope. ;)
Well we only got until the end of time for them to get in. It only goes to show you that some teams were so great and talented that players like him didn't hardly get to play. IE 2008 with $Cam and Tebow.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.