Urban Meyer: 08 Gators, best team to ever play

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Didn't they lose to Ole Miss that year? Lol yea no way they were the greatest team ever. I think the 2001 Miami Hurricanes is the best and most dominant team I have seen.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The two best teams I've seen in my lifetime both happened to play in 2011.
I was going to post this exact same thing. That Florida team was great, but not as good as the 2011 Alabama and LSU teams.

The Miami teams were pretty darned impressive, too. I won't get into the teams before the 80's because I have no direct recollection of those games, and the game is very different today.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
2001 Miami was better. Also 2009 Alabama was better than 2008 Florida. Not only did they go undefeated but they also drilled UF when they had like 20/22 starters back from last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
From the article:
One, any team that loses to a Houston Nutt-coached Ole Miss team that went 9-4 — UF lost to the Rebels in The Swamp, no less — doesn't deserve to be in any type of GOAT discussion.
I don't think I could have said it better.

I hate all the "Greatest of All Time" claims. It's so hard to compare teams across eras.

The best teams I have seen in my lifetime:
Alabama 2011
LSU 2011
Miami 2001
Nebraska 1994, 1995 (Probably the most efficient scoring machine I've ever seen)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
While it won't get a lot of support, I think the best team of all-time that never lost a game (certainly in my lifetime) was the 1991 Washington Huskies. If you get a chance to locate some of their games,watch them. They are so much like the 2011 Crimson Tide on both sides of the ball that it is absolutely frightening. An absolutely awesome defense, two backs - one big power back and a small runner (their version of Lacy and Yeldon), an incredible O-line. They also had a two-headed QB of Mark Brunell and Billy Joe Hoebert (AJ was obviously not as great in 11 as he became).

They not only beat everybody - they mauled all except one team. They drilled an 8-4 Stanford in Palo Alto (coached by former 49er head coach Bill Walsh), went into Nebraska and overcame a 21-9 third quarter deficit to pound the Huskers, 36-21. And don't let the score fool you. One of Nebraska's three TDs was caused by a punt fumble at the Huskies own three-yard line early in the second half. It's almost like Nebraska scored to put up a gap and it made Washington REALLY mad.

Their only close game was on the road in Berkley at 10-2 Cal, where they won by a TD. There are only TWO teams in the modern era that were unbeaten and had only one opponent within a score of them at the end: 1995 Nebraska and 1991 Washington. A lot of pundits think 95 Nebraska was the best ever but I'll note that Washington played a bit tougher schedule (if we're going to have that argument).

And btw - the 1990 version of this team probably should have been national champions. Yes, they lost two games, but remember that Colorado had a loss and a tie that year. And yes, Colorado beat the Huskies at home, 20-14, but if you've seen this actual game it's a lot like 2011 Alabama-LSU in Tuscaloosa in the sense that the team that generally played better lost. Washington was victimized both by a bad officiating call (that wouldn't happen today most likely), two key injuries to both receivers on the final drive (they actually had first and goal with a shot to win), one receiver falling down on the wet turf wide open in the end zone, and just a theatre of the bizarre. The 90 team was not the best of all-time but may have been one of those cases where the "best team this year" did not win the title.

However, there's a lot of debate on this. I cannot really say that 95 Nebraska or 01 Miami - both outstanding teams - were not better. But I can say this for certainty: losing to Houston Nutt at home pretty much rules out Urban's opinion from any form of reality.

I do, however, think part of this is a product of the fact most of us (self included) don't tend to stay up and watch most West Coast games. It was much harder back then because there was no Net, no ESPN2, and prime time on ABC or CBS almost never happened. Fewer games = fewer chances to see.

Anyway, that's my view.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Didn't they lose to Ole Miss that year? Lol yea no way they were the greatest team ever. I think the 2001 Miami Hurricanes is the best and most dominant team I have seen.
The last U team that won it all IMO, can't remember the year.
2001 Miami was better. Also 2009 Alabama was better than 2008 Florida. Not only did they go undefeated but they also drilled UF when they had like 20/22 starters back from last year.

I can't put a Larry Coker coached team as the best team ever.

Most talented? Absolutely in the discussion.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
The last U team that won it all IMO, can't remember the year.

Well we are talking about the greatest ***TEAM*** of all time not ***COACH***.

And who do you think controls the greatest ***TEAM***? Wouldn't that be the ***COACH***?

Also, that's a super weird way to write both team & coach. I don't like it.

Seriously, that's why the quote "He can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n," exists about Bear Bryant. A team is more than the sum of it's players.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
And who do you think controls the greatest ***TEAM***? Wouldn't that be the ***COACH***?

Also, that's a super weird way to write both team & coach. I don't like it.

Seriously, that's why the quote "He can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n," exists about Bear Bryant. A team is more than the sum of it's players.
Of course an argument could then be made that this makes Miami 2001 even greater since they overcame the ineptitude of Larry Coker.

I'm just saying.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.